Page 7 of 58 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Historic Sport Sedans

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    It's not that far, just through the back door and office and in the garage.

Na started sorting brakes etc and looking at rose joints (scary, they not cheap) of which there are a few. Decided to strip right back and repaint again. Got to shift the sore rally car so we have some room.
    Stop pissing about Rodney and bring it down to my shop. You can do the whole lot here....I have spares like Rose /Heim joints all over the place....and I am a very proficiant car painter these days.....should cost you five eighths of what we used to run them back then... All you need is a trailer and of course your Chilly Bin. The girls are off to Aussie on the 7th Jan till 17th so we got 9 days to trash the place and one to pay some overseas assembled ladies to clean it! Don't forget the Chilly Bin!

Now that is what you would call a great offer.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi285 View Post
    Now that is what you would call a great offer.

Mike, you do not know the rooster. Sounds good, but at the moment I am still married and that would only be the start, having to clean up the house would be the least of worries.

Tony you are right, you will be in front, but alas holding everyone up again.

cheers old boy.

The history of the Alfetta- as told to me by Barry Algie- goes back to the mid 70s. They had just rebuilt and sold a Jensen Interceptor and Ian with his share of the money wanted to build a wilder Sports Sedan than Barry.
    Barry had bought a HT Monaro from Ace Towing that had been stolen and torched.He already had the ZF transaxle from the Katipo MJ 70.
    Ian was in raptures with the Alfetta shape, most perfect aerodynamic and was rear transaxle also.
    There were no bodies available here, so where to get one?
    So the brothers went off to that well known centre of fashion to get the most fashionable body- Milan in Italy.
    At the factory there were bodies aplenty, but they were told to go to the Agent in Arezzo, a nearby district.
    There they bought the body for 2 million lire- NZ$2000.
    They had the body, and were directed to a wrecking yard(?) to get the rest of the parts to make up a car including the transaxle.
    All this they loaded into a crate and sent to Montreal in Canada.
    When they caught up with it, the crate had been opened and some stuff taken. Thats why the car had no door handles.
    Next stage was moving in from one side of Canada to Victoria on the other side.
    As finances were low, it was cheaper to buy an old truck, load it themselves and team drive non stop.
    Some amusing and nasty things happened on the way, but after 4 days they arrived and sent it to NZ.
    As it was not so easy importing in those days, he had had to buy an Alfa that was wrecked, show Customs that he was getting a replacement body even before they left.Proof was needed for importation.
    There was another trip to Milan, this time Auto Delta to get the flares, however they werent available to be sold.
    They contented themselves with looking through the windows to the workshop.
    Ian then made the flares to suit.
    The body is 1977, it arrived in 1978 and first ran in 1984.
    Barrys Monaro was started in 1975 and ran 1985.
    Alfetta still has the original V6 transaxle.

Missed this part. so will add-
    The original idea was to fit a Porsche 930 Turbo motor , but as time went by was now not available, so the next decision was what to put in an Alfetta body- simple Ian came rolled up and Barry was dummying a Chev up ............
    Seriously though, they were into Chevs, most F5000s were Chev ,light and transaxle .
    At about that time the Halliday Bros had a motor available- the ex Ken Smith Lola Chapparal 302 Chev V8.
    So that was purchased and went in to the car

The absolute uniqueness of the 2 Algie cars and Graeme Addis Charger are indeed testament to the enthusiasm people have to these Sports Sedans.

This thread welcomes any build stories, anecdotes on any of our Historic Sports Sedans, Allcomers and Oscas that we look forward to seeing on our tracks.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 12-11-2013 at 09:14 PM.

Graeme Addis contacted me and has asked me to add this-

Hello John,

I have read your post about the Algies and the origin of the Alfetta and I believe every word of this.

I know Canada well, having had family live there and enjoy a really switched on country.

My mind goes into overdrive imagining the trip across that country in a truck full of Algies.

How they did buy a truck in French speaking east Canada? The French language they would have used would diddle the smartest froggie speaking truck dealer into a deal he never intended to make!

As for the trip, even the bears would have been ‘tested’. This all so Algie, and is why I have always had an affection and admiration for them. Nothing stops an Algie.

Ian and I spent all lot of time together, at full noise, never traded paint, and I could trust him in to do the right thing always.

I remember chasing him through Dunlop at Puke, both of us doing it really strong. Suddenly the Alfetta erupted, bits of ‘ravioli castings’ were landing on my bonnet!
    I saw Ian reach up and snatch something out of the air inside his cockpit. Turned out it was the fire extinguisher that was mounted on the trans tunnel beside him.
    The torque tube assembly had croaked and got all cranky, throwing bits of Italian engineering in all directions. Only time I know that it had a mechanical failure ..a real credit to them.

B/rgds,

Graeme Addis.

John I would like you to include the above in a post you might next do on TRS. It will reinforce the wonder of those years.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Awesome stories.

The Algies were certainly smart engineers and I am amazed at the handstands that car builders had to go through to get the parts they needed. I remember that some cars had to be sent to Australia and then re-imported to ger round the restrictions prevalent then. They were certainly persistent.

Rod - I figured that that would be the case and probably not a lot of car rebuilding would have been achieved.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi285 View Post
    The Algies were certainly smart engineers and I am amazed at the handstands that car builders had to go through to get the parts they needed. I remember that some cars had to be sent to Australia and then re-imported to ger round the restrictions prevalent then. They were certainly persistent.

Rod - I figured that that would be the case and probably not a lot of car rebuilding would have been achieved.

Mike
    There was a good article in the IPENZ (Institute of Professional Engineers) magazine a while ago regarding the Addias Charger. Will have a look in to see if I still have it and will post. Certainly a good worth while read.

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Graeme Addis contacted me and has asked me to add this-

Hello John,

I have read your post about the Algies and the origin of the Alfetta and I believe every word of this.

I know Canada well, having had family live there and enjoy a really switched on country.

My mind goes into overdrive imagining the trip across that country in a truck full of Algies.

How they did buy a truck in French speaking east Canada? The French language they would have used would diddle the smartest froggie speaking truck dealer into a deal he never intended to make!

As for the trip, even the bears would have been ‘tested’. This all so Algie, and is why I have always had an affection and admiration for them. Nothing stops an Algie.

Ian and I spent all lot of time together, at full noise, never traded paint, and I could trust him in to do the right thing always.

I remember chasing him through Dunlop at Puke, both of us doing it really strong. Suddenly the Alfetta erupted, bits of ‘ravioli castings’ were landing on my bonnet!
    I saw Ian reach up and snatch something out of the air inside his cockpit. Turned out it was the fire extinguisher that was mounted on the trans tunnel beside him.
    The torque tube assembly had croaked and got all cranky, throwing bits of Italian engineering in all directions. Only time I know that it had a mechanical failure ..a real credit to them.

B/rgds,

Graeme Addis.

John I would like you to include the above in a post you might next do on TRS. It will reinforce the wonder of those years.
    A number of years back i got on the phone wanting to buy this car, $15,000 was what they wanted for this car at that time.A story that went around when they raced this car at one meeting was that the v6 transaxle let go,so, as one of the boys had a pilot licence they flew back home to pick up a replacement for this car.

Quote Originally Posted by CUSTAXIE50 View Post
    A number of years back i got on the phone wanting to buy this car, $15,000 was what they wanted for this car at that time.A story that went around when they raced this car at one meeting was that the v6 transaxle let go,so, as one of the boys had a pilot licence they flew back home to pick up a replacement for this car.
    That was correct, it was gearbox/transaxle.

Quote Originally Posted by JAFA View Post
    Yes please!!! Any pics of your car would be appreciated too.

have some photos of Marina as in past and how Parksy found it. (soon to be changed back)

How we remember the old girl, she had some wheels when on tune.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

And on the day that Parksy was reunited with her. Be great to see this car out there again. Oh! and you Parksy
    Attached Images Attached Images     

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    The history of the Alfetta- as told to me by Barry Algie- goes back to the mid 70s. They had just rebuilt and sold a Jensen Interceptor and Ian with his share of the money wanted to build a wilder Sports Sedan than Barry.
    Barry had bought a HT Monaro from Ace Towing that had been stolen and torched.He already had the ZF transaxle from the Katipo MJ 70.
    Ian was in raptures with the Alfetta shape, most perfect aerodynamic and was rear transaxle also.
    There were no bodies available here, so where to get one?
    So the brothers went off to that well known centre of fashion to get the most fashionable body- Milan in Italy.
    At the factory there were bodies aplenty, but they were told to go to the Agent in Arezzo, a nearby district.
    There they bought the body for 2 million lire- NZ$2000.
    They had the body, and were directed to a wrecking yard(?) to get the rest of the parts to make up a car including the transaxle.
    All this they loaded into a crate and sent to Montreal in Canada.
    When they caught up with it, the crate had been opened and some stuff taken. Thats why the car had no door handles.
    Next stage was moving in from one side of Canada to Victoria on the other side.
    As finances were low, it was cheaper to buy an old truck, load it themselves and team drive non stop.
    Some amusing and nasty things happened on the way, but after 4 days they arrived and sent it to NZ.
    As it was not so easy importing in those days, he had had to buy an Alfa that was wrecked, show Customs that he was getting a replacement body even before they left.Proof was needed for importation.
    There was another trip to Milan, this time Auto Delta to get the flares, however they werent available to be sold.
    They contented themselves with looking through the windows to the workshop.
    Ian then made the flares to suit.
    The body is 1977, it arrived in 1978 and first ran in 1984.
    Barrys Monaro was started in 1975 and ran 1985.
    Alfetta still has the original V6 transaxle.

Missed this part. so will add-
    The original idea was to fit a Porsche 930 Turbo motor , but as time went by was now not available, so the next decision was what to put in an Alfetta body- simple Ian came rolled up and Barry was dummying a Chev up ............
    Seriously though, they were into Chevs, most F5000s were Chev ,light and transaxle .
    At about that time the Halliday Bros had a motor available- the ex Ken Smith Lola Chapparal 302 Chev V8.
    So that was purchased and went in to the car

The absolute uniqueness of the 2 Algie cars and Graeme Addis Charger are indeed testament to the enthusiasm people have to these Sports Sedans.

This thread welcomes any build stories, anecdotes on any of our Historic Sports Sedans, Allcomers and Oscas that we look forward to seeing on our tracks.
    Sorry John it the Alfetta ran a lot earlier than 84. Either 79 or 80.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    How we remember the old girl, she had some wheels when on tune.
    The car builders had a knack of producing some real horny looking cars. They looked fast standing still. That car will be a great addition to the HSS fields in the future.

As John is taking it on his shoulders to issue invitations, may I suggest that anyone interested - or who has any suggestions, passes them on? The term 'invitation' is not like waiting to see if you are invited to a party, but a case of the convenor accepting an application and then issuing an invitation if it ticks the appropriate boxes.

I'd hate to think that potentially, one of the best grids at the festival is short changed in any way because people were sitting on their hands, just waiting to be asked. John has contacted many drivers/owners but he can't be expected to know everyone. Well done John, for taking on the responsibility so willingly.

This has the potential to be the best festival since the opening McLaren event. What marks it out as a must see, is the opportunity to see cars we haven't seen on track before or in some cases, haven't seen for many years. Even if these cars only appear once a year, it stamps a unique look to the meeting and a photographer's dream.

If any cars are as yet unfinished, it might be good to see them displayed too.

Will just confirm Rays comments-

" a case of the convenor accepting an application and then issuing an invitation if it ticks the appropriate boxes."

I am the coordinator for this class, if you have a car that you want to have on this grid , and it meets the class requirements -Pre 85 Invited Allcomers and Historic Sports Sedans- and yes it includes Oscas- then please forward your details to me or Jim Barclay.

Picking up on the point from ERC, I personally love to see incomplete cars on display as it certainly stirs up interest for the future. Craig Stacey brought along the Nazer Victor and George the Sidchrome Mustang before they were complete and they both drew large numbers of fans just to drool over them and keep the faith for future meetings.

Anyone who has such a car would be welcomed with open arms by the organisers and public alike. Please give it some serious thought. But be on hand to answer the inevitable questions and information proffered by those who were there to see them first time round.

And all the best for the festive season and trust that 2014 will be a great one for you all.

Mike

Time for an update-
    Was talking to Adrian Dobbe today, his entry is in - those looking at the Baypark 1976 clip on another thread will see it there in yellow- could be the oldest Sports Sedan in the field.
    Doesnt that make you think, 37 years a race car - cant see conrods favourite ssssanyyongs lasting that long.
    Hats of to the constructor, and all the owners for it being around for so long.,and Vauxhall for producing a quality product.
    Talking about quality,Barry Algie swung by today with the fattest, slickest Hoooosiers still wrapped in plastic, just arrived from US of A.Usual thing, trying to get them cleared from Customs lost him a day.
    He was stroking them lovingly, and describing how these babies were going to put him so far ahead of everyone else on the grid ,even Tony Rutherford.
    He says the view of Roger and Graeme behind him at the start is better than the same view after the first corner. Should be no cobwebs to blow out, just slipping back behind the wheel- makes it sound so easy.
    He has had the radiator made, he made the aluminium moulds for the tanks himself and after leaving me was going to the heat treatment and give them the works for 4 hours then drop in cold water. Take home and weld to the radiator, then fit to car.
    Will be going to his place with video to show the car running.
    There is still some adjustment to the ducts, and finish off the front clip with fibreglass.
    But he is keen and excited and thats what gets people to the start line.

Rogered- would you please add a post here on your Torana, a lot of people probably dont know the history here, and would love some background before seeing it in action.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 12-20-2013 at 12:11 AM.

Thank God some people had the nous and foresight to purchase these cars and keep them for future generations (and some old codgers) to appreciate and see in action again. I think that cars restored to better than new condition and trailered everwhere are an absolute waste of great machinery.

There must still be dozens of these cars around so if you are lucky enough to own one and can't bring it along for us to drool over then at least come along yourself and see what is happening with the cars that are there. Talk to your old friends and foes to get yourself motivated to get your pride and joy running again.

Reading John's post above it seems that some of the old rivalry is still present and waiting for the starters flag. Just don't get too much red mist colouring your view of the track.

Mike
    Last edited by kiwi285; 12-20-2013 at 02:07 AM.