Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Steve Twist Collection - Part 7

Photos: The Steve Twist Collection - Part 7

Name:  00000003.jpg
Views: 1985
Size:  106.1 KB

OK, new collection here from Steve Twist. As most of you will have seen from the older collections posted on this site, Steve began snapping photos in the mid-1960s as an amateur enthusiast, while living in New Zealand. He continued on into the early '70s, before taking a break, returning in the early '80s before moving to the US where he still resides.

This latest batch are all production touring car related, and all from the Benson & Hedges endurance series, which replaced the single 500 mile race, that had traditionally been held at Pukekohe since the 1960s. The last 500 mile B&H race was held in 1980, and won by Rod Coppins/Jerry Clayton, in a Holden Commodore SL/E.

From 1981, the B&H endurance classic became a 3-race series, taking place at Pukekohe, Bay Park, and Manfeild, all North Island race tracks. The first season was a closely fought contest between the hottest (for want of a better term!) locally assembled production cars; the Ford Fairmont Ghia, and Holden Commodore SL/E. Remember, only New Zealand assembled cars could enter the large capacity class, and although neither the Fairmont Ghia nor the Commodore SL/E were ever intended to go motor racing, they were the best local option available. The Fairmont Ghia was powered by a 302ci V8, the Commodore SL/E a 308ci V8. Both featured automatic transmissions.

After the 1981 series was won by Leo Leonard in his Fairmont, General Motors New Zealand decided up the game, and took advantage of a loophole which required only 25 homologation models be locally produced to be eligible for the series. And so GM-NZ, through their competition department, headed by Robin Curtis, set about building a small production run of just 30 special SS Commodore's, specifically designed to win the B&H series. Peter Brock was brought in as a hands-on consultant, and his company supplied some of the parts. The Commodore's featured a 4-speed manual gearbox, limited slip diff, stiffer suspension, 15" Simmons wheels, and an increase in power, by about 70Kw.

Unsurprisingly, the new Commodore's cleaned up the next couple of years, eventually requiring a rule change to further open up the regulations, and bring the Fords back into contention.

Steve's photos cover both that 1981 season, and then the following two seasons, and are all based at Pukekohe. He has focused more on the outright contenders, and in particular, the Commodore's.

Its not a big collection, only 20 photos, but they still capture this interesting period in NZ production car racing, as the long-held concept of racing strictly stock-standard vehicles was coming to an end.

Journeyman Racer
    IS IT JUST ME? i CAN ONLY GET ONE PHOTO IN THIS.i wanted to ask if anyone knew who was racing the Statesman and how it did in the race?

Sorry Steve, my fault, I've been away working on a book the last couple of months, things have been a bit hectic. I'll continue with your collection in the next couple of days.

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by hilstwist View Post
    IS IT JUST ME? i CAN ONLY GET ONE PHOTO IN THIS.i wanted to ask if anyone knew who was racing the Statesman and how it did in the race?
    John Windelburn??

Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    John Windelburn??

Think John was in a Premier

Here is the Statesman in question. Pretty sure this is the Windleburn/Windleburn car?

Name:  00000007.jpg
Views: 1638
Size:  112.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Here is the Statesman in question. Pretty sure this is the Windleburn/Windleburn car?

Name:  00000007.jpg
Views: 1638
Size:  112.5 KB
    I get mixed up with the Statesman and Premier.
    Yep that looks like the old fella, second thoughts it may be Shane driving, ah buggered if I know with them. Be a lot easier to tell now. May be worth a thread on John and his history one day, he been around a wee bit.
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 12-04-2013 at 03:53 AM.

Here is an email I received today from Shane Windleburn about the Statesman:

Steve Noticed that Statesman picture on the website. I think that would be the 1981 B&H. We did run it in the 1982 B&H as well but it developed a bad oil leak after an hour or so, and we had to abandon it. We finished the 1981 race, but it had brake troubles, and that cost a bit of time, along with the fuel churn that we used, that was Phil Kerrs, which was worse than dreadful, it was so slow. It was good fun though. The car was a bit soft, but it was fast and could pass the Commdores down the back straight, but had to brake early because the pedal was so soft. It also got fuel surge when the level was low. I wish we had some of the knowledge then that we have garnered in the time since, as that was a good car choice for Puke’ circuit, and could easily have been on the pace. Good days back then

OK, here are some new updates to this thread. Steve took pics from the B&H endurance series over the span of about three years, from what I can tell. So I'm going to try and put these in some sort of order. I'm afraid I don't have any written material to hand that can help ID the cars from the 1981 series, as follows, so if anyone can jump in here and help, that would be great.

Name:  00000008.JPG
Views: 1375
Size:  124.2 KB

This one I do know: Radisich/Radisich

Name:  00000010.JPG
Views: 1419
Size:  105.3 KB

Journeyman Racer
    I am pretty sure that its Tim Bailey who was the owner of Continental car services, driving the red Golf. I really liked to watch the racing at that old part of the circuit. The Statesman has just exited the loop.

Thanks Steve, that little VW must have seemed quite exotic compared to the usual Falcadores and Japanese econo-boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by hilstwist View Post
    I am pretty sure that its Tim Bailey who was the owner of Continental car services, driving the red Golf. I really liked to watch the racing at that old part of the circuit. The Statesman has just exited the loop.
    Statesman onto back straight i would ahve thought, but bloody great photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Statesman onto back straight i would ahve thought, but bloody great photos.
    Rod- you are correct pix#6 and 7 are Statesman , they had their own style rear quarters, Premier had usual sedan

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Rod- you are correct pix#6 and 7 are Statesman , they had their own style rear quarters, Premier had usual sedan

Right John, was really trying to work out the position on track, out of Railway onto back straight had fence like that, but think similar fence from loop upto Railway, but can not remember the concrete strip on loop during club circuit.
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 01-20-2014 at 04:56 AM.