Page 52 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1156

Thread: Historic Sport Sedans

I have had a very busy week, and finally the day before Taupo , I have decided try to take the Torana to race.
    Needed- a complete package involving a tow car , car trailer and driver .
    I need to get there tomorrow-leave about midday , and return to Auckland Sunday afternoon or Monday.
    Even getting the car there tomorrow would be most important as I can get the car back seperately
    Can arrange accommodation at the track and cover expenses.
    Anyone interested ?
    Also Taupo weather is looking good for this weekend.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 04-06-2017 at 06:01 AM.

Chris Watson sent me the Face book views from the Taupo 8 April BArry Algie Memorial meeting-

Taupo Barry Algie

Libre Roll out 842
    Historic Sports sedans 4313
    Hooters 873
    Historic Sports sedans 672
    Prizegiving Historic Sports sedan 4132
    Historic Sports sedans Grid 1000

Last edited by John McKechnie; 05-21-2017 at 07:04 AM.

HSS are having their annual meeting to confirm the program for the next summer
    Time- Wednesday 31 May 7pm.
    Venue- Adrian Dobbes ,72 Ingram Rd, Drury- down long driveway.
    Pizza can be delivered, out of town campervan owners can stay overnight

Time to put up the 2017/2018 calendar for our class-

A....October 14 TACCOC Hampton Downs Saturday only meeting.3 races

B.....November 11,12- MG Manfeild.

C.....December 10 TACCOC Hampton Downs- Sunday only we dont have our own grid, however-provisionally those cars that have a COD and HSS sticker can run with HMC with Dales permission.-3 races

D.....January 20,21 -F5000 Grand Prix -Taupo. I will be organizing a motorsport trivia quiz night for some entertainment

E.....March 17,18 -Legends of Speed- Hampton Downs- definitely wont clash with Beach Hop.

F..... April 7.8 -Taupo - Barry Algie Trophy

HMC and HSS are also running at all of these 6 events and should be great for the fans to see all our Historics out running.
    HSS race format- Race 1- scratch/grid, balance will be Handicaps.
    All events are pre-entry so check online or with organizing club to avoid disappointment.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 07-23-2017 at 02:22 AM.

I have been reliably informed that these two cars will be racing with the HSS field at the MG Meeting in November.

The Murdoch Shellsport Avenger
    Last edited by kiwi285; 07-27-2017 at 03:29 AM.

This is Michael Johnstons cars, he is from Ashburton, and has been running for 30+ years.
    The one on the left belongs to his family - its a 2 door Avenger Shellsport and I am told that it is one of only 2 original Shellsports in the South Island. It was built up by Wayne Murdoch who used to be the mechanic for Barry Lloyd- XAGT Coupe ,he won 2 NZ titles- , then he ran a XA GT Sedan . Michaels brother bought it 20+ years ago because a Murdoch car was worth owning, they were well built and that good.
    Car is exactly as it was then.
    The other car is his Nissan Scarab- 240 with 327. It ran just like is in 70s and 80s in America-.he ran with us last year.
    I am proud to announce that these 2 time capsules will be running in the Historic Sports Sedans and Invited Allcomer class at MG Manfeild in November.

Not many time we in the NI will get a chance to see these 2 rare and genuine cars, but thats what Historics are all about- seeing close up the real cars.
    Big thanks to Mike Feisst for posting these pix.

Also to all competitors going to Manfield -
    Undercover stadium parking -$150 plus GST is still available, but going fast.
    Get in while it is till available- contact Bruce Dyer or Dale Mathers.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 07-28-2017 at 08:02 PM.

Now that is what Historic Sports Sedans is all about........well done getting these two cars up from down south John. Dale M

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi285 View Post
    I have been reliably informed that these two cars will be racing with the HSS field at the MG Meeting in November.

The Murdoch Shellsport Avenger

One of our drivers now has the MK2 Zephyr Corvette Replica as built by John Climo and run with us several years ago by John Marslin
    Here is some very interesting pix collection of the build of the car in 1983, Rod Coppins at the time -

https://www.cabbagetreecornermedia.com/johns-work-page

A lot of work on this by John Climo ,excellent look back at the early days of Historic Saloons -Resto Racing which is essential to understanding that what we have now did not happen overnight and a lot of people had real vision back then
    One of my favourite pix is Jim Richards who was driving it at the Wellington street race, standing next to it
    Great viewing ,never seen these pix before enjoy them all as I know i did.
    And appreciate that the Zephyr that Rod raced in 1983, one of the originals at the start then will still be racing with us 34 years on.
    Its never about the speed, its about the cars.-which is why the Invited Allcomers are so important
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 08-08-2017 at 07:33 AM.

Great to see that car back on the track for sure. John Climo sure has done a great job.
    Great piece of resto history.

This from a regular watcher-
    Thanks John, That is very interesting. John Climo deserves recognition as a dedicated enthusiast.

That was a very good build and very authentic car.

It is in good hands now.

On Allcomer topic, looking at these car that came out for Resto Racing-

A......MK1 Zephyr CN 6757- Geoff Walker, John Dring, racing in 1984, what happened to this car?
    We have MK2, MK3 Zephyrs running with us, we need a MK1-definitely this one, will look at others to make a full house set for the Blue Oval- MK1V dont have any historical representatives. There were 390 MK1s, Mays heads.......

B......Also talking about MK1s there were 2 door Cortinas running in Resto Racing- John Stevens. Where are they now, they can now be running in Bruces Historic Saloon Car class, or ,with a V8, they can run with us.

C......Tim Williams Humber 80...another car that could be running in Bruces HSC class

D.......Heads update on the ex Faloon Anglia number 57.....

So any of these sitting in garages that people want to exercise with Historics ?

Roger Williams has advised me that he will be running his Corvette with us this season and to send him our program.
    This is a very special car....it is the real deal-

"With Greenwood Corvettes doing so well, customers began rolling up, all wanting their own versions. Several customer cars were built throughout the '70s for privateer teams to contest IMSA and Trans-Am. One of these is the car now owned by Kiwi historic racing enthusiast, Roger Williams, and was only recently imported into New Zealand. This car started life around 1977 as an earlier 1968-'69 base Greenwood-built L88, with the much milder FIA-style flares of the pre-1974 Greenwood cars. In February 1979, it was purchased by amateur racer Bill 'Snoopy' Wessel, who raced it twice that year, both times at Daytona, including the November Daytona Finale 250 Mile event. At some point the car was upgraded to wide-body specifications. Of the 12 wide-body Greenwood cars, Roger's car is number 005."
    The article can be found-

http://www.medinaracing.com/fabrication.html

So here we have a seriously Historic coming out to join us again.
    Roger was going to run with us several years ago, but didnt get through practice before needing some major work.
    The car is presented as a tribute to -Old Blue
    -" the original Old Blue car was initially displayed by Greenwood at the 1974 Detroit Auto Show"-article
    This is a very, very desirable car in the USA.
    We are so lucky that he has it and will run with us so all the fans can enjoy it
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 08-09-2017 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    On Allcomer topic, looking at these car that came out for Resto Racing-

A......MK1 Zephyr CN 6757- Geoff Walker, John Dring, racing in 1984, what happened to this car?
    We have MK2, MK3 Zephyrs running with us, we need a MK1-definitely this one, will look at others to make a full house set for the Blue Oval- MK1V dont have any historical representatives. There were 390 MK1s, Mays heads.......

B......Also talking about MK1s there were 2 door Cortinas running in Resto Racing- John Stevens. Where are they now, they can now be running in Bruces Historic Saloon Car class, or ,with a V8, they can run with us.

C......Tim Williams Humber 80...another car that could be running in Bruces HSC class

D.......Heads update on the ex Faloon Anglia number 57.....

So any of these sitting in garages that people want to exercise with Historics ?
    Yes John HSC would welcome any Mk1 Cortina, Twin Cam or pre crossflow. We are missing these neat cars along with Mini's.
    We have between HMC and HSC a great group of Pre 1966 building. To date 2 Anglia's, 2 Alfa Romeo Giulia's, 1 Mk2 Jaguar, 1 Wolseley 1500 and 2 Falcon Sprints being built.
    If this interests any of you please give us, Dale or myself a call. Contact details are on our website.
    historicmusclecars.co.nz

PS we are not Bruce's HSC group, we are HSC...thanks
    Last edited by Spgeti; 08-09-2017 at 07:53 AM.

John, the ex Faloon Anglia is alive and well in Apiti. The current custodian is a really nice chap who may not be allowed to drive competitively any more. PM me for contacts if you wish.

I have been talking to a guy about XU1s with 308 V8s in them.
    He told me about when serving his apprenticeship in Timaru 1975 , there was a chap Tim Bayliss who had an XU1 and put a 308 in it.
    Any leads or info on this ?

This Monza is in my mates barn. I don't know anything about it's history other than it was bought for the Sprintcar engine it had in it.

I'll ask him about it when he gets back from Knoxville next week.

Please do ask him, fascinating looking car...great to know its history

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Please do ask him, fascinating looking car...great to know its history
    I'll be sure to ask him John.

Some photos taken earlier in the year.Name:  php2IYWIBAM.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  106.9 KBName:  php4DPzzEAM.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  122.8 KBName:  php5s3xuTAM.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  139.4 KBName:  php71yMP1AM.jpg
Views: 686