Page 1 of 58 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Historic Sport Sedans

Historic Sport Sedans

Hi Everyone, it is with great pleasure it can be announced that Historic Sports Sedans will be running at Hampdon Downs at the Ferrari meeting in January next year.
    After discussions with Jim Barclay, the wording of the pre 85 class Open Saloon Class now to read-
    Pre ’85 & Invited Allcomers and Historic Sports Sedans’
    So the momentum that has kept them going with the great work of Robert Jack, Rodger Williams and recently George Shewiery will keep going.
    All entries to be directed to Jim Barclay for this meeting. www.motorsportentry.com
    As it is Historic, the desired spirit is getting the car on the track for enjoyment
    This thread is to inform people and the drivers of the change as there is 8 weeks to go

Excellent news. I look forward to seeing some interesting cars on the track.

Yep, there it is in a nut shell boys and girls. Run with the historic/classic people and you will slip in easy and have fun. Hope to see you all there having fun, and don't forget the chilly bin.
    Lets get that smile back on me mate George's face, and everyone else's.

This is good news, and thanks Mr Barclay for the offer.

Great news! I won't be racing, but will be armed with the camera.

Great news - am really looking forward to seeing those great cars on track again hopefully with some additional cars. See what happens George.

The Festival is shaping up to be another great event. Have already booked for both weekends.

Mike

This old (young) girl ran at Manfield a Couple weeks back, be good to se it have a run at the Festival.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

These were there as well, awesome to see a couple of the original Sports Sedans/OSCA cars, Had chat with boys

The Capri would be NZ's most used Capri and is still sweet.

The Mazda is also a sweet car and old owner Ralph Mossman had a little tear in his eye when he checked her out.

Be nice to have these boys on board for a run as well.

Another car that has done the yards, and is still a sweet little car, and the driver sure knows how to enjoy himself, he and his missus/cook/chef/mechanic/pit crew had a smile on their faces all weekend, they would love Hampton Downs.

Wow! Fingers crossed we get a lot more of these. What they have is character or individuality and in just three pics, they encapsulate exactly why those days were so good and why a lot of today's racers are so bland. Thanks Rod.

If you know of any one driver of one of these great saloons who would like to run at the Festival but is a deserving cause for a little bit of financial support, send me a private message (in strict confidence of course) and we'll donate say $300, from our series reserves, if it means they'll be there on track instead of staying home.
    Last edited by ERC; 11-25-2013 at 07:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Wow! Fingers crossed we get a lot more of these. What they have is character or individuality and in just three pics, they encapsulate exactly why those days were so good and why a lot of today's racers are so bland. Thanks Rod.

If you know of any one driver of one of these great saloons who would like to run at the Festival but is a deserving cause for a little bit of financial support, send me a private message (in strict confidence of course) and we'll donate say $300, from our series reserves, if it means they'll be there on track instead of staying home.

I will be trying to contact them after chatting with Graeme, and others.

can you email me phone contact etc for yourself. cheers

grimmie64@xtra.co.nz

Rod, I would have to disagree with you about the Capri being the most raced in NZ. It appears to be the car Brent Bullivant built up in the late 70's, but don't forget Munty's Capri came to NZ in the early 70's and raced continuously until he built the Commodore in the late 80's. Son Evan then did a few more seasons in it. Still great to see them back on the track. Cheers, Pete

Great cars and certainly ones we haven't seen in the upper North Island. Yes they would make a great addition to the fields for January. I am sure there will be more lurking in the background as well. Nice photos Rod - do you have any more ?
    Last edited by kiwi285; 11-25-2013 at 06:54 PM. Reason: add info

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post

Fantastic offer ERC. If I wasn't trying to survive on the pension just at the moment I would offer to do the same. It would be worth it to see these cars on track and being exercised. Man this could shape up to be a fantastic meeting with such cars hitting the track.

If I can help in any way I would like to be involved.

Mike

spinner32, yep I do know the Munty car very well, and the lucky guys to have played in it and it has the miles. The Bullivant car has had a couple of owners as well and has not been idle at all, running consistantly since it was built, but I am not going to count numbers as it would be great to see both cars together sometime.

Bullivant built the car in 1975 when he was mechanic for Jim Richards.
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 11-26-2013 at 02:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    spinner32, yep I do know the Munty car very well, and the lucky guys to have played in it and it has the miles. The Bullivant car has had a couple of owners as well and has not been idle at all, running consistantly since it was built, but I am not going to count numbers as it would be great to see both cars together sometime.

Bullivant built the car in 1975 when he was mechanic for Jim Richards.
    They have raced against each other, Rod. Back around 1980 when Graham Baker owned the Bullivant car he was not allowed to race OSCA as it had a space frame front. So he would enter the Flying Farewell. I recall a race at Timaru where he had a tremendous dice with Inky Tulloch in his Capri. Other drivers might disagree, but Graham and that Capri were the only serious competition to Inky at that time. The OSCA final used to be over 15 laps of the old Levels circuit. In this race Inky used to drop back, and around the 8 lap mark Inky's mechanic (whose name escapes me) would stroll out to the pit wall and give Inky the signal. Whereupon Inky would go for it and see how close to the end of the race before he would hit the front. The races with Graham Baker, however, were flat out from flag drop.
    The Munt car would always be chasing these two in front. Cheers, Pete

Like this.

Here is Barry Algies Monaro that i photoed yesterday.This car is exactly as it last ran. Yes , the front is off being glassed.
    This would be one of the first Sports Sedans as he was working on it in 1975.
    Barry needs financial assistance as he is getting on in years and no regular income.
    Any help here can be seen as sponsorship or recognition by having your name written on this highly visible billboard.
    My name and business is going on, who else wants to be part of this?
    Will be posting more pics today.
    Barry left my place just now to place his entry, join HRC and pay more off the radiator bill.
    Gordon Burr is entered so both the Algie creations will be there
    With these cars, it is preferable to have a rolling start so that will be looked in to.
    Technically-
    Motor completely set back, new firewall,spoiler width of the car, same height as the roof.
    Small block 400, 327 crank, with Lucas fuel injection .
    Simple interior and note the ducting to the radiator and GT40 transaxle.
    Mechanically unchanged or updated- pure history here.
    Yes it will be at HD in Jan and running hard, both car and driver a worthy addition to this Historic field.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 11-27-2013 at 02:15 AM.

That is a grouse looking car in every sense of the word. It is another one that I never saw in period so am over the moon that it is going to be on track. As I said above this is shaping up to be a great field of rear machinery not seen for many years. It is starting to pick up as the owners see who else is getting their cars track worthy again.

Just looking at the photos that have been posted here and those on other thread - hell, didn't they build some horny looking cars during that period. The modern stuff is so bland and sanitized that they have no appeal whatsoever to me anyway.

Roll on late January.
    Mike
    Last edited by kiwi285; 11-26-2013 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi285 View Post
    That is a grouse looking car in every sense of the word. Didn't they build some horny looking cars during that period. The modern stuff is so bland and sanitized that they have no appeal whatsoever to me anyway.

Roll on late January.
    Mike
    Hear hear.