Thread: chassis numbers, hlstory, and who drove them

Smile chassis numbers, hlstory, and who drove them

Ok, so I have to admit, the roaring season has to be an addiction of mine, and many others I am sure.one thing about this site is all the great history, stories, and photos, and discussion on who drove what etc, etc.
    and as time goes on, things like chassis numbers seem to have a big impact on settling arguements on who drove a certain car, as well as providing sellers, or investors with peace of mind.
    so im going to start off with a chassis number of a car I have driven, that we know nothing of its first ten years history, and see if anyone can help
    its a 1988 reynard ff2000/formula continental, that raced in the states by andrew sedgwick and also barry haynie chassis no 086.
    hope someone can help.
    also if you have a car lying round you dont know much about, post its chassis no here and see how you get on.
    Last edited by paul lancaster; 10-04-2013 at 06:25 AM. Reason: didnt proof read it

Dangerous ground Paul!

Semi-Pro Racer
    There is a couple of Brabhams up Auckland way that have the same chassis number.....one has been here for years..with history....one hasn't. ..find them when checking CODs at Hampton Downs.
    Roger

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by paul lancaster View Post
    Ok, so I have to admit, the roaring season has to be an addiction of mine, and many others I am sure.one thing about this site is all the great history, stories, and photos, and discussion on who drove what etc, etc.
    and as time goes on, things like chassis numbers seem to have a big impact on settling arguements on who drove a certain car, as well as providing sellers, or investors with peace of mind.
    so im going to start off with a chassis number of a car I have driven, that we know nothing of its first ten years history, and see if anyone can help
    its a 1988 reynard ff2000/formula continental, that raced in the states by andrew sedgwick and also barry haynie chassis no 086.
    hope someone can help.
    also if you have a car lying round you dont know much about, post its chassis no here and see how you get on.
    Paul,

You're opening a can of worms, so don't get me started. It would be nice to see the truth but unfortunately many of our fellow beings are simply, deceitful bastards.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSS CUNNINGHAM View Post
    Paul,

You're opening a can of worms, so don't get me started. It would be nice to see the truth but unfortunately many of our fellow beings are simply, deceitful bastards.
    Oh come on give us all the dirt, I know you know a bit Russ, and could tell a tale or two, you don't have to give names and current address, but some might pucker up a bit!
    Roger

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer Rog View Post
    Oh come on give us all the dirt, I know you know a bit Russ, and could tell a tale or two, you don't have to give names and current address, but some might pucker up a bit!
    Roger
    Rog, As I get older I don't really give a fig. Let them pucker!!!! On the other hand? What about the Nerus? sportscar, currently advertised on Trademe. Just a tease??????

Quote Originally Posted by RUSS CUNNINGHAM View Post
    Paul,

sorry russ, I wasnt trying to open anything, just trying to trace the history of our car through its chassis number, and it may be a touchy subject, as a chassis number is , an identity, a name so to speak, and along with logbooks is also a way of tracing its racing history.
    its a shame some "rebadging" happens, especially when racing history, is attached to that paticular number, and whats the point of doing it in the first place.

sorry russ, I wasnt trying to open anything, just trying to trace the history of our car through its chassis number, and it may be a touchy subject, as a chassis number is , an identity, a name so to speak, and along with logbooks is also a way of tracing its racing history.
    its a shame some "rebadging" happens, especially when racing history, is attached to that paticular number, and whats the point of doing it in the first place.
    One reason it was done was to circumvent paying the bond to customs eg sometimes, when a car was imported to race for the Tasman series, instead of paying full import duty a bond would be secured usually via an insurance company and then after the season ended the car would be shipped out of NZ and the bond would be quashed, the importer only paid a smallish insurance premium.
    In some cases I know of, where the importer wanted to keep the car but avoid the duty, the chassis number would be tacked to some other bag of bolts, the fake shipped off and the real deal would stay in the country. After some time the same chassis number would be replaced on the genuine (now local) car and voila! some time in the future two Brabham owners arguing over who has the original iteration.

As told by Coopers "We did not have much money, so we would buy 3 carnets at the beginning of the season, and they related to the chassis plates. I could have told you at the time which chassis plate was used by a driver at a particular event, which chassis it was attached to I have no idea at all" (or words to that effect)

hope someone can help.
    Hi again all,well an update on history progress for our reynard,our chassis no is 086,and the chassis craig lowndes raced was 087,imported in to aus by david ratcliff,who brought in 4 chassis.who else drove for david?