Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
Name:  BMW M3.jpg
Views: 3284
Size:  106.6 KB

I still vividly recall the first time I saw an image of how the new upcoming BMW E30 M3 Group A car was to look. It was an artists impression in Australian Auto Action magazine, in late 1986 or early 1987, of the new JPS cars that would attack the 1987 Australian Touring Car Championship, to try and regain the ATCC title that Jim Richards had won for the team in 1985.
geeze I remember that article like it was yesterday and I thought oh oh, we could have a pocket rocket here. Whilst at a round of the 1986 ATCC, I thnk it was Surfers Paradise, it must have been because P.Brock had a rare win, Longhurst was belting around in a 3 series BMW instead of the second 635, and he was giving everyone else curry through the twisty bits, just losing out down the straights. I asked one of the blokes in the JPS crew what they had done to it, and he replied Frank is just sorting out some suspension components we expect to be running next year in the M3. He added that it wasnt strictly illegal but if no-one protests then it doesnt really matter does it, if it looks like getting anywhere we will bring it in.