Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Race Car Transporters of the Past

Name:  cougar transport.jpg
Views: 5401
Size:  108.5 KB

Wouldn't something like this this add to HMC?

Ha! Fred Courtney STILL tows the Northland Special on a A-frame.......it used to be behind whatever Jag he had handy, but now it's behind his Falcon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
    The old primitive A frame towbar served many people well in frugal times...

and

Nothing like towing it with something thats suitable for spares in the event of problems

and

I would take any of these....dirt and all

Semi-Pro Racer
    Name:  vw transporter.jpg
Views: 3352
Size:  100.1 KB

It was not uncommon to see a single seater on the back of a VW. must have been a slow trip with 40 hp

Bob Anderson was a F1 privateer in the 60s - I am pretty sure he transported his Brabham Climax around on a VW Kombi 'ute' like this.

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoreboy57 View Post
    Attachment 21772

Always a favourite at Goodwood. Looks like an early Tyrrell transporter in background
    I can only dream in 1/43rd

Name:  VHOP%20!.jpg
Views: 2801
Size:  5.8 KB

How about this one?

Name:  S0295.jpg
Views: 2683
Size:  24.6 KB

One for McLaren CanAm fans

When I went to Indy with McLaren in 1973 we still used these slope backed trucks.

They must have made a great sight on the freeway

Semi-Pro Racer
    Note the spare 5 slotters....needed to have a few spares of those

Wonder where the car is now...

Semi-Pro Racer

VW Kombi Transporters

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
    Bob Anderson was a F1 privateer in the 60s - I am pretty sure he transported his Brabham Climax around on a VW Kombi 'ute' like this.
    I'm sure you are right Michael. Bob was an ex-motorcycle racer from what was then Rhodesia, who was killed in a testing accident at Silverstone in 1967. I recall photos of the VW with the Brabham on it, quite a tight fit.

Closer to home, here is Peter Hughes' VW transporter from 1969, with friends and family helping him to unload the Daimler V8 engined Lotus 25/33 at the NZ GP at Pukekohe.

The Kombi tray has been modified by the addition of a (?hinged) extension piece, with rope-cleats, for a canvas cover, presumably. The attitude (?altitude) of the front end of the Kombi is a bit alarming, I wonder how badly it handled on the road.

Stu Buchanan

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Ha! Fred Courtney STILL tows the Northland Special on a A-frame.......it used to be behind whatever Jag he had handy, but now it's behind his Falcon.
    And he got pinged for towing "an un-registered vehicle" on the way home from Leadfoot. Still no legal decision on this. The legislation states that you can temporarily tow an unregistered vehicle. Argument goes like this. It is not always on the back of the Falcon which would be permanent, so it must be temporary. This was suggested by LTSA as a defence. As I said, no decision so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
    Note the spare 5 slotters....needed to have a few spares of those

Wonder where the car is now...

Hi Ellis,65E must surely be out there somewhere.I presume this was the car that hit the wall at A.I.R. and the damage was certainly repairable.It is always going to be the one that got away.

Pete.

Weekend Warrior
    Is this for Real?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty Dog View Post
    Stuart Lewis-Evans and Tony Harris lowering their Cooper 500 Formula 3 racing car from the roof of a Land Rover at the Crystal Palace race circuit in September 1953.
    Attachment 21757

Spark Models plan to produce a 1:43rd model of this McLaren transporter.

Pre-orders accepted at www.spr-models.co.nz

These two classy Italian transporters were constructed on Fiat 642RN bus chassis by Bartoletti in Modena. They sold them to both Maserati and Ferrari in the late 50's and early 60's.

Name:  Maserati_transporter.jpg
Views: 3082
Size:  173.6 KB
    Name:  Ferrari_transporter.jpg
Views: 3098
Size:  173.8 KB

1:43rd models of these two are available from SPR Models

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    These two classy Italian transporters were constructed on Fiat 642RN bus chassis by Bartoletti in Modena. They sold them to both Maserati and Ferrari in the late 50's and early 60's.

Name:  Maserati_transporter.jpg
Views: 3082
Size:  173.6 KB
    Name:  Ferrari_transporter.jpg
Views: 3098
Size:  173.8 KB

1:43rd models of these two are available from SPR Models
    Pretty sure one of these Fiat transporters sold last year at auction in the US. It had been fully restored, and fetched a whopping US$990K!!..

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...ds-to-auction/

http://www.rmauctions.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=1053041

ConradName:  1956Fiattransporter_01_1500-700x393.jpg
Views: 2665
Size:  78.3 KB
    Last edited by conrod; 09-29-2013 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Awesome thread Terry. This is going to be great! And its not just transporters that are cool to see, any tow wagon from the period, be it a car or truck etc of interest. Great thing about old race car haulers was that the race car was almost always on display, unlike todays modern transporters.

Here is a more basic tow rig, HR Holden wagon hauling Rod Coppins' '67 Camaro, as part of Team Cambridge. Photo is by Terry Marshal..

Attachment 21727
    This is my first attempt to post a photo using the convoluted instructions
    I love this photo of Norm's Impalas. So typical of 50's & 60's to use big American V8's as tow cars

My father has many photos of the 50s racing in VIC,one day i will upload onto the net,as a teaser he has a photo of his Studebaker Golden Hawk towing by tow rope his Lago Talbot T26 to the 1956 Albert park AGP.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
    Bob Anderson's Brabham Climax at 1966 Dutch GP