Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: The Cheetah

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Oldfart. I agree, John B was looking forward to getting it all together, whoever gets it will have a very unique and serious racer. Good Luck to the buyer.

JB the TVR is great too !!.
    Hi Rog. Yes the TVR will be fun, but not quite as 'rare' or as 'powerful' as the 500hp / 750kg 1963 Cheetah.

The TVR will be built to 1969 TVR Tuscan specs, with a period correct 289 ci.in. Ford V8; 4 speed; TR6 suspension; and Jaguar diff. The Tuscan is heavier than the Cheetah at 1000kg, but interestingly both cars share a 90" wheelbase.

Cheers, John

Journeyman Racer
    Here is an interview I did while I was in California recently. It was shot by Jeni Swanson and it is her father Fred Yeakel and myself talking about the Cheetahs.

Nice one Jerry, that was awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISxJ...yer_detailpage

For the promo of the Cheetah Evolution. Does a good looking girl sell cars?

Journeyman Racer

Jerry Entin in his Cheetah at Santa Barbara in 1965

photo: Mike Schwartz
    Last edited by Jerry Entin; 07-24-2016 at 04:09 PM.

Journeyman Racer

Brian Garcia in the Ron and Jeanette Keck Cheetah at Elkhart Lake in 2016
    Brian was leading Group 3 at the Hawk Vintage races until a tire failed and he limped home in second.

photo: Chuck Brandt

Small Cheetahs .. 1;43 from Spark

The Wine Box set, now has a photo of a Cheetah as a background

Name:  Model cabinet - wine box #7 The Cheetahs IMG_0315 (800x355).jpg
Views: 1640
Size:  86.8 KB

The teardrop " 8 " was a very well known Cheetah in the USA at the time

Name:  Models Cheetah's dark base IMG_0349 (800x356).jpg
Views: 1656
Size:  90.6 KB

The " Teardrop ' 8 ' " Cheetah of Allan Green in 1964..

The background pic, the teardrop " 8 " - a Dave Friedman photo, Dave is a prolific motoring photographer who has produced many books, and collaborated on others.. " Modern GT Racing, " " Vintage American Road Race Cars 1950-1970" , " Corvette Grand Sport " " Pro Sports Car RACING in America 1958 - 1974 " and others - the last book features the grid at the June 1965 Players 200 practice with Gary Gove's Cheetah Chevrolet on the third row.

Name:  Cheetah #8 Allen Green 1964 Dave Freedman (3) v3 Sepia ,.jpg
Views: 1641
Size:  63.5 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 07-25-2016 at 02:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Entin View Post

Jerry Entin in his Cheetah at Santa Barbara in 1965

photo: Mike Schwartz
    Thanks Jerry, superb photo of you in your old Cheetah.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    The Wine Box set, now has a photo of a Cheetah as a background

Views: 1640

The teardrop " 8 " was a very well known Cheetah in the USA at the time

Name:  Models Cheetah's dark base IMG_0349 (800x356).jpg
Views: 1656
Size:  90.6 KB
    This is cool!

A promising sign that a Cheetah will be at the Goodwood Members Meeting this month:

Last edited by Alan Hyndman; 03-10-2017 at 12:53 AM.

Wow, thats a really cool video Alan. Great find! Its interesting the owner says the car was stopped from racing because of a change in the homologation rules when it was new. I believe this is incorrect. The intention was always that the Cheetah would compete in the FIA GT division against Cobras and Corvettes etc. But there weren't enough cars built for it to qualify. So it was forced to run in Group 7 against the emerging breed of Can-Am cars. Jerry Entin will know for sure.

I assume in historic racing the Cheetah will be allowed to race in the GT division? I hope so, it'll be extremely competitive, and one of the few cars able to give the Cobra Daytona Coupes a run for their money.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Entin View Post
    Here is an interview I did while I was in California recently. It was shot by Jeni Swanson and it is her father Fred Yeakel and myself talking about the Cheetahs.

The owner of the ex Jerry Entin car Ron Way had lunch with me yesterday, I have known the Way boys since the early 80's he reports that he has almost completed the work that his late brother Albert started when he fitted a new alloy body. I had always thought of Als 2nd Cheetah as a late car but it seems I was mistaken , its an early car with a later lower front wishbone. Jerry positively identified some of the rear suspension parts on the car as his number 2 car.

Thanks for the video Duncan. Jerry and Fred are two real authorities on this subject.

Going back to the Goodwood MM video, I'm actually surprised a few more Cheetah's haven't appeared in European historic GT racing, particularly the continuation cars and replicas. The FIA rules do allow replicas, as long as they're completely accurate, and in recent years a number of Cobra Daytona Coupes have started appearing, which of course have usually been the fastest whenever they race. The Cheetah would have to be one of the few cars that could take the fight to the Daytona coupes.

The upcoming (April 2017) issue of Classic and Sports Car magazine is featuring a test of a Cheetah. The following is from https://magsdirect.co.uk/magazine/cl...ar-april-2017/

3. The beast of Anaheim
    The Cheetah was one of the best looking and ferociously quick GTs of its generation, but its drivers had to battle with heat exhaustion and wild handling. Mick Walsh tells the compelling story of its early beginnings and race career before being shoe-horned into the famous Clarence Dixon Cadillac-liveried car for a heart-stopping drive at Goodwood.

Maybe the article will stir interest to the point that we are inundated with them in a year or two.

Thanks Alan I'll look forward to reading that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hyndman View Post
    The upcoming (April 2017) issue of Classic and Sports Car magazine is featuring a test of a Cheetah. The following is from https://magsdirect.co.uk/magazine/cl...ar-april-2017/

3. The beast of Anaheim
    The Cheetah was one of the best looking and ferociously quick GTs of its generation, but its drivers had to battle with heat exhaustion and wild handling. Mick Walsh tells the compelling story of its early beginnings and race career before being shoe-horned into the famous Clarence Dixon Cadillac-liveried car for a heart-stopping drive at Goodwood.

Maybe the article will stir interest to the point that we are inundated with them in a year or two.
    Just received a copy of the magazine, great article which gives a short but succinct history of the Bill Thomas Cheetahs, with input from TRS contributor Jerry Entin. Jerry also features in a photo on page 6 (separate to the main article on page 144) and shows " Jerry Entin blasts off the grid in his Cheetah at the start of the 1965 Los Angeles Times Grand Prix at Riverside in California."
    Many thanks to Jerry for sharing his experiences with these wild rockets, more to come I hope!

Cheetah, the Clarence Dickson Cadillac's Car.# 33.

Guys, There is an article in the April 2017 issue of " Classic and Sports Car ",on the car,fully restored and run at
    " Goodwood Festival " , some great photo's.
    The Silver car in my model collection !!
    Note also the Cro-Sal car the Roadster, and one of Jerry Titus' car the red one. Spark made 4 versions and I missed out on a green one, three is enough as won't fit in a wine box.

Views: 880
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 06-21-2017 at 12:07 AM. Reason: more info #### 47

Thanks Roger, I bought a copy of that issue a few weeks back. Great article.

Jerry Entin never owned number #002 Period. The Albert/Ron Way Cheetah is not the Cheetah Jerry Entin owned Period. It is (NOT) the number #001 car or the number #002 car. I have pictures of the Albert way Cheetah before he bought it and 100's of pictures of him restoring it. Nor is it the Jerry Titus #36 Cheetah.
    The Genuine Bill Thomas Cheetah Serial number #002 I just bought out of Oklahoma, It has its Genuine Bill Thomas issued Serial ID Tag. The owner keep it in 2 barns for 48 years since he bought it in 1969.The owner history is Crystal Clear, I am Certifying it this month Jan 2018 It still has its white paint from the 1964 Oct Riverside race.
    I have known about this car for 24 years now. Now that it setting in my shop and I am starting restoration Jan 5th 2018 the Cheetah World will learn the history on this Genuine #002 Built Bill Thomas Cheetah Alloy body Prototype,
    #001 and #002 were both evaluated by Chevrolet.
    Bill Thomas gave John Crow owner of friendly Chevrolet the Jerry Titus Race Number #36 Cheetah for his investment in the Cheetah program when they broke relations off.
    Friendly Chevrolet owner John Crow started out with investing in #001 Alloy prototype, When it was wrecked his investment was transferred into #002, Then after #002 was wrecked his investment was transferred to the Race number 36 Titus Cheetah. Bill and John went separate ways and John took control of the Titus Cheetah. This car was sold to Jerry Entin. Jerry Entin's Cheetah is not owned by Ron Way today. although the Ron Way Cheetah is Genuine Chassis rebodied by Jim Gammage and Jim gave Albert Way the large rear tank with the Cheetah Jim sold him, Jim bought the large rear tank from the Bankruptcy auction at Bill's Shop in 1970.