Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Race Car Transporters of the Past

Team Lotus in tough times?

[IMG]http://www.theroaringseason.com/attachment.php?attachmentid

It is remarkable to see a Mini Moke towing a race car. I don't think I have ever see one tow a box trailer let alone a Lotus 47 race car.

The car on the back in 2nd shot is a Lotus 12 I believe, but could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
    Team Lotus in tough times?

[IMG]http://www.theroaringseason.com/attachment.php?attachmentid

It is remarkable to see a Mini Moke towing a race car. I don't think I have ever see one tow a box trailer let alone a Lotus 47 race car.

The car on the back in 2nd shot is a Lotus 12 I believe, but could be wrong.
    A second go... one day I may master this stupid process for loading photos

It's always handy to have a few spares....

how many of you have seen an MG pickup?

The Geoghegans on the move

In the good old days the main cars came on open transporters
    In this pic in addition to the Mustang there is probably a Lotus single seater plus maybe a Lotus 23 sports in the trailer.
    All so very simple
    Contrast this with recent release from Triple 8 V& supercar team that there new B Double transporter carried 53 TONNES of gear including the two race cars to each meeting. Yes' 53 Tonnes.
    I personally think this is obscene and obnoxious and indicates how out of touch with reality V8 supercars is.
    The racing was BETTER in the old days when Geoghegan, Beechey, Moffat and Jane arrived on open trucks.

was even better when they drove the race cars to the circuit, raced, then drove home.. no bumping and boring then

Quote Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
    A second go... one day I may master this stupid process for loading photos
    I didn't realise this Moke and Lotus 47 was so "famous". Photo taken in 1968.
    Apparently Spark made this model of it
    Very thoughtfully the "Gold Leaf Team Lotus" signage has been blurred so we don't get tempted to take up smoking.....

Supposedly the world's first race car transporter. Built by Mercedes in 1924. Prior to this race cars had been driven to and from on the road. Mercedes new Team Manager the legendary Alfred Neubauer ordered this be changed by building transporters.
    This is on the way to 1924 Monza GP
    Noter how front wheels of race car had to go over the triangular structure

Terry, your photos are not showing.

Don't give up, these are great.

I've scene a photo of it at a Mallala Gold Star meeting.

Years latter John Shepherd built a trailer the same to transport his Lotus22/23 cars around,nice touch and behind a Holden Caprice.

An ever so slight diversion off the topic title,as it is not a race transporter of the past, but rather a retro styled transporter that I am building at the present moment.

A 1975 Ford Transit LWB "Jumbo", it will be powered by a 4.0L Turbo engine from a Ford Territory. Rear windows will be panelled over, and will look absolutely stock from the outside. Will be used as a tow vehicle for a very special old Ford that is currently being built. Still a lot of work to do, but all of the major pieces are in place

Conrad

Last edited by conrod; 10-09-2013 at 10:00 AM.

On the road to Laguna Seca

I took this shot while travelling on the freeway to Laguna Seca in 1982.
    It would be nice to have these parked in the shed - including the retro transporter

Name:  Trailering-to-laguna-Seca-1.jpg
Views: 2874
Size:  134.3 KB

Hey Terry, could this be the early Mercedes transporter you were referring to

Name:  merc transp.jpg
Views: 2354
Size:  10.7 KB

This is the Cheetah Race car transporter built on a 300 mercedes chassis around 1960 can you spot the chev El Camino roof section grafted in to the rest of the custom aluminium body, powered by a 327 and powerslide auto

Name:  cheetah-transporter02.jpg
Views: 2467
Size:  26.1 KBName:  cheetah-transporter01.jpg
Views: 2479
Size:  25.6 KB

Name:  eifelland.jpg
Views: 3209
Size:  59.0 KBName:  Alpine rig.jpg
Views: 3488
Size:  33.5 KBName:  Ford D series.jpg
Views: 2926
Size:  10.4 KBName:  lovelylotus69uscontinental2hn.jpg
Views: 3292
Size:  40.0 KBName:  shitroen rig.jpg
Views: 2830
Size:  10.2 KBName:  VWtractortrailer_resized.jpg
Views: 3208
Size:  36.7 KB

Apparently this VW artic was used to tow a drag car and was seen at Calder park raceway, note the XY GT in the background
    Last edited by George Sheweiry; 10-14-2013 at 01:37 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    From Facebook ...In China
    Cars are 2 abreast on top row....wouldnt be much good in Tas or NZ with winding roads.

Semi-Pro Racer
    From Fb...This was Ron Hodgsons advertising should his car have won Bathurst in 73....