Thread: The Roaring Season Content: Have Your Say

The Roaring Season Content: Have Your Say

Would like to get your feedback folks on what you'd like to see on the website, going forward. The Roaring Season continues to grow, and I enjoy writing articles and posting up old photo collections as time allows. But is this what you come here for?

Please let me know what it is that interests you, and what you'd like to see more of. Do you want to see more period photo collections? Do you want to see more articles? Do you want more photos from modern day historic racing events? Do you want to see more road car stuff? Single seaters? Sports cars? Touring cars? 1950s? 1960s? 1970s? 1980s? What is your preference?

Is there anything not currently on the site that you'd like to see?

Have your say folks, I welcome your suggestions.

Name:  3 (1).jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  149.4 KB

Steve, I like the 60s saloons from NZ.

Well Steve, I think that had you not established this website then what we have seen to date would have been lost and each of us probably would have only remembered our own individual experiences without the ability to share with others. Certainly for me, there are articles and photos which jog the memory and make me think "oh that's right that was at such and such a circuit". Cars of yesteryear certainly stir the memory banks and one wonders how we got away with things then compared to the "sterile" cars and racing of today". For instance those who couldn't make it to the NZFMR over the past years would not have seen the oldies in the flesh so to speak but through this site can get an appreciation of some of those lovely old cars, NZ's rich motoracing history. What we have to date is just marvelous and is the first thing I do in the morning is check to site. For me personally I think most things are covered but maybe some profiles of drivers past i.e. Robbie Francevic, Jim Richards, Paul fahey, Johnny Riley etc, etc. Overall the best site I have come across. Keep up the good work.

Regards Dave Graham

Semi-Pro Racer
    Steady as she goes

Steve,
    Re; " Please let me know what it is that interests you, and what you'd like to see more of. Do you want to see more period photo collections? Do you want to see more articles? Do you want more photos from modern day historic racing events? Do you want to see more road car stuff? Single seaters? Sports cars? Touring cars? 1950s? 1960s? 1970s? 1980s? What is your preference " Think what the forum does is brilliant, don't over think it, should be about the content and not people disagreeing with others, the more info that is in it the better, whether it is about a particular car, and event, big or small [ Hillclimb or circuit or Rally or other ] it is all important to NZ's motoring / motor racing history, just let it roll, after all in the 50's 60's 70's guys drove to the event raced and drove the same car home, your daily driver was often your racer as well. Rallies Trials Sprints and Hillclimbs are the grassroots of motor racing, guys with little money having a great time and the camaraderie that went with it, magic. just keep it going as it is [ if I knew what i was doing could contibute photo's from the late 60's on taken with a BOX Brownie type camera, in square format, b and w will work it out one day
    cheers guys, Roger

You encouraged me to show UK pics Steve, which I am happy to do, as my knowledge of pre 1983 NZ motorsport, is limited in the main to what was published in the UK motoring press.

My only suggestion is to create a separate section for the NZ photo collections so that they are all together and not intertwined with general discussion threads.

I personally don't read articles on line, as I am too far behind with reading the print magazines due to spending three months out of the country each year! The pile keeps growing.

The site is a great resource for information though, and there is something very rewarding about posting a pic that either rings a bell, stirs a memory or just informs, even if the pic isn't technically excellent. It is also useful for judging opinions on controversial topics related to the local community or just advertising what is going on.

Hi Steve,
    In response to your question, here are my thoughts. I believe that the Forum has become too popular for just the two main General Discussion and Racing Events Info sections (I won't mention the Sponsors News Forum because unfortunately this gets very little traffic).

The reason I say this is because of the large number of threads posted every week (far more than other Forums I follow). I know this is a good thing, but what it means is, really interesting threads often get bumped off the front page of the General Discussion section within a week, and can go unread.

I hate Forums that have too many separate sections/headings, but I'd love to see a couple of additional sections on TRS...

1) Build Projects : A separate section where members can post updates on their build projects. I love to read about the new builds and restorations going on in workshops around the country and overseas, but often these threads get lost among the dozens of new threads that are posted in the General Discussion section each week.

2) Services/Trades : Another separate heading where members can post information on their professional services. Many members know exactly where to go to find race-related equipment and trades, but some of us don't. This 'trade directory' would be really useful for members, like myself, who aren't 'plugged in' to the classic / historic motorsport network, and don't have a clue who is the best person to supply a stroker kit for a 327, or who can work on your period racing drum brakes, etc.

Some food for thought?
    Cheers, John

Journeyman Racer
    What he said

I'd like to see a projects page too, and the services / trades page sounds like a good idea.

Have you thought about using a platform like Joomag? (have a look at Motorpunk for a good example) It could help monetise the excellent articles that you write, either through advertising or subsciption, or at least make them easier to archive for your readers.

Weekend Warrior
    Australia/Melbourne/ex pat Kiwi/Halswell/Christchurch
    Hi I think the roaring season is fantastic as I am a serious follower sharing things with other people.To keep these threads continuing ( i want to know if can I email another member a particular paragraph quote that he has not seen before)------ (Also can we have a well illustrated package footage on how to put photos on to the roaring season)As I know many people have photos at home that they can't add to this site because they think its to complicated to do.I think we should have a thread dedicated to these problems to make it easier to do things thanks Osca fan
    Last edited by camaroman slp; 02-15-2014 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ElCoyote View Post
    What he said
    Can I endorse John B's comments re "Build Projects" and "Services / Trades" both make a lot of sense to help keep TRS content organised and easy to follow favourite threads. The fact we are asking for this is a tribute the excellent content that has been posted by so many on the site (thanks to you all for making TRS a daily must read)

And if you are reading this, an unpaid shout-out for site sponsor spr-models.co.nz - great range of diecasts

Semi-Pro Racer
    Id like to endorse the build thread idea, but with one proviso, that only the originator/ author of the build thread can post on it. One site that does this is the 'homebuilt airplanes' for the project logs, keeps the thread clean & on track without going off at a tangent and if others 'see' a potential problem arising with a build they can still pm the OP with advice etc.