Thread: Photos: The Allan Cameron Collection - Part 2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    This is the McMillan Ford Falcon 500 driven to third place in the 1970 B&H 500 by Robbie Francevic/Steve Borich. I'm scratching my head just a little, as there is a McMillan Falcon leading all the Monaros in the opening images in this thread from the support race. The two cars look the same, but I can't believe a 6 cylinder Falcon 500 could outrun those Monaros, plus what appears to be a GT-HO. So I'm guessing McMillan were running a GT-HO painted up in identical colours for the support race? Can anyone shed light on this? I know McMillan ran a Phase III, but that wasn't until 1972.

Name:  IMG_0008.jpg
Views: 2473
Size:  110.1 KB

Weekend Warrior
    I was a flag marshall in those days. Do remember drivers running B&H 500 cars in the support race, and also two Falcons in similar livery, one a GT in the support event and the other a weezy six pot complete with steel wheels in the main event. This was a way to spread prestige from two events across both. The B&H was a big deal and a win meant a lot, but the Ford machines just didn't look like race cars unlike the GT. So...make the one in the big deal event look like the racer in the little event.
    Almost always gloomy and wet in my memory.

Here are the entry lists for the two races at the 1970 B&H meeting.

Name:  1970 B & H 1.JPG
Views: 1922
Size:  79.7 KB

Name:  1970 B & H 2.JPG
Views: 1911
Size:  121.8 KB

Name:  1970 Golden 100.JPG
Views: 1745
Size:  92.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    Here are the entry lists for the two races at the 1970 B&H meeting.

Name:  1970 B & H 1.JPG
Views: 1922
Size:  79.7 KB

Name:  1970 B & H 2.JPG
Views: 1911
Size:  121.8 KB

Name:  1970 Golden 100.JPG
Views: 1745
Size:  92.4 KB
    Fantastic! Thanks for this Milan.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    This is the McMillan Ford Falcon 500 driven to third place in the 1970 B&H 500 by Robbie Francevic/Steve Borich. I'm scratching my head just a little, as there is a McMillan Falcon leading all the Monaros in the opening images in this thread from the support race. The two cars look the same, but I can't believe a 6 cylinder Falcon 500 could outrun those Monaros, plus what appears to be a GT-HO. So I'm guessing McMillan were running a GT-HO painted up in identical colours for the support race? Can anyone shed light on this? I know McMillan ran a Phase III, but that wasn't until 1972.

Name:  IMG_0008.jpg
Views: 2473
Size:  110.1 KB
    Absolutely a standard car. No bonnet scoop, rear spoiler, driver sitting on bench seat, plain wheels