Page 56 of 58 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1156

Thread: Historic Sport Sedans

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce302 View Post
    And that's Brent Bullivant standing next to his old Capri (now 118 Graham Barnes driven) in post # 1095
    Did anyone ask his opinion on the Capri? He was very young when he built it, still a teenager. Obviously a really talented guy, but was heavily under-funded.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Did anyone ask his opinion on the Capri? He was very young when he built it, still a teenager. Obviously a really talented guy, but was heavily under-funded.
    We had drinks with Brent and spoke at length about the car and his builds, there were 3 iterations, improving as it went along until it was the tubed car it is now. Obviously yellow would be nice but it is what it is. Brent was working with Jim Richards at the time and later he went across to Australia and worked with Jim again for about 3 years, his efforts were partly responsible for the success of the big Falcon coupe that Jim ran as well as other cars. Real nice guy and has a great memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce302 View Post
    We had drinks with Brent and spoke at length about the car and his builds, there were 3 iterations, improving as it went along until it was the tubed car it is now. Obviously yellow would be nice but it is what it is. Brent was working with Jim Richards at the time and later he went across to Australia and worked with Jim again for about 3 years, his efforts were partly responsible for the success of the big Falcon coupe that Jim ran as well as other cars. Real nice guy and has a great memory.
    Yes thats right Bruce, it started off with a Ford motor before switching to SBC. I think it first appeared in 1975, and evolved until 1979. By this time Brent was working for Richards. I know when Richards raced the Falcon hardtop in NZ in early 1979 in the Open Saloon series, Brent was both preparing the Falcon and racing his Capri in the same series. There is a photo somewhere on this site of the Falcon in NZ and with "Prepared By Brent Bullivant" listed on the door.

Would have been interesting to see what he could have achieved with a healthy budget. I believe his tyres were four year old hand-me-downs.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Yes thats right Bruce, it started off with a Ford motor before switching to SBC. I think it first appeared in 1975, and evolved until 1979. By this time Brent was working for Richards. I know when Richards raced the Falcon hardtop in NZ in early 1979 in the Open Saloon series, Brent was both preparing the Falcon and racing his Capri in the same series. There is a photo somewhere on this site of the Falcon in NZ and with "Prepared By Brent Bullivant" listed on the door.

Would have been interesting to see what he could have achieved with a healthy budget. I believe his tyres were four year old hand-me-downs.
    Brent got Jim's cast off tyres, so they were definitely used. The SBC was from Dexter Dunlop's F5000.

B.

"Would have been interesting to see what he could have achieved with a healthy budget. I believe his tyres were four year old hand-me-downs."

Brent told me the car owed him $45,000 back in mid 70s ,-that was a healthy amount back then.
    he sold it as it was a one way money pit.
    Not a cent of that was spent on tyres.
    And he was rapt to see his old Capri running with Bunces (Team Cambridge ) old Monaro in the weekend, and remembers the last time they were on the track together was April 1975 at the Paul Fahey Flying Farewell
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 11-16-2017 at 07:01 AM.

$45000 back then was 2 decent houses! Someone said after a few years had past they could have bought it for $5000 less engine.
    Whole lota car there. Brent is a really clever guy, it was great to listen to his story.

A mans greatest fear is that his wife will sell his car for what he told her it owes him.......sound familiar Paul ?

Robin Tanner was telling me today about a guy racing back in the mid 70's, English car, Chev powered, owed him $ 30 K, but was still slower than the $ 12 K Firebird Robin was running. The other guy persevered, spent more money but didn't get any faster.

That would not be an isolated story.

B.

If you do it in your early life, thats OK.
    Its only when you do it in your 60s, that you start to worry if you have actually learned anything in your lifetime

J
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 11-17-2017 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
    $45000 back then was 2 decent houses! Someone said after a few years had past they could have bought it for $5000 less engine.
    Whole lota car there. Brent is a really clever guy, it was great to listen to his story.
    We all only come this way but once, good on him for doing it while still young..............and now he's a bit of a legend. Dale M

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    A mans greatest fear is that his wife will sell his car for what he told her it owes him.......sound familiar Paul ?
    And the moral of the story is: Always tell your wife what your race car will be worth when its finished and what a great money making investment it is..... Tui add?

Great pic Roger---what year?
    Steve Pearson with his Renault - 81.
    Looks like Jen Mossman in front-28.
    Whose the hidden red car?

This from Roger-The rear comer of the commodore you see is the Mack Workman, Lindsay Willis built Commodore.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 11-22-2017 at 08:13 PM.

In relation to Red Renny, this from a memory-

The Rimp -Imp with twin turbo engine-was crashed heavily at Taupo, then fixed, , and then a huge crash at turn 1 at puke, then dumped,
    all the mechanicals put into Red Renny Renault body.
    That was later crashed (not sure where, taupo or baypark ??) and pretty sure it was dumped,
    and then he built the rover.

maybe 1989 ish
    yes Steve Pearson in the renault,
    cant recall the datsun Coupe,
    Jennifer, in likely the first Run in the ex Brett Willis Smith Steel Commodore, as it retains the VK front at this stage.

Red Renny-
    Hi l had a big crash at Bay Park back I'm the day the v8 motor went in a stock car some parts in the Rover some I still have the Bent up body I stored for years then dumped cheers Steve

So looks like Red Renny is gone and not up for restoration.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 11-23-2017 at 01:24 AM.

Our next event for our long hot summer season is Taupo F5000 Historic Grand Prix and Tourist Trophy Meeting.
    Entry forms are now being send out to all our drivers and need to be in by Dec 22
    January 20 , 21, with Friday being a fun practice day- not part of the event itself.
    We all remember how neat it was at Taupo in April with our first visit and look forward to another fun event.
    This is Wellington Anniversary Weekend - so make it a long one.
    Good places to stay..if you need more info -contact me, but get in early as this is Taupo in Summertime

In appreciation of the distance drivers have to travel to race, Taupo have a ZERO entrance fee.
    Thank you Chris Abbot and his Team for this wonderful offer.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 11-23-2017 at 10:29 PM.

interesting project here-
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car...x0G3sqPgwMX3hw

ex barry vujk sunbeam stiletto........look great in our feild

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rogered View Post
    Name:  mossman cdoor.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  85.6 KB
    Looks like a 120Y, its #29 sponsor on windscreen looks like Toolcraft

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    interesting project here-
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car...x0G3sqPgwMX3hw

ex barry vujk sunbeam stiletto........look great in our feild
    It would, but theres no Chassis/body... from my understanding.

Here it is driven by Bryan Bate in January 82
    Name:  18766054_10209106002718468_7604704762559678217_n.jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  157.9 KB