Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NZ GTHO Phase 3's that raced in Production Series....

1973 NZIGP Falcon GTH0 , No 80 was Tim Bailey

Semi-Pro Racer
    Thanks Bob for that confirmation

Ernie owned & raced a 1970...71 [green] phase 2 car was only raced in the south Island , not sure if any were in the NI at that point , I do remember it raced in SI GTX series & super car races only other I think was Jim Kennedy,s that was a GT SI car from Greymouth...... soon after that the ph 3 s came in ..........................

Was that the one your brother hit the drums with the rear quarter at Wigram?
    Imagine letting a teenager loose in a GTHO now.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant Sprague View Post
    Ernie owned & raced a 1970...71 [green] phase 2 car was only raced in the south Island , not sure if any were in the NI at that point , I do remember it raced in SI GTX series & super car races only other I think was Jim Kennedy,s that was a GT SI car from Greymouth...... soon after that the ph 3 s came in ..........................
    Thanks Grant
    Last edited by Ellis; 09-25-2013 at 03:54 AM.

John , Wayne [age between Gary & I ] was given the opportunity, to race the car at Wigram I am guessing about 18yrs old , in those days the car felt like a rocket ship I had driven it to Ruapuna [it was my turn for a drive on main road] for Ernie to race I probably 15 or 16 he trusted us I took a mate with me but was given instructions not to take it over 4000 rpm as it was rebult [engine] after Teretonga Dad was funny like that mind you I have two old farm hoppers at home one manual one auto for the girls to practice in , any way back to the story the only time Wayne drove the car prior was in a fly 1/4 at longbeach just south of Ashburton 143 mph that was about it , Wayne complained about rear brake lock up but forged on , you might see piks of the car with phase 3 stripes on it , that was after the side was replaced , the 44 gallon drums hurt the car some pride, I think JR had brought his phase 3 down that weekend among others , hard to remember as I was driving my car back in Timaru E93a lol [PS] Leo had said to Ernie why would you put a boy in a mans car , the price was paid] saying that to day we would all jump at the chance , because they are old clunkers in standard form .

Grant , this is a great anecdote - why would you put a boy in a mans car ? Ho, Ho, Ho....

Semi-Pro Racer
    John , Wayne [age between Gary & I ] was given the opportunity, to race the car at Wigram I am guessing about 18yrs old , in those days the car felt like a rocket ship I had driven it to Ruapuna [it was my turn for a drive on main road] for Ernie to race I probably 15 or 16 he trusted us I took a mate with me but was given instructions not to take it over 4000 rpm as it was rebult [engine] after Teretonga Dad was funny like that mind you I have two old farm hoppers at home one manual one auto for the girls to practice in , any way back to the story the only time Wayne drove the car prior was in a fly 1/4 at longbeach just south of Ashburton 143 mph that was about it , Wayne complained about rear brake lock up but forged on , you might see piks of the car with phase 3 stripes on it , that was after the side was replaced , the 44 gallon drums hurt the car some pride, I think JR had brought his phase 3 down that weekend among others , hard to remember as I was driving my car back in Timaru E93a lol [PS] Leo had said to Ernie why would you put a boy in a mans car , the price was paid] saying that to day we would all jump at the chance , because they are old clunkers in standard form .

Great story Grant...Thanks for posting

World Champion

I had a vague recollection of an image of Ernie in a Falcon from the late Kevin Thomsons photographs, however I was wrong it was Pat Monaghan, Ernie was in a Pacer sponsored by the Terminus Hotel. Unfortunately this was one collection that he had not let me copy and post here, this is the link to it, some great pics in here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/southsp...7629217101298/

Smile

Hi Guys, I owned Robbie Franicevics old GTHO Many years ago.The car colour was Yellow ochre (Karatane yellow). Had a lot of fun in this car and still kick myself for selling it, sold dit for $7,300. Quite willing to pay a little more to buy it back . How I and my mates survived I don't know. The car had an electronic cut out at 7100 rpm which was 140 MPh and had it working many times. The local cops in Tokoroa never managed to nab me. Sure as hell wish it was still in my garage but it was a pity they painted it red.
    Colin

Semi-Pro Racer
    Colin

Thanks for your comments and recount of your ownership.
    If it had the standard rev limiter it should have come in at 6150 but they were often disconnected and very unreliable.
    Do you remember what colour trim the car had please.

Ellis

Colin- get a South African XY Fairmont GT- exactly the same car, just not the name or badge.

Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    I had a vague recollection of an image of Ernie in a Falcon from the late Kevin Thomsons photographs, however I was wrong it was Pat Monaghan, Ernie was in a Pacer sponsored by the Terminus Hotel. Unfortunately this was one collection that he had not let me copy and post here, this is the link to it, some great pics in here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/southsp...7629217101298/
    Thanks seaqnmac for pik of the pacer & ho etc I might add I do remember the deal between Pat & Ernie , Ernie & Pete [pumpkin] went down to Gore to deliver the ho & came back with the Pacer , coming home to [Timaru] doing the usual 100 mph plus flat to the floor , in thie middle of the night raining !!!!! , I saw the Pacer in the morn with both sides completely dented the story goes as they were going through those S bends north of Wiamate, they found wondering across the road a mob of sheep .... bang , Ernie of Peter took the ear tags off some sheep [with ears???] as proof for ins ,a bit off the track any way Ernie wanted desperately to beat Pat at levels in the changed cars I think he did as the ho was a bitch for over steer & more suited for the pacer etc , could have been a good road trip story , later Pat sold the car to John Gillard , John runs the twin towers over at the Mount [ Tga]...
    Last edited by Grant Sprague; 09-25-2013 at 08:47 PM. Reason: add

Hey Grant, Ernie was good at cleaning up wild life he clipped on the road, remember a rabbit and his little mate at motel once on a trip to Bay Park in later years.

Ha ha ha , This was his usual act wasted nothing , he came from a very poor family as did mum ,Rod , I was racing SCANZ at Taupo Ernie was due up from Timaru to watch & was to meet my self & a few close mates at the motel , we all meet for a yarn , hot pool, & dinner & beers , ....Dad arrived .. he went to the car car brought out his trusty foxy [one of over a period of time] plus a fresh bunny road kill , he spread the news paper on the floor & the foxy got into the rabbit , the boys still talk about it lttle did they know it was normal for him to give the dog fresh rabbit better than most bought dog food , always thought out side the sqaure a bit off track this but worth a read , Roddy he was a hard task master but could not have gotten a better teacher great parents .

Thats the one Grant, and repeated at BP. He was humour and great company.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    These are Terry Marshall photos. First up in the Richard Brocklehurst car, which was white when it raced, but I believe it left the factory painted another colour? Was it green?

Also pictured is another shot of the Richards car, being chased by Robbie Francevic in his Phase III. The Francevic car was originally Yellow Ochre I believe.

Attachment 21724

Attachment 21725
    A painting from an original photo.

Name:  Copy of Painting 3.JPG
Views: 1532
Size:  144.9 KB

Red face

Attachment 22055Attachment 22056
    This is a very young Bruce Anderson. He had been pedalling a MK 1V Zephyr and stepped up to the big game. This was a wet day at Puke, could be the same day Richards rodgered Brocklehurst.
    Bruce had had a BIG spin and this photographer snapped part of the moment.
    Note the roundel for the number looks jagged.
    Thats because Anderson and Oleary were sawmillers and the roundal is painted to look like a circular saw.
    This car is now fully restored and still lives in NZ., registration number is very clear.
    Also note the car never ran a rear spoiler and petrol over flow down the rear quarter from its 1074 degree spin

This ones for Ellis and Rodgerd.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 10-08-2013 at 05:06 AM.

The" K-Mart" petrol cap in lieu of the original GT cap was a sure fire way of inducing spillage down the rear quarter but the glue on the original 3M stripes would hold up well unlike the repro stripes today.

Pete.

This is the first time I've seen pics of the Anderson car.