Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cheetah

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    The magazine Hot Rod Deluxe has released a special collectors edition 'Best of the Best' issue recently, containing old Petersen Publishing photos taken for various magazines from the company between 1955 - 1965, including Hot Rod, Motor Trend, Car Craft, Sports Car Graphic etc. There is a nice spread from 1963 Sports Car Graphic which shows four very neat photos of the Cheetah in the test, including two interior shots and an engine bay shot.
    Looks like I better check that out Steve. Is the magazine available here in NZ?
    Cheers, John

Cheetah prototype

Name:  img002.jpg
Views: 2020
Size:  163.1 KBName:  img003.jpg
Views: 1991
Size:  123.2 KBName:  img004.jpg
Views: 1974
Size:  150.3 KBName:  img005.jpg
Views: 1947
Size:  155.0 KBName:  img006.jpg
Views: 1997
Size:  153.7 KB

Nice Cheetah Photo

I found this great shot some time ago, but I don't have a clue who took it

Name:  cheeta.jpg
Views: 1876
Size:  131.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mid-year View Post
    Name:  img002.jpg
Views: 2020
Size:  163.1 KBName:  img003.jpg
Views: 1991
Size:  123.2 KBName:  img004.jpg
Views: 1974
Size:  150.3 KBName:  img005.jpg
Views: 1947
Size:  155.0 KBName:  img006.jpg
Views: 1997
Size:  153.7 KB
    Wow, superb article there Pete, thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Looks like I better check that out Steve. Is the magazine available here in NZ?
    Cheers, John
    yep, you sure can John, though it can be a bit hard to track down sometimes, but here is a link to the front cover image: http://www.socalsac.com/automotive/h...e-march-2013-0

Quote Originally Posted by BMCBOY View Post
    I found this great shot some time ago, but I don't have a clue who took it

Name:  cheeta.jpg
Views: 1876
Size:  131.2 KB
    The image above is a current-day shot of Fred Yeakel's "Teardrop 8". This is the only Cheetah still racing, and it has a very interesting history. It is chassis number 6, and has been through many reincarnations since 1963. It raced with a number of different body modification before being turned into a hot rod. Fred bought the car and rebuilt it as a race car, and now competes in historic racing in California.

As it was originally raced in 1963...
    Name:  then.jpg
Views: 1914
Size:  132.5 KB

Then after some changes to the body in 1964...
    Name:  then1.jpg
Views: 1978
Size:  154.5 KB

Then as a road-going hot rod...
    Name:  16.jpg
Views: 1921
Size:  152.3 KB

And finally as it is now...
    Name:  Fred Yeakel.jpg
Views: 2013
Size:  138.6 KB
    Last edited by John B; 02-19-2013 at 02:34 PM.

yep, you sure can John, though it can be a bit hard to track down sometimes, but here is a link to the front cover image: http://www.socalsac.com/automotive/h...e-march-2013-0
    Thanks Steve. I'll track it down.

Thanks again Steve. Found the magazine today in my local book shop. The Cheetah article was only a two-page spread, and it contains images that I have in other magazines, so can't justify spending $20.95!

More Cheetah stuff

Name:  img001.jpg
Views: 1808
Size:  137.9 KBName:  img003.jpg
Views: 1845
Size:  136.4 KBName:  img002.jpg
Views: 1902
Size:  139.7 KB

Here is a full view of the schematic above...

Name:  Cheetah_schematic_2.jpg
Views: 1995
Size:  139.3 KB

And another schematic of the chassis...

Name:  Cheetah_schematic_1.jpg
Views: 2073
Size:  156.0 KB

Amazing that such a fragile, simplistic looking car was capable of 215 mph / 346 kph (as recorded at Daytona in 1964). It must have been a scary ride!

Wow, amazing! That cut-away is really stunning!

Not really a "Cheetah" , but cool nonetheless.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-FIBERGL...b893f1&vxp=mtr

Oh and the latest Hot Rod Deluxe magazine that came out on the weekend (here in the US)has a great write up on the Cheetah.

Wow, that is completely amazing! I'd seen pics of that drag car pictured in the Ebay auction, but always just assumed it was a genuine Cheetah converted for drag racing. I know there was at least one Cheetah that was used as a drag car.

Amazing to come across all of this...

I saw Spinout the other day, recognising the McLaren and the Cheetah in it, but not knowing they were Jerry's cars!

Jerry kidnapped us when we were in the US last year, we had a great time with he and Carmen at and around their home in Spring Lake.

Somewhere I believe I have a photo or two of Mike Argetsinger driving the Cheetah at Elkhart Lake (a circuit I'm sure suited it well!), I'll have to look for them and post them.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Point of interest here, CMS [ California Metal Shaping...called California Metal Stamping in the article] must be the same outfit that made up the first set of panels for the first Cobra Daytona Coupe, before they were farmed out to the Italians.

At Leadfoote Jason Liefteen ??{oldfart come in} ran a white car rather like this,cant remember it running but prety shure it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    Amazing to come across all of this...

I saw Spinout the other day, recognising the McLaren and the Cheetah in it, but not knowing they were Jerry's cars!

Jerry kidnapped us when we were in the US last year, we had a great time with he and Carmen at and around their home in Spring Lake.

Somewhere I believe I have a photo or two of Mike Argetsinger driving the Cheetah at Elkhart Lake (a circuit I'm sure suited it well!), I'll have to look for them and post them.
    Yes, Jerry has certainly enjoyed quite an adventurous life. He did promise to post some of the photos he took while on set for those movie's.

Quote Originally Posted by jim short View Post
    At Leadfoote Jason Liefteen ??{oldfart come in} ran a white car rather like this,cant remember it running but prety shure it did.
    Racing Ray ran the car with a Synergy V8. Scratch built Hyper Cars DSN 390 (had Jason Lieftings name on the roof)

Quote Originally Posted by zombie289 View Post
    Not really a "Cheetah" , but cool nonetheless.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-FIBERGL...b893f1&vxp=mtr

Oh and the latest Hot Rod Deluxe magazine that came out on the weekend (here in the US)has a great write up on the Cheetah.
    Pauly I managed to pick up a copy of that today. 5 pages of really nice photos. Thanks for the heads-up.