Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Required: Allan Moffat DeKon Monza

Help Required: Allan Moffat DeKon Monza

Folks, I've had a request pertaining to the restoration of the DeKon Monza chassis 1005. This was the fifth car produced by the Lee Dykstra/Horst Kwech combination for American road racing.

DeKon 1005 was purchased by Allan Moffat in late 1975, to compete in Australian Sports Sedan competition. I believe Moffat may have raced it once in the US before it was shipped to New Zealand on its way to its new home in Australia. In New Zealand it raced at the Bay Park Xmas event in December 1975, then again at the Lady Wigram event in January 1976.

It was then shipped to Australia, where Moffat was required to have it fitted with 10" wide wheels as per Australian Sports Sedan regulations. It competed throughout the inaugural 1976 Australian Sports Sedan Championship, with Moffat switching between it and his Capri RS3100 to win the Championship. Moffat also raced it in selected rounds of the 1976 Marlboro $100,000 Series.

With Ford coming back to support Moffat in his touring car efforts for 1977, the Monza, being a Chevy, was parked, until 1979, after Ford had withdrawn from racing once again. Moffat raced the Monza in Sports Sedan competition throughout 1979 and 1980, before it was sold to Paul Jones. The car is now back in the US, undergoing restoration.

Can anyone help with photos of the car, both interior, engine bay, underneath, and exterior that can help with the restoration? Both NZ, Aussie, and even US photos would be greatly appreciated. No matter what the quality of the image, it could be useful, so please post here, or email me so I can post: theroaringseason@gmail.com

Name:  Slide003.jpg
Views: 3302
Size:  128.4 KB

Name:  photo004.jpg
Views: 2589
Size:  131.3 KB

Name:  photo002.jpg
Views: 2742
Size:  124.2 KB

Semi-Pro Racer

I think I sent this to him a cuppla years ago
    A Perry Drury pic

I'd get 'em to contact Ray Bell ex RCN's

This is one from Steve Elliott's collection, sorry the photog's name is not listed.

Hey you guys, thanks for the pics, really good stuff. I have some more I will post. I'm hoping someone comes forward with the closer detail stuff.

Hi Steve.
    About 25 years ago I bought a Lucas type mechanical fuel injection setup off a guy on Sydney's northern beaches and he told me that it came off the John Tesoriero Volvo Chev sports sedan but before that it was on Moffat's DeKon Monza which John also owned at one point. I don't know if this is 100% true or not though but I still have the injection. John also lived on the northern beaches so any thing is possible.The front distributor drive kit I bought separately so that I didn’t have to cut a hole in the firewall for the CDI which runs off the back of the fuel distributor drive unit.Name:  DSCN2303 - Copy.JPG
Views: 2038
Size:  129.2 KB

Mark-This makes beautiful viewing. Neat the way the distributor set up is at the front away from the firewall. Do the trumpets come close to the bonnet?

Hi John, yes they do so I had to cut the bonnet but fitted in the body lines nicely with another small slot at the rear to clear the enrichment linkage at the top of the fuel distributor. This was all done a couple of years ago but haven't finished it off as the car is off the road and working in the motor trade full time some times motivation is lacking when I should work on it.Name:  DSCN2296 - Copy.JPG
Views: 1942
Size:  93.6 KBName:  DSCN2298 - Copy.JPG
Views: 2020
Size:  96.8 KB I thought the two slots with the bonnet ridge left uncut looked better than just an ugly big hole.
    Last edited by Mark Fiddyment; 10-21-2013 at 09:55 AM.

Wow, Mark, that is very cool! What sort of car is that?

Definitely a HK, HT, HG model Holden . Lack of bonnet scoops means not a HT, HG GTS

Yes it's a Monaro.
    My genuine 327 HK Type 2, 1969 that I have owned since the mid 80's. White was not available on a 327 till 69. Over the last 2 years or so I have slowly been collecting parts to restore it, then the injection may go onto a base model HK Monaro I also have that I want to make look a GTS that I could drive regularly.
    If the injection was actually found to have come off Moffat's Monza I would consider selling it but only for that car. The valley cover part unbolts from the throttle bodies and it has some issues that needed addressing but being high in magnesium content welding it is not easy so I simply cut the valley section off a tunnel ram and machined it to accept the throttle bodies. I still have the original valley cover section and all other parts that came with the injection when I bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Definitely a HK, HT, HG model Holden . Lack of bonnet scoops means not a HT, HG GTS
    Thanks John.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fiddyment View Post
    Yes it's a Monaro.
    My genuine 327 HK Type 2, 1969 that I have owned since the mid 80's. White was not available on a 327 till 69. Over the last 2 years or so I have slowly been collecting parts to restore it, then the injection may go onto a base model HK Monaro I also have that I want to make look a GTS that I could drive regularly.
    If the injection was actually found to have come off Moffat's Monza I would consider selling it but only for that car. The valley cover part unbolts from the throttle bodies and it has some issues that needed addressing but being high in magnesium content welding it is not easy so I simply cut the valley section off a tunnel ram and machined it to accept the throttle bodies. I still have the original valley cover section and all other parts that came with the injection when I bought it.
    Thanks Mark, fantastic! That sounds like a fun project. Is there any way you can prove if the injection system is off the Moffat Monza. Would be really interesting to find out.

Semi-Pro Racer
    From Facebook .....

Thanks Ellis. Interesting how the rear wheel openings were squared off later in its life.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Thanks Mark, fantastic! That sounds like a fun project. Is there any way you can prove if the injection system is off the Moffat Monza. Would be really interesting to find out.
    I will have to see if any of my contacts in the motorsport circles have any contact info on John to ask him.

There would not have been a lot of these around .
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 10-25-2013 at 08:44 PM.

Moffatt Monza Baypark 1975

Name:  Leonard-MoffattBaypark1975.jpg
Views: 1838
Size:  145.5 KB

Name:  Moffatt-Baypark-75.jpg
Views: 2204
Size:  137.9 KB

Name:  Moffatt-Baypark-1975.jpg
Views: 2445
Size:  139.0 KB

Wow Ross, these are stunning!!! Thanks so much for posting them. Just superb.

Thanks to Mark for posting this on our Facebook timeline:

Name:  1383435_255311147950590_107298691_n.jpg
Views: 1636
Size:  69.1 KB