Page 16 of 58 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Historic Sport Sedans

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Attachment 24235
    Not the best pic, but it is from early days- colour scheme, no wing, air dam.
    Surely this is BayPark, and everybody enjoying another hot day in the office.
    Any leads on the blue car?
    John Osborne in his Osca winning Camaro

Blue Camaro is John Osborne in the ex-Spinner Black/Rod Coppins/Bruce Jenner etc Camaro.

Awesome pics John.

Is it time to now start a new thread for the upcoming season or races or even just the class?

Title says it all, when and where it started and who its about.

Quote Originally Posted by fullnoise68 View Post
    Yes it is Crunch, the Torana was the ex Roy Harrington car.
    I wonder where that car went?

World Champion
    Crunch, I think that story is in the Lost Cars thread. I vaguely recall something about the panels being in a garage in Auckland, but I might be mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by crunch View Post
    I wonder where that car went?
    I believe the car sat outside for some years with the resulting rust taking its toll on the shell. The exterior fibre panels were removed and saved , and what was left was dumped.

Steve Matich had it sitting at his place for a while, didnt even know what was really going on with it, wasnt even offered it.
    He told me body was rough, restorable now, but noone cared then. Was dumped.,he remembers well that it is dead, deceased buried
    Grady Thomson first raced this when new for the first couple hundred miles, road test in Autonews. Raced by quite a few.
    Correct about front guards- safe in some ones garage in Auckland- will not say location.

World Champion
    Name:  image (1).jpg
Views: 1243
Size:  166.1 KB
    Bob Cullinane in the ex Bullivant Capri shown in post #293 under Brian Friends ownership

Semi-Pro Racer
    Attachment 24225
    Would anyone have any info on this- could be Whenuapei?
    nzeder will be pleased - there is a Datsun Z racing here.
    Definitely Whenuapai Wings & Wheels 1984. Numbers tally with programme, and from a few indistinct photos I took!

Datsun Z #432 is one D.Meadows. There were 3 other Z's in entry plus a whole bunch of Ferraris that year, plus Morris's ERA and Whitehouse Cooper-Bristol.

Late Dave McKinney's NZ Motoring News had a double-page report of the W&W - remember when we had real motor magazines you could pick up and read?

Stu

Here's an old home video I dug up on this wet weekend. Puke 1991/92 season.

Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    Bob Cullinane in the ex Bullivant Capri shown in post #293 under Brian Friends ownership
    Looks funny shape, but colour is similar to Mr Cullinane colours maybe not best photo angle.
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 03-15-2014 at 10:11 AM.

Yep that's the colour , just looks bit odd in other photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by stubuchanan View Post
    Definitely Whenuapai Wings & Wheels 1984. Numbers tally with programme, and from a few indistinct photos I took!
    I'd love a photo copy/scan of that programme if possible Stu, as I took a small number of pics, but as mentioned earlier, didn't see any racing. If I'd known my ex was going to walk anyway, I would have gone to the race meeting as a flaggie!

Quote Originally Posted by Limezed View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z70wU...ature=youtu.be
    yep when Aussie boys came over for a play, the red white Supra was original Monza. Allard was other trying to remember others, Jag was grouse and quick.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    I'd love a photo copy/scan of that programme if possible Stu, as I took a small number of pics, but as mentioned earlier, didn't see any racing. If I'd known my ex was going to walk anyway, I would have gone to the race meeting as a flaggie!

Would also be interested in any photos of an Anglia (light blue) at this fun day if any of you people have any.
    Got asked by official if it could keep wheels on ground, but it was hard to train. Anyway that's how Anglias grew up, so who was I to tell it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Limezed View Post

Oh wow, that is cool to see. Thats the year the four Aussie teams raced in NZ against the four NZ teams. I think they only ran the North Island tracks? Could be wrong about that. The Aussies were Bryan Thomson in a Jaguar XJS, Kerry Bailey in a Chevy V8 powered Toyota Supra, Des Wall in a Chevy V8 powered Toyota Supra, and Jeff Barnes in a Chevy Monza. The Wall Supra was the former Bob Jane Monza which was later converted to the Toyota when owned by Bryan Thomson. The Jeff Barnes Monza was the DeKon 1001, which was bought by Red Dawson in 1975, and which he had his big shunt in at Manfeild in 1976.

Cool stuff.

Didn't Bob run that Capri with an automatic at some stage?

Didn't Bob run that Capri with an automatic at some stage?