Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RUSH

RUSH

Who's seen it?

I'm unsure I want to. My fear is that its been 'Hollywooded' to appeal to a wider audience. I hope I'm wrong, I have heard good things.

It was ok, but not the full story. Yes a movie and while I enjoyed it I would not go again. Compare that to Senna and that I have seen 3 times... The ending was factual with todays Niki talking about his relationship with James.

Really enjoyed it - Niki seems happy with it and the Hunt website seem happy as well, given how poorly the movie could have turned out (I recently watched Steve McQueen's Le Mans) it's a pass and my wife who isn't into motorsport at all loved it.

I guess I am a bit swayed towards Steve & Spgeti......my own expectations might be asking much, as followed Jame's career when he was with Heskeith , plus brother Gary travelled with him [james] through europe F3 so had all the inside info.......... after watching Hunt & lauda 76.77 ? Brands Ernie & I were on the crn they tangled first or 2nd lap lap was a really hot day ....... to be honest I think I might watch it when it gets released on TV........ Hey dont get me wrong the movie sounds good but getting a taste of reality spoils the soul, they were just fantastic days back then lose & fancy free............have a great weekend boys

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
    Who's seen it?
    My wife and I went to see it together with a well known motor racing historian/author and his wife. Now stop perching on the fence Michael, our wives enjoyed it and although you and I both caught most of the glaring historical inaccuracies it was an entertaining watch.

If you want factual info on either man's career or even their relationship with each other, this is not the best place to look but it did capture a sense of the "WW2 Flying Ace" mentality of the era where the chances of being killed was high and consequently life was lived as if each day might be their last.

Today we are spoilt by the quality of the in car camera work together with multiple cameras around the track. I felt director Ron Howard tried to dramatise some of the racing footage which didn't work for anyone accustomed to modern coverage plus the film is probably not aimed at we anoraks.

Considering I am not ordinarily a movie fan I thought it worth seeing.

I have no idea who Howard thought he saw it with...

Unlike Howard, I am a movie fan. It isn't just the best motor racing drama ever, he says - carefully sidestepping confusing drama with the Senna movie - I think it is a damn good flick.

I promised myself I wasn't going to be all pedantic and look for faults and holes - and there are a few - because that isn't the point. Some faults are irrelevant - a wrong here, other stuff is just pure fiction - but its Hollywood, and it's bloody good in my opinion.

Love interest summed it up as the credits rolled 'Good on you Opie'. When it comes on Sky, I'll no doubt watch it again - after all, I watched 'Blues Brothers' for the 467th time on Friday. 'Orange whip?'

I saw it. Didn't think it was too bad.

I am as stunned with the lukewarm comments as I was with the film. As "movies" about motor racing go I don't expect to see a better one. It crosses the divide of fans and non-fans which can't be a bad thing - without destroying the true story of Hunt and Lauda. Sure, in the space of movie length format some facts had to be glossed over or ignored and some inaccuracies of a very minor kind were present.

To compare with "Senna" is unfair as one is a "movie" while the other is a doco. The doco, in my opinion, in this instance contains greater distortion than the movie, with the childish idol worship and glossing over of certain indisputable facts throughout "Senna", as well as the ridiculously one sided portrayal of the Prost controversies.

Rush banishes the bitter memory of flops like "Grand Prix" and "Le Mans" and other more recent farces. My opinion only....
    Last edited by Murray Maunder; 10-07-2013 at 09:48 PM.

Well said Murray. With your production background you`d have a better understanding than most of us how hard it is to try and please everyone. All we need now is John Key and Co to give you a decent budget for `Trio at the Top', and you`ll be on the red carpet in no time!!

Quote Originally Posted by Murray Maunder View Post
    I am as stunned with the lukewarm comments as I was with the film. As "movies" about motor racing go I don't expect to see a better one. It crosses the divide of fans and non-fans which can't be a bad thing - without destroying the true story of Hunt and Lauda. Sure, in the space of movie length format some facts had to be glossed over or ignored and some inaccuracies of a very minor kind were present.

To compare with "Senna" is unfair as one is a "movie" while the other is a doco. The doco, in my opinion, in this instance contains greater distortion than the movie, with the childish idol worship and glossing over of certain indisputable facts throughout "Senna", as well as the ridiculously one sided portrayal of the Prost controversies.

Rush banishes the bitter memory of flops like "Grand Prix" and "Le Mans" and other more recent farces. My opinion only....
    And Days of Thunder, Talladega Nights , the list goes on........

Maybe the stalled Bruce McLaren movie could follow the lead of "Rush" in letting a great true story be itself. I was taught early in life that fact is often stranger than fiction. The amazing rivalry and dramas of GP in 1976 could hardly conceived by a fiction writer.

From Bruce McLaren's early days as a lad growing up in a motor racing family, contracting a debilitating (Perthes) disease, ignoring the setback of a dodgy leg, growing under the tutelage of Jack Brabham, the immediate impact he had on the GP scene with his debut (in a F2 Cooper) at Nurburgring. The victories in F1 Coopers. The formation of BMMR, winning Le Mans in 1966, that great partnership with reigning World Champion Denny Hulme in 1968. CanAm domination and Indianapolis dreams. That his death in 1970 just delayed the legacy of a Grand Prix outfit that would become second only to Ferrari for it's impact on the pinnacle of motor racing. Yes, a HUGE movie of heroism and achievement and character could be developed without being spoiled by Hollywood's excesses - as Ron Howard achieved with Rush.

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    And Days of Thunder, Talladega Nights , the list goes on........
    If only Ricky Bobbie had made it to F1.......

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
    I have no idea who Howard thought he saw it with...

Unlike Howard, I am a movie fan. It isn't just the best motor racing drama ever, he says - carefully sidestepping confusing drama with the Senna movie - I think it is a damn good flick.

I promised myself I wasn't going to be all pedantic and look for faults and holes - and there are a few - because that isn't the point. Some faults are irrelevant - a wrong here, other stuff is just pure fiction - but its Hollywood, and it's bloody good in my opinion.

Love interest summed it up as the credits rolled 'Good on you Opie'. When it comes on Sky, I'll no doubt watch it again - after all, I watched 'Blues Brothers' for the 467th time on Friday. 'Orange whip?'
    You sad old man!

Quote Originally Posted by Murray Maunder View Post
    Maybe the stalled Bruce McLaren movie could follow the lead of "Rush" in letting a great true story be itself. I was taught early in life that fact is often stranger than fiction. The amazing rivalry and dramas of GP in 1976 could hardly conceived by a fiction writer.

From Bruce McLaren's early days as a lad growing up in a motor racing family, contracting a debilitating (Perthes) disease, ignoring the setback of a dodgy leg, growing under the tutelage of Jack Brabham, the immediate impact he had on the GP scene with his debut (in a F2 Cooper) at Nurburgring. The victories in F1 Coopers. The formation of BMMR, winning Le Mans in 1966, that great partnership with reigning World Champion Denny Hulme in 1968. CanAm domination and Indianapolis dreams. That his death in 1970 just delayed the legacy of a Grand Prix outfit that would become second only to Ferrari for it's impact on the pinnacle of motor racing. Yes, a HUGE movie of heroism and achievement and character could be developed without being spoiled by Hollywood's excesses - as Ron Howard achieved with Rush.
    Any truth in the rumour that Tom Cruise is going to star in the lead role as Bruce?

Heaven forbid!!!

Where do I start? I agree with Howard Wood, in that Ron Howard did try to dramatise the racing footage which didn't work for anyone, the old "floor the throttle and change up a gear its time to pass that car in front" sort of stuff. Although the cars used in the footage were representative of the period, the racing footage was probably the part I liked least (but then I am an anorak!)

That said, I did enjoy the movie, it was close enough to the truth as I understand it, and it was entertaining, which I guess is what movie making (and motorsport) is all about! A must see for any motorsport fan I think.

The Bruce Mclaren movie, if it ever happens, I will be much more critical about. This is a story that deserves to be told 100% correctly, it is amazing enough in its own right without being subject to the excesses of Hollywood movie making.

Conrad
    Last edited by conrod; 10-09-2013 at 10:54 AM.

After a discussion with Niki Lauda he said it was never intended to be a doco, but more of a doco/Hollywood license and the theme that comes through for me is just that. Forget the license part of it and look into the actual plot of it and it is very close (IMO) to what actually happened. Out of 10, probably 8.5 but still worth the admission fee. Cheers Dave Graham

Tragic, it is times like this that really hit at the bottom of the stomach. Unfortunately it happen occasionally, but thank god not like in days of past. RIP