DJR Goes Retro For Bathurst 2013

What do you guys think?

Name:  1234527_515909381828601_1174145122_n.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  56.6 KB

Name:  995215_724268327598828_1330957579_n.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  87.6 KB

Love it! LOts of media attention for the sponsors and lots of merch sales too...great idea!

I agree Pauly, looks great, and no matter where it is in the field, will get noticed all day long. The green is way more noticeable than the mainly white colours the team have run all year.

Love it! How can you go wrong with that?

Conrad

When Dick fired the Falcon into the trees coming out of Forest Elbow during the Hardies Heroes, a mate and I were up the top of the mountain at Reid Park. As the day wore on and people thought Dicks Bathurst was over, his long time sponsor Ross Palmer negotiated to buy the Harris Bros XE Falcon and swap as much of the #17 mechanicals into it that they could salvage overnight. To make the deal viable for the Harris Bros, Ross Palmer also bought a back up Commodore from one of the Holden teams to allow them to compete in the race the next day. Anyway, being a 2nd or 3rd year signwriting apprentice at the time, I said to my mate Brett `lets go and see if they need a hand!' His reply: `You`re f#@#@n joking!'
    We get down to the pits and I went up to Dick Johnsons wife Jill, explained I wanted to help with signwriting the car, which at that stage was already being painted green by the TAFE student group prior to swapping everything over. She in turn introduced me to Geoff Goebell who had signwritten Dicks cars for years. This was long before computer grahics, all hand lettering. He had already organised a couple of Sydney based signwriters to help him overnight, but thanked me for the offer. As I turned to walk away, beside me stood Dick Johnson, Geoff explained to Dick that I had offered to help with the car whereby he shook my hand , said thanks and I went back to the campground. In those early days Dick was a folk hero, fast becoming superstar, and that has evolved to his legacy as it stands today.
    Last edited by fullnoise68; 10-09-2013 at 07:47 AM.

Nice touch,how could we ever forget the Channel 7,coverage of the loyal fans that stayed through the night to watch the new car take shape.

Steve, I knew deep down you had a bit of FORD stuff in you. Have just read his biography. Jeez wayne that man has been through some tuff times but has still come out the other side. Is a credit that he had the intestinal fortitude to carry on with all the ups and downs. If anyone has the chance read the book, it's an eye opener. And the car looks absolutely brilliant, would be great to see DJR pull it of this year.
    Last edited by Frosty5; 10-09-2013 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Hit wrong button

Quote Originally Posted by Snoozin View Post
    Aw nooooo....

Deja vu

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty5 View Post
    Steve, I knew deep down you had a bit of FORD stuff in you. Have just read his biography. Jeez wayne that man has been through some tuff times but has still come out the other side. Is a credit that he had the intestinal fortitude to carry on with all the ups and downs. If anyone has the chance read the book, it's an eye opener. And the car looks absolutely brilliant, would be great to see DJR pull it of this year.
    I love the cars too in that scheme - makes a pleasant change.

When we were in Brisbane in July, I saw a newspaper headline that Dick Johnson was bankrupt and had lost virtually everything. He is a real folk hero whichever side of the brand barrier you live on (and will never change).

History repeats. Gutted for Mostert.

Saw the replay of the crash last night, he slapped the wall quite hard, then fired acroos the track (Reid Park) and gave it a nose job to finish it off. They are confident of having it repaired for the race on Sunday.

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by conrod View Post
    Love it! How can you go wrong with that?

Conrad
    Yes, well, I believe its called tempting fate Conrad

Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    Yes, well, I believe its called tempting fate Conrad
    spoke too soon didn't I?

Semi-Pro Racer
    All good, it buffed out !!! lol