Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: The Cheetah

Journeyman Racer

Small block chevy with weber 58's in chasiss #2 owned by Ron Way

Steve: I never had a big block in my Cheetah, Albert Way has restored my old car with a new aluminum body and has a small block with Weber 58 mm side drafts on it. He has since passed away and his brother Ron Way now has the car.

photo:Ron Way collection
    Last edited by Jerry Entin; 01-10-2015 at 04:29 PM. Reason: put up photo

Journeyman Racer

Denny Doherty of the Mamas and Papas with his Cheetah in the day
    Denny traded me a Triumph 500 Daytona motorcycle and cash for the car. I had to pick the motorcycle up at a towing yard as Denny had left it one night outside a bar and it was towed. This was 2 months before I made the deal with him. I had quite an impound bill on the bike.

photo: Havey Lasiter collection
    Last edited by Jerry Entin; 02-02-2015 at 10:23 PM.

Great picture Jerry. Is that in the Hollywood hills?
    You sure got Bob upset about your claim that your car was chassis # 2. Love these guys that come along 30 years later and try to tell us what happened back in the day. We were there. We raced the cars. We worked on the cars. Guess that is not supposed to count for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Entin View Post

Denny Doherty of the Mamas and Papas with his Cheetah in the day
    Denny traded me a Triumph 500 Daytona motorcycle and cash for the car. I had to pick the motorcycle up at a towing yard as Denny had left it one night outside a bar and it was towed. This was 2 months before I made the deal with him. I had quite an impound bill on the bike.

photo: Havey Lasiter collection
    I love this photo! Thanks for sharing Jerry.

Journeyman Racer

Here is the ad for my Cheetah at the time I bought it.
    John Grow who owned Friendly Chevrolet in Rialto, California was very nice to deal with, a real straight shooter as they say.When I bought the car I was told it was the second car made and the factory racer. I don't think that John Grow would lie to me and sell me the 3rd or 4th car if they existed at that time.

I am glad you are enjoying the picture that Harvey Lasiter had in his collection. It had never been seen before I put it on The Roaring Season and Fred Yeakel's Cheetah site.

Competition Press Ad above
    Last edited by Jerry Entin; 02-08-2015 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Wilkinson View Post
    Wow! After 25 years ownership Fred is selling his "Teardrop 8" Cheetah for US$580,000 (NZ$790,000).

This car has appeared several times in this thread, and has an interesting - and well documented - history. It started as a race car in 1963; was converted to a street car in the 1970's; was then restored back to its 1963 racing specs; then recently updated to how it raced in 1965. Until very recently it was still completing in historic racing in California.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Entin View Post

Here is the ad for my Cheetah at the time I bought it.
    John Grow who owned Friendly Chevrolet in Rialto, California was very nice to deal with, a real straight shooter as they say.When I bought the car I was told it was the second car made and the factory racer. I don't think that John Grow would lie to me and sell me the 3rd or 4th car if they existed at that time.

I am glad you are enjoying the picture that Harvey Lasiter had in his collection. It had never been seen before I put it on The Roaring Season and Fred Yeakel's Cheetah site.

Competition Press Ad above
    This is superb Jerry! Thanks for posting. What was this car like to drive? Were the cockpit temperature issues sorted by then?

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Wow! After 25 years ownership Fred is selling his "Teardrop 8" Cheetah for US$580,000 (NZ$790,000).

This car has appeared several times in this thread, and has an interesting - and well documented - history. It started as a race car in 1963; was converted to a street car in the 1970's; was then restored back to its 1963 racing specs; then recently updated to how it raced in 1965. Until very recently it was still completing in historic racing in California.
    Yeah, wow! Great car, I always loved the beautiful flares this car featured. They weren't factory, but they sure looked good.

Name:  1964-Bill-Thomas-Cheetah-Front.jpg
Views: 1649
Size:  168.2 KB

Wow, another Cheetah has now come onto the market. It is approx. 15 years since the last genuine 1963 Bill Thomas Cheetah was sold, and suddenly there are two for sale.

It seems that another Cheetah owner is taking advantage of all the interest generated by Fred Yeakel's car that is for sale at US$580,000 (NZ$760,000), so they have decided to advertise their car for US$620,000 (NZ$815,000).

Anyone out there with a spare NZ$1,575,000? You could have a matching pair!!

Name:  Cheetah rear.jpg
Views: 1541
Size:  89.0 KB

This stunner was on Sports Car Digest this morning. Not often photographed view, I am sure fairly often seen by other cars

Semi-Pro Racer
    This car looks purposeful and aggressive from any angle but this shot really sums the car up-low, wide and minimalist.

Weekend Warrior
    Cutest bum around :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Name:  Cheetah rear.jpg
Views: 1541
Size:  89.0 KB

This stunner was on Sports Car Digest this morning. Not often photographed view, I am sure fairly often seen by other cars
    Great view, thanks Oldfart, and no funny tail-lights

CHEETAH FOR SALE - HERE IN NZ

If you can't quite stretch to the NZ$760,000 and NZ$815,000 being asked for the two Cheetahs currently for sale in the USA, my 1963 Cheetah project here in NZ is for sale.

After working on a Cheetah in the USA in the 70's, Duncan Fox (Auckland-based McLaren guru) originally brought all the components back to NZ to assemble his own Cheetah. I bought all the parts from Duncan three years ago, but unfortunately now have to sell the project. The details are...

ENGINE :
    1963 Corvette 327 cu. in. V8 engine (to be stroked to 377 cu. in.)

GEARBOX :
    M21 Muncie 'Rockcrusher' gearbox

CHASSIS :
    Exact recreation of chrome-moly tube chassis

DIFFERENTIAL :
    1963 Corvette diff and half shafts

BRAKES / SUSPENSION :
    Corvette brakes and uprights with fabricated wishbones and trailing links

STEERING :
    Triumph Herald / Triumph Spitfire rack

WHEELS :
    15" American Racing 'Torq Thrust' (not the BMW wheels in the images)

BODY :
    Fibreglass front, body and gull-wing doors.

WINDOWS :
    Pexiglass front and rear screens

WEIGHT :
    Goal weight (as raced in 1963) approx. 750kg.

All parts are 'period correct', so this would make a very quick classic racecar. Remember, one of these cars was clocked at 215 mph at Daytona in 1963.

CAD drawings of the chassis and suspension will be supplied, plus a large number of books, magazines, photos and research material.

I would be happy to offer advice and information after the sale, and Andy Culpin can finish the project for the new owner if required.

Call John for more information...

► Phone : 09-414 5959
    ► Mobile : 021-378 989
    ► E-mail : john@spr-models.co.nz

Name:  Cheetah_1.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  165.5 KB

Name:  Cheetah_2.jpg
Views: 1294
Size:  163.6 KB

Name:  Cheetah_3.jpg
Views: 1290
Size:  168.4 KB
    Last edited by John B; 05-19-2015 at 09:59 AM.

And here are some more images of the Cheetah as it is currently...

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1266
Size:  163.3 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1285
Size:  168.6 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 1202
Size:  170.5 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 1303
Size:  171.8 KB
    Last edited by John B; 05-19-2015 at 09:50 AM.

And a few more...

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 1204
Size:  161.4 KB

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  149.2 KB

Note : The correct wheels are not fitted in these images. The correct (wider) American Racing 'Torq Thrust' wheels will be supplied.

Name:  9a.jpg
Views: 1274
Size:  178.1 KB

This final image shows just how low the Cheetah sits. The 1969 TVR Tuscan is not a big car, but looks lanky in comparison to the squat, 42" high Cheetah...

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 1219
Size:  179.4 KB
    Last edited by John B; 05-19-2015 at 09:57 AM.

Sad to see you won't be finishing it John. I was looking forward to that sight on track. Hope the next custodian can progress it.

Sad to see you won't be finishing it John. I was looking forward to that sight on track. Hope the next custodian can progress it.
    Oldfart. I agree, John B was looking forward to getting it all together, whoever gets it will have a very unique and serious racer. Good Luck to the buyer.

JB the TVR is great too !!.

Not as sad as I am Oldfart. I was looking forward to racing it, but circumstances out of my control mean that I have to sell it. I really, really hope that the buyer continues along the 'period correct' theme, and doesn't change, update, or modify it. The Cheetah deserves to be raced in 1963 specifications.