Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Icebreaker ~ Hampton Downs

Nice work there Nigel

Thanks for posting these - always good to see your own car - mines the Citroen heading for possibly it's only ever victory.

The munted Renault got loose in the oil\saw dust on the sweeper understeered to the left and got a wheel onto the grass and then spun to the inside of the track hitting the wall.

Great to see a BX out there. Sad about the Renault. Fantastic photos.

Quote Originally Posted by EType View Post
    Thanks for posting these - always good to see your own car - mines the Citroen heading for possibly it's only ever victory.

The munted Renault got loose in the oil\saw dust on the sweeper understeered to the left and got a wheel onto the grass and then spun to the inside of the track hitting the wall.
    Hence my comment some posts back about tossers who continue to drive round dumping oil for others to cope with

Completely agree re tossers - if you look at the photos on Groundsky it had to be obvious to the drivers of these leaking cars what was happening.

Quote Originally Posted by EType View Post

Thanks EType. I love posting my photos to TRS so that you owners can see yourselves in action. Can't be too many BX Citroens racing these days. Also good to know what happened to the Renault - sad that it happened but at least there was no other driver directly involved. The oil drops must have happened on Saturday as I can't recall seeing any obvious signs on the Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by 225sloper View Post
    Nice work there Nigel
    Thanks - my pleasure.

Hi there,

This is my first post on here. Thanks to Oldfart that pointed me in this direction. Very interesting site and forum. Keep it up!!

The munted Renault is mine and yes, what has been explained by EType is what has happened. Apart from my loss I am glad everybody else avoided me somehow and I didn't cause heartache for others. I'm not making excuses because all the other drivers made it through the race but..........
    I would like to comment on something that I noticed that weekend. The Saturday oil spills and the Sunday one was soaked up with sand. Is it the norm in NZ to use sand? I have been under the impression that cement powder is/should be used because when the sand was being swept across the track by the back runners, at that stage, it did make it very slippery for the front runners the following lap.
    On the other hand, if cement was used, I'm sure they would've run out by Sunday in any case with all the mishaps that happened.

Regards
    Frans.

Quote Originally Posted by frans View Post
    I would like to comment on something that I noticed that weekend. The Saturday oil spills and the Sunday one was soaked up with sand. Is it the norm in NZ to use sand? I have been under the impression that cement powder is/should be used because when the sand was being swept across the track by the back runners, at that stage, it did make it very slippery for the front runners the following lap.
    On the other hand, if cement was used, I'm sure they would've run out by Sunday in any case with all the mishaps that happened.
    Only just back and still catching up. So sad to see that car (or any car) damaged as the variety of cars is what makes this series so special (for me anyway!).
    Having just had a call from Frans, (car almost back together and just needing paint) it is important to clarify. For oil spills, Hampton Downs use a specific "Spill Kit", not sand. As these are not cheap, then the circuit hirer has to pay for each kit used. it is then up to them to pass on the cost to any racer who dumps oil, if they so wish. Ditto track any damaged signage.