Thread: Historic Sport Sedans

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Beg to differ fullnoise68. We took legal advice on this 19 years ago, as it is the only way to control who runs with us.

Legally, if someone rocks up with a compliant car that conforms to the rules, but is a terror on or off the track in any way shape or form, you can't stop them running unless it is an invitation race/series. Far from keeping cars in sheds, it gives those who compete a degree of protection.

If it kept cars in sheds, then we wouldn't have had over 100 registered drivers for the last few years! (Currently, 57 paid up for the new season.)

When someone like John stands up in an arena well known for cars that may be considered dubious or less so, dodgy drivers, or troublesome drivers, then the series convenor needs to be able to protect himself and also the other drivers and remain true to a philosophy.

The only reason I got lumbered with running what was then the BMC Series was because the guy who started it was hassled by a driver well known to most of you, who took things to court when he didn't agree with a decision agreed to by all the other drivers. The convenor walked away after ten years of selfless dedication to the cause. No one blamed him for walking away.

We can ill afford to lose those who are prepared to stand up and do the voluntary work that the majority of drivers do not want to do.

They just want to leave everything to someone else, so that they can just enjoy their hobby.

Ray, you really need to open those blinds and let the sun shine in, there`s a big world out there. I`m all for John wanting to keep a lid on what happens, but my comments were based on helping to revive that class, not stand behind the entrance door with a baseball bat....

Semi-Pro Racer
    If I understand Ray, what he meant was that if George wanted to run Jim in the Mustang, George would talk to John and John would "invite" Jim. If some clown with a bad reputation turns up demanding to run, John can say "sorry, not invited".

Based on previous bad experiences (as I read it).

You are right Bryan, that is how I also see it. The point I was trying to make is quite simply that if Nathan Wood was going to allow Andrew Anderson - who is no dummy - to drive his Falcon, on the basis that he is not entering a Smashfest, where is the problem? What about the scenario of if Jackson French wanted Trevor Crowe to have a pedal of his old Starlet? Unlike some others, I haven`t lived under a rock for the past 50 years, and for me it`s more about the enjoyment for others as we are all only here once, life is not a rehearsal ......