Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Peter Mellor Collection - Part 3

Photos: The Peter Mellor Collection - Part 3

Name:  Surtees.jpg
Views: 2552
Size:  122.9 KB

We've had huge interest in Parts 1 and 2 of the Peter Mellor Collection of historic Australian motor racing photos. Part 1 focused on Touring Cars. Part 2 was Sports Cars. Part 3 is Single Seaters.

Once again, these photos are Queensland based, predominantly at Lakeside. And once again, they are just stunning! All of them are in colour, and capture the cars both on the track and in the pits, along with several of the drivers. Many of these are from Tasman Series races, so international viewers will recognise most of the faces and cars. There is surely nothing better than the contrast created by mixing period state of the art race cars, with basic, grassy pit areas, that these images provide. They tell the story of an era when even the pinnacle of the sport still retained at least some ties with its grass-roots.

My thanks again to Pete for allowing these great images to be shared here.

OK, lets kick this thing off with this great shot of Jack Brabham, in his Brabham BT7A, sans partial bodywork, at Lakeside in 1964. This is the Tasman Series event, which Jack won. I assume this shot is from an early practice session.

Name:  39m.jpg
Views: 2594
Size:  129.7 KB

Another shot of Jack.

Name:  31m.jpg
Views: 2182
Size:  85.0 KB

Frank Matich enters the track, again, sans lower bodywork, in his Brabham.

Name:  44m.jpg
Views: 2323
Size:  134.0 KB

Graham Hill and the 4wd Ferguson.

Name:  Hill 2.jpg
Views: 2063
Size:  182.5 KB

Nice shot of a chilled-out looking Bruce McLaren.

Name:  46m.jpg
Views: 2097
Size:  101.0 KB

The beginning of another great series of photos.

So far a combination of the February 17, 1963 Lakeside International 'Gold Star' meeting (Surtees Lola & Hill's Ferguson). The others are from the February 23, 1964 Lakeside International meeting. Which was round 7 of the inaugural New Zealand & Australian Tasman Cup.

Stephen

Thanks for this Stephen.

Stunning shot here of Jim Clark in the Lotus. This is probably from 1965, I'm guessing.

Name:  Image40.jpg
Views: 1979
Size:  167.8 KB

Here is another shot of Hill with the 4wd Ferguson, this time at speed.

Name:  Image7.jpg
Views: 1757
Size:  144.3 KB

Superb shot this one, just look at the clarity! Remember, this is 50 years old. Climax motor, possibly in the back of Bib Stillwell's Brabham.

Name:  Image2.jpg
Views: 1762
Size:  181.3 KB

Jean-Pierre Jarier modelled the colours on his helmet on those of his hero Jim Clark. Except Jumper's helmet was green and white instead of dark blue and white.

In that beautiful shot, you can almost understand how he thought green not blue.

Jack Brabham looking thoughtful. I wonder what he is thinking? Note how battered his helmet looks.

Name:  Brabham 4.jpg
Views: 2574
Size:  109.6 KB

Another shot of Clark. These are amazing!

Name:  Image42.jpg
Views: 1640
Size:  127.7 KB

OK, if I had to guess, I'd say this was Greg Cusack. What event is this though? His car has been given #1.

Name:  PC310012.jpg
Views: 1692
Size:  130.9 KB

Mechanics tinker with the 4wd Ferguson, while Hill wanders around behind the car, suited up and waiting to jump in.

Name:  Hill 3.jpg
Views: 1606
Size:  164.3 KB

Does anyone want to ID whose car this is?

Name:  15m.jpg
Views: 1582
Size:  170.1 KB

My best guess is that this is Bob Holden's Lynx Peugeot in it's 1962 form.

It's listed in the February 9-11, 1962 Lakeside International programme with Bob's famous #13 and I suspect this is the partially visible number on this car.

Stephen

Definitely Peugeot 403 based engine. I love these creations!

Semi-Pro Racer
    Not a bad guess Stephen. I reckon that is Bob with the striped shirt. Looks like an elevator boot on his right foot. Who put the blower on it and when? There is a shot of Bob sitting in the car at Catalina amongst the Bruce Wells photos.
    Dale.