In a previous life I went with a client who was going to deal his tweaked purple XYGT on the ex Richards/Bowater? HO.
I was a pleasant summer’s day and we had driven the GT for a bit over an hour to find the lair of the HO.
Parked next to the HO was a metallic green “Bathurst” Monaro HG? Packing a 350 and with the roll bar correctly present under the pillar trims.
Onto the HO, it was a pale blue and had obviously been “driven”. On the plus side it seemed to have most of the correct HO bits (extra spring leaves, XA front suspension etc).
After examining the HO we went for an extensive “evaluation” drive.
The GT and the HO were fired up and nose to tail growled down the long gravel drive.
In the HO the suspension crashed and banged as we idled over the potholes. The well fed 351 proved to be surprisingly well mannered when driven in this manner. Just a mild shake from the air intake hinting that this engine would prefer to be turning a lot more revs.
In the GT the HO’s owner led us in convoy out into the nearby country side.
We had been pottering through the peaceful and largely deserted farmland for a time, I was listening for any untoward noises and generally evaluating the car, suddenly I heard the GT bark watched the rump squat and the nose lift as it roared out its challenge.
Game on; I smacked the top loader down a cog or 2 and let the Cleveland roar, 7000 or so through the gears as we launched off after the GT.
The road was typical of that area; straight narrow coarse chip with no centre line. Soon we had these 2 great cars side by side with well over 7000 showing on the HO’s fun indicator. We stayed in parallel for a distance just revelling in what was a very special motoring moment.
All too soon the country road ran out and I pulled back behind the GT. The speed bug was now satiated as we let the cars bluff aerodynamics wash off some of the speed. We motored slightly more sedately back to the lair of the HO only pausing to ensure the HO LSD was fully operational.
Yes side by side at that speed on a narrow road does focus ones attention. And as I relaxed shrugging my shoulders and realising how incongruous it seemed that the only spectators to our automotive indulgence was a hand full of disinterested sheep.
Even at the time it was apparent that this drive was something special and to be savoured and remembered.
By modern standards the HO is a hard riding and flocused implement but that is not the point, they were built to run and run long and hard. This they do superbly. Along the way and as an incidental bonus they provide a very special type of thrill.
The supercharged Boss I drove a few days ago was rapid but far more sanitary and uninvolving as it shook its IRS half to death when patching up the track.
If you have never dropped the clutch on a well fed 351 dialled on the required wrist or so of left lock to keep the beast on the road while banging it up through the gears you have missed a very special experience. On the other hand there is something very focusing about trying to stop a standard braked XY GT or HO from 150 or so when a car pulls out in front of you.

Yes I really miss driving those cars and I owe a heart felt thanks to those who provided the opportunity.
Cheers Guys; James Stewart