Page 10 of 58 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Historic Sport Sedans

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty5 View Post
    Come on Rod, didn't you ever have broth as a kid and it was as hot as 'el
    In the day there was not much hotter than Elle

Update on Barrys Monaro- the list of things to do is getting shorter.
    My panelbeater has spent 2 half days with him, and will work tomorrow and Monday.
    It will be a race to get there.
    Many thanks to Andrew Metford for his indulgence in allowing Barry to get this far.
    Andrew is leaving Australia tonight to come back to NZ, and hopefully I will take him Tuesday,
    And unlike an unnamed time waster who interrupted Barry for an irreplaceable 3 hours, it will be a quick visit.
    You cant get back wasted time on this deadline.
    Ducts need to be modified then radiator fitted, only then can it be started
    Hopefully Rogered will give an update on the laying of the fibreglass for the front
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 01-11-2014 at 11:12 AM.

just found this for some enjoyment-
    Posted 26 October 2005 - 10:12
    What about the Graham Addis Charger?

As I recall it eventually got rebuilt around the Lola T190 that Carl Rayborn was supposed to race in NZ - ie it was rear engined.

I heard it was destroyed in a bizzare accident when a motor cyclist smashed into the trailer towing the car.

Then there was the Barry Algie Monaro. Not an HQ Monaro - the Norm Beechey model before. This despite the car appearing in the mid 80s. It was actuallt seriously fast and Barry was fearless. Or something.

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Time for an update-
    Was talking to Adrian Dobbe today, his entry is in - those looking at the Baypark 1976 clip on another thread will see it there in yellow- could be the oldest Sports Sedan in the field.
    Doesnt that make you think, 37 years a race car - cant see conrods favourite ssssanyyongs lasting that long.
    Hats of to the constructor, and all the owners for it being around for so long.,and Vauxhall for producing a quality product.
    Talking about quality,Barry Algie swung by today with the fattest, slickest Hoooosiers still wrapped in plastic, just arrived from US of A.Usual thing, trying to get them cleared from Customs lost him a day.
    He was stroking them lovingly, and describing how these babies were going to put him so far ahead of everyone else on the grid ,even Tony Rutherford.
    He says the view of Roger and Graeme behind him at the start is better than the same view after the first corner. Should be no cobwebs to blow out, just slipping back behind the wheel- makes it sound so easy.
    He has had the radiator made, he made the aluminium moulds for the tanks himself and after leaving me was going to the heat treatment and give them the works for 4 hours then drop in cold water. Take home and weld to the radiator, then fit to car.
    Will be going to his place with video to show the car running.
    There is still some adjustment to the ducts, and finish off the front clip with fibreglass.
    But he is keen and excited and thats what gets people to the start line.

Rogered- would you please add a post here on your Torana, a lot of people probably dont know the history here, and would love some background before seeing it in action.
    Ha ha ha love it.....John get a message to Barry and tell him that I will be looking in the mirror in case he "hooks up" off the line and let him know I am old school and will "hold my line" in case he accidently "Hole shots" me!...... Can't wait to catch up....like Rod says....don't forget the Chilly Binz!! See ya Friday Chaps...you are all Champions in my book. Regards, Tony Rutherford

looking forward to it Tony.
    Just heard Ron Findlay in the Capri Pirana damaged his gearbox at Taupo, hope you can get it sorted this week Ron, and join us all for two weekends of action and excitement.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 01-13-2014 at 08:28 AM.

Ron was going so well at Taupo with brilliant three way battles between himself, Grant Kern's MGB V8 and Zac Lawrence's BMW 635.
    Great driving and all lapping at about 1:08.

Certainly hope it can be fixed in time.

Name:  214_0111_173b.JPG
Views: 1577
Size:  172.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Update on Barrys Monaro- the list of things to do is getting shorter.
    My panelbeater has spent 2 half days with him, and will work tomorrow and Monday.
    It will be a race to get there.
    Many thanks to Andrew Metford for his indulgence in allowing Barry to get this far.
    Andrew is leaving Australia tonight to come back to NZ, and hopefully I will take him Tuesday,
    And unlike an unnamed time waster who interrupted Barry for an irreplaceable 3 hours, it will be a quick visit.
    You cant get back wasted time on this deadline.
    Ducts need to be modified then radiator fitted, only then can it be started
    Hopefully Rogered will give an update on the laying of the fibreglass for the front
    Just the normal last minite hold ups, waiting on material. Just layed up now, bit of finishing in the morning, should be out of the mold mid afternoon tomorrow.

[QUOTE=ERC;36973]Great driving and all lapping at about 1:08./QUOTE]

Considering the A1 lap record is 1.14 that is great driving Ray. Maybe 1.48?
    Last edited by Howard Wood; 01-13-2014 at 09:25 AM.

Whoops! Yes, 1:48... 108 seconds... Good to see you going so well too Howard! (A win in the BMW handicap?...) Sorry, no pic, as I was calculating our own handicaps when you were racing.

Quote Originally Posted by ;36932
    just found this for some enjoyment-
    Posted 26 October 2005 - 10:12
    What about the Graham Addis Charger?

As I recall it eventually got rebuilt around the Lola T190 that Carl Rayborn was supposed to race in NZ - ie it was rear engined.

I heard it was destroyed in a bizzare accident when a motor cyclist smashed into the trailer towing the car.

Then there was the Barry Algie Monaro. Not an HQ Monaro - the Norm Beechey model before. This despite the car appearing in the mid 80s. It was actuallt seriously fast and Barry was fearless. Or something.

Graham Addis has asked me to post this in the interest of accuracy-

Hello John,

You and others have made comments on TRS about the Charger being destroyed in a road accident etc.

The car was not destroyed.

It suffered severe roof, rear end body and wing damage. The panel work was a simple fix, and was completed prior to MANZ banning the car.

The rest of the car including the spaceframe chassis survived without any significant damage.

I think accuracy is key around historic vehicles.

You may wish to enlighten others to the above fact.

Thank you.

B/rgds,

Graeme Addis.

Just heard Ron Findlay has got another gearbox so all going well we will see him in action this weekend.
    We have 26 entries for this class, a great effort by all competitors to exceed the numbers from previous years.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 01-14-2014 at 10:17 PM.

I'm really, really looking forward to seeing these cars in action, best of luck for the weekend to all involved and I'll be sure to post a few shots from the Festival!

Cheers, Richy

World Champion
    John, I would just like to thank you for welcoming the Amco Mini into the ranks of the Historic Sports Sedan class at the Festival this weekend. From what I can understand you have stepped in as co-ordinator of this up, and very definitely coming, class.
    I have no doubt that these will be the races to watch.

While the Mini is not really a Sports Sedan, I am sure we are going to have some fun trying to keep up with some of these fire-breathing monsters, and we may be up against it as far as horse-power is concerned, but I have a feeling that it will be the cars that are still running at the end who will be the victors.

To the Chap, or Chaps who organised this promotion, could you please put your hands up so that we can suitably reward you with a box of Roses chocolates!!!!!

Oh goody, I get to use the blue flag!!!!! LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    John, I would just like to thank you for welcoming the Amco Mini into the ranks of the Historic Sports Sedan class at the Festival this weekend. From what I can understand you have stepped in as co-ordinator of this up, and very definitely coming, class.
    I have no doubt that these will be the races to watch.

While the Mini is not really a Sports Sedan, I am sure we are going to have some fun trying to keep up with some of these fire-breathing monsters, and we may be up against it as far as horse-power is concerned, but I have a feeling that it will be the cars that are still running at the end who will be the victors.

To the Chap, or Chaps who organised this promotion, could you please put your hands up so that we can suitably reward you with a box of Roses chocolates!!!!!

Update on Barrys Monaro- Roger Davis very kindly brought the mould and front to Pokeno, thanks Roger
    Scotty picked it up and took it to Barrys workshop, it still needed some finishing, was primed a few hours ago.
    It will have the tilt mechanism fitted to it, then to the car and vitamin C orange paint applied.
    Another full day by Barrry, John and Scott.
    I gave Barry 20 litres race gas so he can start it tomorrow, and Scott goes to Ardmore with my 44 gallon drum to fill it up.- cant take the tech workers off the car.
    The ducting moulds are finished and now installed with radiator going in at 7.30 am.They are still working now.
    There will be another full day tomorrow,
    I will be doing his entry Friday morning, speak to CoC and all going well he will make qualifying.

On way down now, so may se you today John depending how trip goes.

If not see you at HD

Graeme Addis appeared and ran the Charger today in the deomonstration, what a sight.
    So many people said to me it was just as they remembered it, what a time capsule, it was if he had never been away.
    The car passed scrutineering, but there was a major hiccup with no log book.
    All the officials who could help did exactly that, wonderful people here.
    Fortunately it was a Friday and Chis Watson called MANZ to do his utmost ,and before the day finished Graeme had an official letter with a logbook number.Chris put a huge amount of his personal time into this also Brian friend- thanks for caring mates
    Graeme and his team have asked me to publically thank hugely everyone involved for attending to this.
    He could have been told to go away and come back with the relevent completed logbook, thus ruining a long held dream as well as the weekend.
    However Classic racing is about looking after each other, it was fantastic to get it resolved before racing tomorrow.
    After all the work he has put in and overlook this at a race meeting is upsetting, and a special huge thank you to Terry Karkeek, Crunch and those at MSNZ for doing this.
    There is definitely cooperation at a high level here, and I know that Classic racing is in good hands with Crunch and his team.
    Anyone meeting them tomorrow, please pass on your appreciation of them to him as he will be there.
    And by the way, I have Barry Algies logbook, licence and club membership , I will be registering him first thing in the morning as arranged.
    He wont be there Sat , but for sure on Sunday, and boy, is he champing at the bit to get out there.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 01-18-2014 at 09:07 AM.

Nice to hear John, enjoy the weekend, Cheers

Thanks also to Campbell Robertson the MSNZ Steward.

I won't be there tomorrow but a huge Saturday crowd today. Great atmosphere and plenty to look at off track. (See the other Festival thread for pics.)