Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bay Park Final Event - Easter 1993

This is our KM Bedford leading one of the last races,@ the pits hairpin in front of Jigger Jones & Rusty Hawker, all from Rotorua
    Name:  Detroit 6v53 KM Bedford.jpg
Views: 2932
Size:  83.2 KB
    Last edited by Impala 65 SS; 11-26-2013 at 01:54 PM.

Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    Definitely Easter 1995. The programme is headed The Final Motor Race Meeting Before Circuit Closure.

Practice Day - Sat April 15 - Race Day Sunday April 16 1995.

There were races for Holden HQ, NZ Truck Championship, Mazda RX7, Pre-65 Saloons, Muscle & Classic Cars, SS2000 Saloons, BMC Intermarque Classic Cars, Formula Vee, Sports Sedans, Minis and Superkarts.
    I raced at this meeting, a sad meeting although the writing had been on the wall for some time.
    I shared my Cooper S with a friend, he raced it in the BMC class and I ran it in the modified Mini class.
    We had a ball.
    My claim to fame is starting the last race at Bay Park from pole. (It was reverse grid) And by shamelessly jumping the start led through the first corner before being swamped by the rest of the field.
    Memories of Bay Park. The toilets, new standards of hygiene. The pampas fires, the wonderful summer meetings and spectating at the sweeper. Probably he track would not meet modern safety standards, but I would sooner race there the Puke.

Now I will have to have any report on last meeting proof read by a solicitor before printing,
    As mentioned by some one else it had its moments with toytoy fires, and people falling over chilly bins etc.
    There was a very well known spot on the bank opposite the exit of the pits, and over the years it became very well set up with own tent and even a van with sober driver (only one there) to transport crew to meetings. If you happened to be religious, or from sheltered family life you tended to move to another area. This crew never missed a meeting (practice included) from day 1 of first meeting to the end of the last day of racing and were actually guests of Peters for drinkys after last meeting.
    Used to stay with them on way to meetings and when we had finished they would graduate over to pits for get together, and if we had a car problem we would go over to bank and watch from there, great entertainment.
    Will put other bits on as we get around to them.
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 11-17-2013 at 10:23 AM.

Rod , I recall the putting up of tent [tents] on practice days [while not competing ] with very good friend , Alby Collier & ex Team mate in 4 cyl class & v/8,s I was lose & fancy free Woooooooooooow those days lol , I look back had sooooo much fun , I have a few piks of the partys on embankment ..... from there after the meetings some would head back to my place & have a spa party , Thank God they are all behind me what a learning curve , as the yrs went by we stay [Taupo] at the Sahara motel it had a big big spa we would arrive there on practice day [after practice lol ] & party up in the spa about 6 of us that continued for well over 15 yrs then go racing the next day lol lol, recall hoping into mustang to do first race only to open the wrong door [Left / Hand drive ] & looking down wearing my gum boots , I have grown up , & drum into my girls dont get into any car with an idiot ???????
    Last edited by Grant Sprague; 11-18-2013 at 08:43 AM.

Both Bay Park and Taupo were great tents

Having a bit of a clean out the other day & I found these old images [as you do] of Baypark taken in the early 90's. You can clearly see the encroachment of housing into the 'noise zone'. 20 years later I still miss calling in to the track to see what was going on

Name:  2013-1309 copy.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  147.0 KB

Name:  2013-1310 copy.jpg
Views: 1228
Size:  142.4 KB

John sorry , only just saw yr note........one day this year we will get to gether for a catch up .......

Would anyone have a copy of the program for this meeting ?. I have recently purchased a car that supposedly ran at this meeting and any information would be greatfully appreciated. Cheers, Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Spgeti View Post
    Would anyone have a copy of the program for this meeting ?. I have recently purchased a car that supposedly ran at this meeting and any information would be greatfully appreciated. Cheers, Bruce
    Bruce- I ran in 3 classes .....pre-65, Classics and Muscle cars-at this last meeting, can I help you ?, Regards, John.

I have sent you a PM John....Cheers

I may have a copy. The last round was the year we did the first race of the new car.
    I will check tonight.

Thanks Growler. I purchase a Riley Elf that was entered in Pre 65s but blew its engine in practise. Any info would help. Cheers, Bruce

Thanks Growler. I purchase a Riley Elf that was entered in Pre 65s but blew its engine in practise. Any info would help. Cheers, Bruce
    There are no Rileys entered in the pre-65 races but John Fitzpatrick had a 1330cc-engined example in the BMC Intermarque Classic Car races. It was numbered 17.

Angus Fogg entered his Elf in the Mini Challenge races as did Fitzpatrick.

Thanks Milan.....the search continues......hopefully I will come up with a name to which we can continue the search. Many thanks, Bruce

Found it! I have the Official programme along with the provisional lap-times for the SS2000 class.
    What information are you after? It looks like there may have been 3 Elf's in the Bay Automotive Mini Challenge - Shane Buxton, Angus Fogg and John Fitzpatrick.

Thanks Growler. To date I have made contact with the last 2 owners of the car. I am awaiting for details from the previous owner to who I purchased the car from who he purchased the car off. From there I am hopeful that will identify the car and from there I will be able to trace its history further back if any.
    I know it is not one of Angus's Elf's, but the other 2 you mention are of interest to me.
    If I could have a photocopy of the programme or scan and send it to me would be fantastic.
    I have a spec sheet and history of the car when sold by the original owner but no name attached to it. The car was also raced at the Telecom Classic Festival in Hamilton prior to this meeting and club racing.
    My Email is bruced105@gmail.com
    Many thanks to all of you guys for your assistance .
    Cheers, Bruce D

Bruce- you never know how long and interesting the piece of string is with this car. Its history could well go further back than just these 2 meetings.

You are so right John and as you know it takes time for info and photo's etc to come to light.

Thanks Growler. To date I have made contact with the last 2 owners of the car. I am awaiting for details from the previous owner to who I purchased the car from who he purchased the car off. From there I am hopeful that will identify the car and from there I will be able to trace its history further back if any.
    I know it is not one of Angus's Elf's, but the other 2 you mention are of interest to me.
    If I could have a photocopy of the programme or scan and send it to me would be fantastic.
    I have a spec sheet and history of the car when sold by the original owner but no name attached to it. The car was also raced at the Telecom Classic Festival in Hamilton prior to this meeting and club racing.
    My Email is bruced105@gmail.com
    Many thanks to all of you guys for your assistance .
    Cheers, Bruce D
    Scans sent. Unfortunately these are in PDF format so cannot post the images here.

Thanks Larry, Shane Buxton's Elf is a Mk1 and the car I have is a 67 Mk3. Looks like john Fitzpatrick is my only hope. Cheers and many thanks, Bruce