Page 20 of 58 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Historic Sport Sedans

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Shell Sport cars ran in later years with Sports Sedans so they could get a run, after they were cast aside by Wellington, (and those with the pulling power to have 'their' cars run in 'their class) and sad but most class's would follow suit.

There are a reasonable number of them (Shell Sport) still sitting around and think most can not be bothered with going through dramas (as in spending $s to prove history or apply for 'new' cod) after having been dealt up years ago.
    C'mon Rod; are you sure that's the real reason...or just an excuse?
    Actually "most" of them have got together and want to start again along the lines of what Historic Muscle Cars and Historic Sports Sedans are doing.
    Some positive news!

Shell Sport cars ran in later years with Sports Sedans so they could get a run, after they were cast aside by Wellington, (and those with the pulling power to have 'their' cars run in 'their class) and sad but most class's would follow suit.

There are a reasonable number of them (Shell Sport) still sitting around and think most can not be bothered with going through dramas (as in spending $s to prove history or apply for 'new' cod) after having been dealt up years ago.
    Thats right Rod, ShellSport cars were regular starters in Sports Sedan fields, as were cars from other classes, such as production etc. Often the Sports Sedans were outnumbered by the ring-ins. There are several ShellSport cars currently competing in historic racing, the big difference being, many wear DOT tyres now, whereas the ShellSport car in period wore slicks.

OK guys, Rod has opened the door here.
    Is anyone out there, apart from Rod who has one of these Shell Sports from that era and wants to run?
    Throw me some pms and see what we can do.

That worked John.

And yep Crunch I am still bit not sure on it. Don't want hassles on authenticity (cage etc), not me sorry. (been there done that)
    If car stays as it is yep maybe, but problem is log book lost (or misplaced) during shifts and that a hassle.
    If it works, good be out for a play, but will wait and watch developments.

No spoiler on the front either Sean. Looks like the car had only recently been painted here?

No year on this, but safe to say it was the last variation on body changes.
    Subject to correction, I think this is Baypark and another well attended meeting with the cars the fans wanted to see.
    Top pic- John Learmont in sunnies maybe, a bike guy with Sunday News on his back.
    Anyone got IDs on other cars and drivers.
    Is that Starlet V8- in the middle picture? If it is , it will be racing this weekend.
    Capri is Cullane.
    Only one more set of 3 to be posted tomorrow.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 03-25-2014 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Subject to correction, I think this is Baypark and another well attended meeting with the cars the fans wanted to see.
    Top pic- John Learmont in sunnies, maybe a bike guy with Sunday News on his back.
    Is that Starlet V8- in the middle picture? If it is , it will be racing this weekend.
    Capri is Cullane.
    Only one more set of 3 to be posted tomorrow.
    Harold Wootten in sunnies, John Learmonth the bearded bloke.

Noel Cullen, Alfa expert, on right, ball cap and stache?

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Harold Wootten in sunnies, John Learmonth the bearded bloke.

Correct Bailey, Guy in Leathers could be Bruce Motley he raced super cart with Sunday News, Quick as well, him and Mr Prouse

And Correct Crunch with Huxford
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 03-26-2014 at 02:50 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    And Correct Crunch with Huxford
    Oops, my bad. Was the Cullinane, Algie, Crowe photo 1982? According to this story Cullinane only did a full season in '82.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Capri is Cullane.
    First Crowe Starlet, but in a different livery to the New Year 1983 meeting. Ditto for Cullinane Capri.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    First Crowe Starlet, but in a different livery to the New Year 1983 meeting. Ditto for Cullinane Capri.
    I think you might find it is the Wayne Huxford Capri

Name:  download (16).jpg
Views: 1235
Size:  164.9 KB

Name:  download (15).jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  182.7 KB
    Pukekohe - October 1984.
    As we fondly remember it, complete with cabbage trees and the ditch.
    Not a concrete wall or sound meter in sight.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 03-25-2014 at 09:54 PM.

Name:  download (17).jpg
Views: 1266
Size:  170.3 KB
    Baypark 1984.
    Addis and Algie- 2 good men together.
    Looking at the people in the background, possibly testing
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 03-25-2014 at 09:51 PM.

And thats all folks, next lot of pics will be from after this weekends Legend of Speed.

Legends of Speed -
    We had a good turn out of guys who were definitely not into processions for the weekend.
    I want to thank- John Telford, Richard Quinn, and Robert Bartley for making the long drive to run with us.
    Steve Noyer was rapt to be with us, Neil Tolich could only be there for a couple, most importantly- a big wrap to the Windlebourns for getting Gordons Alfetta for some racing.
    It was 2 classes for the price of one, so like John Sampson and some others , I got in 64 laps in total- 2 practices and 6 races- got to help use up the fossil fuel while its there.
    It was smiles all round and in keeping with the spirit of other classes we ran a rollup handicap for our last race .
    John Telford and Robert Jack were usually within 0.2 secs of each other in 1.11.
    Neil Tolich was consistent at 1.12
    Dennis Running, Richard Quinn and Steve Noyer were running 1.13 to 1.14.
    Graeme Addis is improving all the time and posted a 1.16 while overtaking me on the last lap of race 25.
    I was able to do a 1.16, and had a couple of close battles with Robert Bartley in the Custaxie 2.
    He was posting a very respectable 1.18, and I can tell you he is not hanging around, he wants more.
    Barry Algie getting on top of reliability is getting down to 1.20 which is the same time as regular pilot Nathan Wood - a 6 cylinder XF sedan.
    Gordon told me after the rollup that this was the first race in the Alfetta he had ever finished- may he have many more.
    I have done a few more things from the bucket list in running with these great Historic Sedans
    Hopefully we can get some pics up here
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 03-30-2014 at 10:36 PM.

John, loved your big power slide out of (I think) turn four - I'm not sure the wee RX2 beside you enjoyed it as much as us spectators though! Great stuff!

Paul- Yep , it was turn 4, got to do a couple of skids or people think you are in a procession.
    I did get a good view out the side window of the same RX2 cutting the grass on the out side of the track two corners later.
    Hope you got good value with me and the Custaxie 2 also in the same corner.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 03-31-2014 at 12:28 AM.

Your wish is our command.

Name:  214_0330_084b.JPG
Views: 1959
Size:  89.3 KB

Name:  214_0330_090b.JPG
Views: 1875
Size:  85.8 KB