Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chevy Monza Histories And Photos

Which Monza was that Rod?

I've managed to unearth another photo of the Whincup Monza,

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And here are a few other Monza's which have been in australian Sports sedan racing,

The Bob Jane Monza

Which is now a Toyota Supra,

The Jeff Barnes Monza

The Geoff Munday Monza,

And Bob Blacklaw's Monza, which is currently residing in the Bathurst Museum of Motor Sport.

Those are fantastic photos timbo. The Barnes car is the old DeKon 1001, though much changed over the years. Do you have any info on the Munday and Blacklaw cars? Were they Australian built?

So just how many Monza's did Graeme Whincup race? I always assumed it was two, but the second and third cars here look completely different from each other. In fact, the Blaupunkt car looks a lot like the Bob Jane Monza.

Name:  Scans_84.jpg
Views: 2892
Size:  139.6 KB

Name:  scn0017.jpg
Views: 3302
Size:  76.6 KB

Name:  scn0001h.jpg
Views: 2618
Size:  71.4 KB

First photo is from Mike Feisst.

Couple more from Mike Feisst; Art McKee in the Grant King Monza (now being restored to this guise) and Red Dawsons DeKon 1001.

Name:  Chev Monza Pukekohe Jan 1977.jpg
Views: 2628
Size:  107.4 KB

Name:  Red Dawson Chev Monza Pukekohe Jan 77.jpg
Views: 2566
Size:  105.6 KB

Another from Mike Feisst, John Briggs in DeKon 1001, as pictured above with Dawson, and in timbos earlier post as later raced by Jeff Barnes.

Name:  Scans_26.jpg
Views: 2878
Size:  96.9 KB

short clip from my archives

(I have a tad more if anyone is interested..)
    Last edited by faminz; 06-15-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Thats amazing Brett, I'd love to see more!

didya notice the sidchrome mustang?

ill see if I can create a longer clip tonight Steve

Brett, I'd love to see as much of that race as you can provide. Thats some really magic footage.

As well as Moffats Monza and Richards in the Sidchrome Mustang, Pete Geoghegan is leading in the Laurie O'Neil owned HJ/HQ Monaro built up by John Sheppard. This car was pretty impressive, running a fuel injected small block Chevy, GT40 knock-off wheels, and two Hewland LG600 trans-axles which you can just hear whining as the car goes past.

Also in there is Colin Bond in the Holden Dealer Team built Beast MkIII Torana sports sedan. And you just get a glimpse of Ron Harrop in the Repco EH Holden in the background.

At a guess I'd say this was round 2 of the 1976 Australian Sports Sedan Championship, which would mean this was the first time the HDT Beast MkIII had raced.

What else have you got Brett?

An easy way to pick out the Bob Jane Monza over all the other Monza's is to look at the windscreen. The Bob Jane Monza has its windscreen set back from the A pillar, which you should just be able to make out in the following photo.

If anyone watched OneHD televisions RPM show on Tuesday night, you would have seen the interview with Des Wall and a look through his quite large garage.
    The Toyota Supra sports sedan is there, and Des said he does intend to restore it as the Chev Monza, but at the moment he is restoring the ex HDT Torana sports sedan as driven by Colin Bond and mentioned in the previous post.

Here is a photo of Des driving it quite a while ago now.

Thanks for the info timbo, thats great. Did both cars share body molds?

Good to hear the HDT Torana is to be restored. Does Des Wall still own the Bob Jane HQ Monaro?

Des doesn't have the moulds for the HDT Torana, but thinks he knows where they might be. he is basically restoring the fibreglass panels that are on the car.
    Des still owns the Bob Jane HQ Monaro, now back to Improved Production specifications.
    He also has the Geoghegan Mustang, a Dodge Viper GT/Sports car, a Porsche GT3S GT/Sports car which son David drives, The Toyota Supra sports sedan, the HDT Torana sports sedan, and a Corvette Trans-Am bodied sports sedan which Des often drives in the Aust. Sports Sedan championship.
    Thats my kind of garage.

Yes, mine too.

Has he had a chance to race the Monaro yet? I know the restoration was completed a couple of years ago.

Re the HDT Beast III, was the bodywork changed over the years or does it still look like it did back in '76?

He has raced the Geoghegan Mustang, but I think he has only taken the Monaro out for some demonstration runs.
    I'm not sure how the Monaro fits in with the Historic Touring Car catagories.

Re the HDT III Torana, it still looks pretty much the same as it was in the HDT days, except of course for a different paint scheme. It even still has the original Repco-Holden V8 engine, which is a big bonus.

The Monaro should fit within the Historic Touring Car categories as it has been restored to its 1972 Improved Production guise, which qualifies it for that, just like the Geoghegan Mustang he has.

The HDT Torana sounds like a real time-warp. Its rare a car built for Sports Sedans should make it through its career without being chopped up. Amazing it still even has its original engine!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    What else have you got Brett?
    oh quite a bit ive gathered over the years Steve...
    All of that race of course..
    6 F5000 races from Oz featuring Graeme Mcrae (a couple in colour)
    all the welly street races
    lots of canam races
    rally NZ's
    tons TONS of F1 stuff going back to the 60's
    lots of Wayne Huxfords stuff going waaay back
    etc etc etc

if you lived in welly you could drop round and have a look...

I just wish we could get TVNZ to open its archives and let us get some of that older footage

Wow, fantastic! Well for a start I'd love to see the full length coverage of the above Sandown Sports Sedan race, and the second race too if you have it. Geoghegan won one of them, Moffat the other. I'm sure there are several others on here who'd love to see it too. Thanks Brett.

heres the youtube links
    Ive made it so you HAVE to use the link to see the file. ie: the general public cant find it on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e77wOVQqRXY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnA0WJCKebE

delete my other download link steve

Wincups, the one in the photo, I was helping Steve with Pacific, I got a call that I had to go to Upper Hutt for family so was looking for a lift when Robin said he needed some one to drive the transporter, so it worked out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Which Monza was that Rod?