Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Race Car Transporters of the Past

One of the most famous early race car transporters.

Name:  209_0918_108b.JPG
Views: 3059
Size:  107.5 KB

Semi-Pro Racer

Trailer Rigs

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
    From Fb...This was Ron Hodgsons advertising should his car have won Bathurst in 73....

The above reminded me of the 10-car Transporter and trailer used in the early days of Formula Junior in 1959. It was run by Scuderia Madunina of Milan, who provided transport, mechanical and admin services for FJunior runners in Europe. Mostly Italians or Europeans in old-tech front-engined Stanguellini, Taraschi, Volpini etc.

I don't know what became of it when the British took over FJunior with light good-handling rear-engined cars.

Photo quality a bit dodgy, I'm sorry.

Stu

Hi All, Thought I'd throw a pic up of our rig - present time but still a bit old skool....and no - it doesn't have the petrol 4pot anymore. Thank goodness...
    Reece KillingbackName:  458.jpeg
Views: 2554
Size:  69.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
    I didn't realise this Moke and Lotus 47 was so "famous". Photo taken in 1968.
    Apparently Spark made this model of it
    Very thoughtfully the "Gold Leaf Team Lotus" signage has been blurred so we don't get tempted to take up smoking.....

Here's a shot with the Gold Leaf signage unblurred...

Name:  Lotus Mini Moke.jpg
Views: 5604
Size:  174.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Reeceracer View Post
    Hi All, Thought I'd throw a pic up of our rig - present time but still a bit old skool....and no - it doesn't have the petrol 4pot anymore. Thank goodness...
    I saw your rig at Hampton Downs earlier this year at the Festival (or was it last year?) Looks like a real minter! What engine is in it now?

Conrad

When I got it a few years back it already had a Mazda 3 litre diesel with 5 speed & splitter out of a Titan. That went alright but then I threw a Subaru turbo/skyline intercooler at it and it was like night and day! 20 Mins quicker from the Mount to Taupo racetrack with less fuel and gear changes! Why they made diesels without turbos is beyond me.....Nothing worse than a slow camper - there's enough on the roads already....
    Reece.

Name:  tqinboot.jpg
Views: 3029
Size:  84.4 KB

This is probably my favorite Speedway photo so should go in this thread.
    Johnny Missan on left (the inventor of three quarter midget (TQ) racing in NZ used to travel down to NP to race at Waiwakahio Speedway in the mid 50's. Thats my father on the right, Johnny Callender.

Oh man, I love this thread! These images are just so fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie Callender View Post
    Name:  tqinboot.jpg
Views: 3029
Size:  84.4 KB

This is probably my favorite Speedway photo so should go in this thread.
    Johnny Missan on left (the inventor of three quarter midget (TQ) racing in NZ used to travel down to NP to race at Waiwakahio Speedway in the mid 50's. Thats my father on the right, Johnny Callender.
    Laurie, this is a great photo! Is that your dads Ford coupe? Looks like a 1938?

I wonder if they upgraded the engine on the Moke. Surely wasn't standard

Semi-Pro Racer
    Might have been one of the 'TWINNI MOKE' two engine versions made for the army.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoreboy57 View Post
    I wonder if they upgraded the engine on the Moke. Surely wasn't standard

No not my Dad's, probably Johnny Missen's vehicle.
    Looks like they had personalised plates in those days too, lol.
    Last edited by Laurie Callender; 10-25-2013 at 08:54 AM.

Yeah, certainly a neat place Laurie!

Quote Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
    The missing photo of the Stillwell transporter

The only other photo I have seen of Stillwell transporter. At Longford with Stillwell & Brabham in early 60's.
    It is obvious that even for champions that self catering was the order of the day in those times

Last edited by Terry S; 11-23-2013 at 04:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeceracer View Post
    Is that the ex Ian McKeown Imp?

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    One of the most famous early race car transporters.

Name:  209_0918_108b.JPG
Views: 3059
Size:  107.5 KB
    "Famous" is very subjective and depends on one's exposures, country, toys etc
    In my humble opinion the three most famous transporters are:
    1......The Ecurie Ecosse one shown above in post #19. So many of us had the Corgi model when we were kids (wist I still had it)
    Was my first exposure to racing. The beautifully restored model shown at events like Goodwood revival sets the memory going.

2......The Ferrari 3 car open transporters as shown above in post # 37. Here a model but much later than the Corgi and for serious collectors only. I don't think anyone had one as a toy. Were famous because seen carrying such beautiful cars in exotic locations.
    I will post some photos later.

3......The Mercedes Renntransporter as shown above in post # 20. Described as "the fastest race car transporter in the world".
    Made famous by its replica and the models of it. I will describe further in a separate post.

I believe the BRM transporter shown is very similar to those used by the English F1 teams of the time such as Cooper, Brabham, Lotus etc and is not "famous" by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by JAFA View Post
    Is that the ex Ian McKeown Imp?
    I saw this at the V8 Supercar Meeting at Pukekohe at the beginning of the year.
    Yes it is...but doesn't run the Nissan anymore. I can't remember what motor is in it now.

[QUOTE=Ellis;34203]Probably the first race car transporter to come to Tasmania......Longford

Ellis, having a look at other things in the paddock:
    -......The white Dodge truck. Brian Foley and Laurie Stewart used to have one of these for transporting their two Minis. Could this be it? Tyres on top may be a clue.
    -......The Beechey car in background. Most likely Chevy Nova, but could be Monaro 327.

Name:  transporter.jpg
Views: 2549
Size:  44.0 KB

How about this one?

Terry, you really are going to have to get on top of the photo posting, missed yet again!