Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chevy Monza Histories And Photos

Sorry Steve, the one as it was on NZ tour in post 449 that is at Puke i think.

Baypark - 1979/80 season

Name:  img116.jpg
Views: 1986
Size:  182.4 KB

The last Monza that Graeme Whincup had was sold in 2001 from memory.... the second year that Jamie was in Formula Ford.
    I think the Monza headed to QLD..... at about the same time Graeme also sold IH Transporter used for the Monza, which was the original Bridgestone Racing truck that was similar to Allan Moffat's.

Thanks Leo. So did Whincup have two or three Monza's?

Steve, I'm thinking it may have been 2, but I could be wrong, may have just been 1 re-bodied. That's a good question for Graeme or Myles...

Speaking of Myles..... he supplied some of his artwork today for posting on here

These are its doors!

Last edited by Leo D; 06-24-2011 at 01:47 PM.

GREAT post there Leo! Where did those first guise body molds come from? Are they something made by Pat Purcell? Were they purchased already completed? I see it was fitted with "Jim Richards" wheels? Didn't JR own a Bob Jane T-Marts around this time? I assume he put his name to a wheel styled by Bob Jane T-Marts as opposed to releasing his own brand of wheel? I didn't even know there was such a thing as Jim Richards wheels. Anyone got more info on these?

Think there may be a set in Waikato on a mustang that some one has owned for very long time, if not on one of his cars he has them in shed. One of the Mustangs has the wheels off John Goss's blue Bathurst winning coupe, and original engine from JR'S Mustang (Webers and all). Now this could be another story some time (get his permission first)

I suggest Myles would be the best man to answer the bodywork questions...... you have to drag him away from the Camaro thread first though :-)

Jim Richards did have a "T-Mart" in the Melbourne suburb of Preston in the mid to late 1980's, after that, as far as i know he had another out Oakleigh (East of Melbourne) way..... but that was along long time ago....

Thanks for the info there guys. Rod, do you know if the JR wheels are of his own making, or has he put his name to a wheel style created by Bob Jane T-Marts? Come to think of it, didn't JR's Falcon hardtop Sports Sedan have similar wheels to the Monza?

Thats where they came from, the Falcon. He painted the Falcon and other cars for Jim, has alot of gear off some pretty famous cars.

Murray Bunn was a very talented "Kiwi" that had a lot to do with Jims cars... particularly the Mustang and especially the Falcon which he built.... now there's a story waiting to be told..

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    GREAT post there Leo! Where did those first guise body molds come from? Are they something made by Pat Purcell? Were they purchased already completed? I see it was fitted with "Jim Richards" wheels? Didn't JR own a Bob Jane T-Marts around this time? I assume he put his name to a wheel styled by Bob Jane T-Marts as opposed to releasing his own brand of wheel? I didn't even know there was such a thing as Jim Richards wheels. Anyone got more info on these?
    Steve;the Pat Purcell was the Master Mechanic,they had to 'Hire' a 'Kiwi' to do thier body and Paint!!!!!!!!!!!!

I purchased a model (which I still have in the 2o/ft Locker!!) of a Zachspeed Capri as this was the car that Pat said, we should style our Monza on considering the success the Capri's where having...I made the 'bucks' and with time restrictions we contracted Mr Neil McArther of 'McArther Fibreglass' fame..(he made all the body kits for Peter Brock/HDT)to make the Moulds and then the parts as required.............then I fitted (And Modified!) a lot of the 'new' parts.........then 'Custom Paint' Time..Acryilic with 'Clear' over coats.......sign writen by a great 'brush' artist Laurie Knutt..no 'Bloody'stickers in those days...most of this work was done at night as every body refused to work with me because of the 'Stink.........was it personal do you think????........regards thunder427/MJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Thats where they came from, the Falcon. He painted the Falcon and other cars for Jim, has alot of gear off some pretty famous cars.
    Which car are you referring to Rod? The Monza or the Mustang in the Waikato?

Quote Originally Posted by thunder427 View Post
    Steve;the Pat Purcell was the Master Mechanic,they had to 'Hire' a 'Kiwi' to do thier body and Paint!!!!!!!!!!!!

I purchased a model (which I still have in the 2o/ft Locker!!) of a Zachspeed Capri as this was the car that Pat said, we should style our Monza on considering the success the Capri's where having...I made the 'bucks' and with time restrictions we contracted Mr Neil McArther of 'McArther Fibreglass' fame..(he made all the body kits for Peter Brock/HDT)to make the Moulds and then the parts as required.............then I fitted (And Modified!) a lot of the 'new' parts.........then 'Custom Paint' Time..Acryilic with 'Clear' over coats.......sign writen by a great 'brush' artist Laurie Knutt..no 'Bloody'stickers in those days...most of this work was done at night as every body refused to work with me because of the 'Stink.........was it personal do you think????........regards thunder427/MJ
    Thanks Myles. So was this Monza built from scratch in Aus, or was it imported from the US and modified?

Name:  2005_0316Image0027.JPG
Views: 1949
Size:  109.0 KB

the wincup monza (which one, im not sure)
    (with my young chap looking for the start button.)
    This shot was taken on the gold coast around 2005 and the car was stored in my brothers workshop. it was still being used occasionally and ended up on display at Peter Champions.

World Champion
    I remember Peter Sloman had one that he raced at Te Marua and Palmerston North Speedway late 70s early 80s. There was someone as at PN as well, amongst the Sunbeam Tigers and Dennis Dromgools Fiat 850

There have been lots of Monzas and Skylarks, etc raced on the NZ speedway tracks, some are still around today, although the only Monza connection with most is a fibreglass replica body.
    USA visitor Tony Vilante.

Peter Sloman

Gary McKelvie

Palmy Saloons.
    Last edited by pallmall; 07-27-2011 at 12:56 AM.

The Mustang
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Which car are you referring to Rod? The Monza or the Mustang in the Waikato?

I was lucky enough to be working for Paton - Black back in those days at Waikaraka with Wally Page for a while. When Tony Valante came over I took them around the different tracks, it was a interesting trip. His car was very light steel (tin) with rubber front and back. Tony had a mechanic Tom Corbin who's family had a big grain supply outfit and he also was a top racer back home. Tony was a rice farmer and involved in a big motorsport supply outfit called Tognotti's. They supplied everything from complete cars to nuts and bolts and from Nascar, drag, offroad to speedway, very big in speedway. The car was a Chev Monza one night and a Oldsmobile Starfire the next, depending on the promotion.
    Should post this in other thread suppose but it was my first sight of a Monza (body shape)

World Champion
    The Bryant and Simpson one number 62 in post#57 is, I thought Peter Sloman, when I was first taken to Te Marua Speedway in 1979??? Dad bought me a large photograph of it. it is notable because of the US flag on the roof to go with the brilliant red. It is the only thing I remember from that meet, although I have vague memories of an Odlins VW Beetle (Tom DOnovan). I am sure if Dad reads this he will be able to correct this, for me, like I say though this over 30 years ago and I was 6 at my first speedway meet.