Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nom de Plume! notifiable dieases and other hide behind the curtains crap!

Quote Originally Posted by stubuchanan View Post
    Is there a message in this?

Even with the right name, you end up with the wrong person! Might be better to stick with the "nom de guerre"

Stu Buchanan (yes, my real name, as if anybody cared)
    you got that right I reckon. in fact you can call me by my first name if you like, 9
    Last edited by 928; 11-11-2013 at 06:46 PM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 928 View Post
    you got that right I reckon. in fact you can call me by my first name if you like, 9
    Heck, & here I was thinking it might be something cryptic like the time you leave home to go to work each day..

It is cryptic- a prime example

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
    Heck, & here I was thinking it might be something cryptic like the time you leave home to go to work each day..
    work WORK work is the curse of the drinking class

Greetings Stu/ Stewart,

There are those who care and for good and obvious reasons. :-)

Cheers, Trevor.

I think this is one of the most meaningless threads ever on TRS!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    I think this is one of the most meaningless threads ever on TRS!
    Old farts are a load of hot air. LOL

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Sheffield View Post
    Greetings Stu/ Stewart,

There are those who care and for good and obvious reasons. :-)

Cheers, Trevor.
    Thanks, Trevor, for those kind and chivalrous words. I tend to agree with Oldfart's comment about this thread, but maybe it was all only intended as a wind-up!

Stu(art)

Semi-Pro Racer
    I'm sure it was...

At least this forum seems to have avoided what some others allow - ie, noms de plume of real people (Jim Clark, Keke Rosberg etc)

Many Italians used non de plums to go racing
    some to avoid family riot of them racing against parents wishes ( as jackie stewart did with A N Other at his first few races)
    some presume to deter kidnapping (rife in the 60s/70s) no one knew who they were
    we had an Austrian racer Fritz Glatz race for years as Pierre Chavuet and Fredrico Carecca
    both surnames meant "bald" as he was but he was another banned by mummy from going motor racing

I however am not worth much so no one will kidnap me possibly pay someone to take me away for a few more hours
    and my mummy has banned me from coming round to visit
    Yes I know Im behind you guys, i like warm beer and it rains a lot here too.

The non de plumed racing driver - there should be some great tales.

Baroness Hélène van Zuylen van Nijevelt van de Haar entered the 1898 Paris–Amsterdam–Paris Trail using the pseudonym Snail and became the first woman to compete in an international motor race.

Another reason was surely ease of use - for team management, announcers, programme typesetters etc. For example:

B Bira = Prince Birabongse Bhanudej Bhanuband
    JJ Lehto = Jyrki Järvilehto (Imagine Murray Walker getting his tongue around that name)
    Johnny Dumfries = John Colum Crichton-Stewart (7th Marquess of Bute)
    Alfonzo de Portago = Don Alfonso Cabeza de Vacade y Leighton

Did Umberto Ledfotti really race at Bathurst 12-hour? Surely taking the piss

Of course had Norman Barry racing as Frank Bryan in the Mustang around '67. Were there any others on the local scene? Some may have preferred to be anonymous in hindsight

Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by stubuchanan View Post
    Is there a message in this?

Even with the right name, you end up with the wrong person! Might be better to stick with the "nom de guerre"

Stu Buchanan (yes, my real name, as if anybody cared)
    And I always thought your name was Stub Uchanan!

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerT View Post
    And I always thought your name was Stub Uchanan!
    Just a nasty rumour put about by the forces of evil.

Stu

Scandinavian rally driver in the 70s - Bengt Axel.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoreboy57 View Post
    Johnny Dumfries = John Colum Crichton-Stewart (7th Marquess of Bute)
    Crichton-Stuart, please! In his racing days he was Earl of Dumfries. He didn't inherit the Marquis of Bute title until the 1990s
    Alfonzo de Portago = Don Alfonso Cabeza de Vacade y Leighton
    Or more correctly Don Alfonso Antonio Vicente Blas Ángel Francisco Borgia Cabeza de Vaca y Leighton Carvajal y Are, Conde de Mejorada, seventh Marquis de Portago

French driver, Jean-Marie Brousselet, raced a Jaguar D-Type at Le Mans several times under the racing nom de plume "Mary" ... I wonder if he was also a lumberjack and, "...cut down trees, skipped and jumped, and hung around in bars."
    Last edited by John B; 12-18-2013 at 01:46 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoreboy57 View Post
    The non de plumed racing driver - there should be some great tales.

Of course had Norman Barry racing as Frank Bryan in the Mustang around '67. Were there any others on the local scene? Some may have preferred to be anonymous in hindsight
    With due respect, Norman Frank Bryan Barry was not using a fictional name, just not all of his real name.

[QUOTE=David McKinney;36461]Crichton-Stuart, please!

Bloody spellchecker - thanks for correction David. Now taking a lie down after trying to memorise de Portago's full name.

There was a guy I used to compete against in the annual Silverstone Sprints Winter Series, called "Wally Pratt". Lovely guy (I think he might have passed away fairly recently) - but that was his real name.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Ray wasn't he the guy who appeared in the Duckhams Ads with his racing Fiat Abarth.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    There was a guy I used to compete against in the annual Silverstone Sprints Winter Series, called "Wally Pratt". Lovely guy (I think he might have passed away fairly recently) - but that was his real name.