Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cheetah

Journeyman Racer

Brian Garcia and Jerry Entin and Mark Salyer and the Cro Sal Special
    This was at Elkhart Lake for the July Vintage weekend and Brian Garcia was driving the Ron and Jennette Keck owned continuation Cheetah, Cro Sal Special. He was doing a fine job of it and I brought Mark Salyer down to see the car and meet the crew.

Photo: Ron Keck collection

Journeyman Racer

Cro Sal Cheetah and the Robert Boyce Cheetah coupe

photo: Ron Keck collection

Oh wow, great photos Jerry, thanks for posting. It may just be the angle, but has the Cro Sal sprouted a small front chin spoiler?

Journeyman Racer

Here is a better photo showing the front end

photo: Ron Keck collection

Thanks Jerry, must have been getting a bit of lift at speed?

Your pics of the Cro Sal Special really highlight what small cars these are Jerry. They sure packed a lot of punch!

Thanks to Grant Ellwood for sending me these pics, plus the following description:

"I was at Virginia International Raceway for Friday practice of the Vintage Drivers Club of America. While doing my pit-walk I came across the Cheetah in the pics below, stopped and had a chat with the owner-driver Jay Stephenson from the Atlanta, Georgia area.

"Jay bought the car from an estate sale 15 years ago and did a full restoration, completing it recently. Apparently the car was built up from parts salvaged from the fire at Bill Thomas's factory, most everything is original including the fuel injection".

Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 2253
Size:  165.0 KB

Name:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 2162
Size:  153.1 KB

Aren't they Weber's, bloody nice looking bit of machinery. Any more photos of the week end Grant.

That is just amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Aren't they Weber's, bloody nice looking bit of machinery. Any more photos of the week end Grant.
    Could be Webers Rod, I probably misunderstood some of Jay's comments plus my memory is pretty wonky these days. Guess he meant that he has the original injection unit, probably under his bed at home. The Webers would certainly be easier to set up especially while trying to get to know the Cheetah first few times out on track. What a monster (the car, not you Rod)!

Semi-Pro Racer
    Weber IDF's.

Thanks Grant, sneak in under that bed, I got a good home for that injection.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Ellwood View Post
    ... I probably misunderstood some of Jay's comments plus my memory is pretty wonky these days. Guess he meant that he has the original injection unit, probably under his bed at home ...
    Grant, do you know if the fuel injection unit is the standard Corvette Rochester system (as used on the Cheetah road cars), or the Bill Thomas modified dual air metering system (as used on the factory Cheetah race cars)?

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Grant, do you know if the fuel injection unit is the standard Corvette Rochester system (as used on the Cheetah road cars), or the Bill Thomas modified dual air metering system (as used on the factory Cheetah race cars)?
    John, I don't know which system it is but I can give you Jay's email address, contact me at -
    ellwoodusa@yahoo.com
    I'm sure he would be delighted to chat to another Cheetah owner.

Journeyman Racer

Ron and Jennette Keck with their continuation Cro-Sal Special Cheetah

This was at Elkhart Lake last weekend and 12 Cheetahs were at the event. This was the fastest Cheetah at the event. Brian Garcia did a fine job of driving it.
    Last edited by Jerry Entin; 01-11-2015 at 03:50 PM.

Journeyman Racer

Fred Yeakel and his Cheetah
    Fred Yeakel and his daughter Jeni drove for 36 hours to make this event. Jeni also got to drive the Cheetah on the track for a few laps.
    Last edited by Jerry Entin; 07-24-2014 at 01:20 AM. Reason: typo

Journeyman Racer

The Blue Cheetah and the Keck car raced at this event and the Yeakel car was driven around the track by Jeni Yeakel for a few pace laps.

Journeyman Racer

Some of the Cheetahs had crate motors in them.
    Last edited by Jerry Entin; 07-24-2014 at 12:03 PM. Reason: typo