Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photos: The Peter Mellor Collection - Part 3

Thanks you guys, fantastic!

The Peter Mellor Collection - Part 3

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Harvey View Post
    Not a bad guess Stephen. I reckon that is Bob with the striped shirt. Looks like an elevator boot on his right foot. Who put the blower on it and when? There is a shot of Bob sitting in the car at Catalina amongst the Bruce Wells photos.
    Dale.
    Dale,

There's a 3 page feature on the Lynx Peugeot in SCW's first 'Australian Motor Racing Annual' - this being the one that covers the 1964 Tasman, etc. Potentially it exists in one of the monthly SCW issues also.

Basically it says Bob rebuilt it to the later supercharged, sleeved to under 1500cc, Peugeot 404 (instead of the 403) engine format. "Dissatisfied with the car's output and performance, Holden decided to rebuild it from the tyres up and fit a supercharged engine for more torque and reliability."

Happy to scan for anyone interested - just pm an email address.

Stephen

Frank Matich in the Brabham at Lakeside, likely from 1964.

Name:  PC310018.jpg
Views: 1255
Size:  99.7 KB

Notice there is also a photo of Jack Brabham with side pods not on. Wonder why they ran like this or was it practice.

They'd just be practice photos Rod, although I'd be interested to know why they chose to circulate with some of the bodywork missing.

driver cooling I understand. also used at monaco by Stirling Moss.

Quote Originally Posted by 928 View Post
    driver cooling I understand. also used at monaco by Stirling Moss.
    I recall seeing Stirling Moss do the same thing at Warwick Farm I think a Lotus 18

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Frank Matich enters the track, again, sans lower bodywork, in his Brabham.

Attachment 21795
    Matichs helmet would have been immaculate wasn't he the local agent for Bell helmets and advertised "'If you have a ten dollar head buy a ten dollar helmet'"

Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ghost View Post
    Matichs helmet would have been immaculate wasn't he the local agent for Bell helmets and advertised "'If you have a ten dollar head buy a ten dollar helmet'"
    That remark was aimed at Steve Haritos, who made Eldorado helmets at the time.

That was a stock advertising jingle from Bell USA for years.

Journeyman Racer
    Last edited by Greg Mackie; 10-31-2013 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ghost View Post
    "'If you have a ten dollar head buy a ten dollar helmet'"
    I love that!

I had a chance to speak to Bob Holden about the Lynx-Peugeot shown in post #17 of this thread at Sandown Historics yesterday.

Basically it was a very long time, and hundreds of races ago for Bob. Also, a lot of cars ago for this near 81 yo to recall exactly. But eventually I coaxed some info out of him regarding the Lynx. He said that the chap in the beige clothing is Dick Brown, who helped Bob out during that period. There was also mention of Phil Chilcott, who helped Bob build the car. Bob also mentioned of himself recently being reminded upon seeing a photo, how at a 'Tasman' meeting at Sandown, Bruce McLaren asked Bob "Where did you get this car?" Bob telling him, "We built it." With Bruce then saying "This car is on the drawing board at Coopers." Bob then mentioned how Bruce then showed a keen interest in the car and even had a drive of the Lynx at one stage. Now Bob wasn't able to be specific on dates, just that it was a Tasman meeting. But my best guess is that it was either 1962 or 1963, which is before the Tasman offically started in 1964. But one thing drivers and mechanics of this era are all quite happy to refer to pre-Tasman 'International' events as Tasman regardless.

Stephen

To complete the jingle :
    'If you have a ten dollar head buy a ten dollar helmet
    If your head is worth more, buy a Bell.'