Thread: Vintage Kiwi Speed Equipment

Vintage Kiwi Speed Equipment

Outside of motor racing history, I also have an interest in hot rodding history. There was actually quite a close relationship between hot rodding and motor racing during the early years in the US, and early American motor racing, like hot rodding, grew from the massive availability/cheapness of old Model T Fords by the early 1920s. These made great starting points for both racers and hot rodders, and from this an aftermarket industry was created, designing, building and selling speed equipment for the Ford 4-banger.

The arrival of the first affordable production V8, made again by Ford and first released in 1932, soon saw the speed equipment industry switch to create parts for this motor. Companies that are now worldwide house-hold names, such as Edelbrock, Offenhauser, Cragar, Bell, etc, were all created out of the aftermarket industry for either the Ford flathead 4 or V8 motor.

In New Zealand, however, although there was an eager and enthusiastic market for American speed equipment, it was very hard to actually get. And so a small number of New Zealand racers actually went into production building their own speed equipment parts, mostly for the flathead V8 Ford motor, to supply the local NZ market.

Recently, I was travelling around New Zealand working on a book about hot rodders and their garages and car and automobilia collections, and while visiting a couple of different hot rodders, I found a couple of neat old 1950s examples of Kiwi speed equipment for the flathead V8. One of these was a Shuter Sports 2x2 inlet manifold, designed and built by Frank Shuter. The manifold itself bares quite a close resemblance to an Edelbrock manifold from the same era, so its possible Frank used one of these to help with the design.

Name:  IMG_8386.jpg
Views: 3031
Size:  127.4 KB

The other was a BCM 2x2 inlet manifold, made by Brian Mabey. I found this particular manifold to be quite interesting, as Brian was best known for building and racing cars powered by smaller British saloon motors than American V8s. I don't know how many of each of these manifolds were built, but needless to say, they are extremely rare.

Name:  IMG_8573.jpg
Views: 2955
Size:  118.6 KB

Anyway, just thought I'd share, I find them interesting.

Ron Hogan produced cylinder heads in Auckland, which were sold for both speedboats and cars. I believe some still exist.

Yeah, now yar talking Steve but not so much vintage kiwi here but of some interest i'd say. I luv all old Ford historic race car parts and have bought up on my trips to the USA over the years!! This is a very rare Shelby dual 4 barrel intake for a Boss 302 engine, brand new in the box. Bought it many years ago and is worth about $3500USD today, i've been told the box is almost worth more than the manifold!! and item like this will have no market here in NZ so one day back to the USA it will go, but not For Sale at the moment. Dale M
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Kiwiboss; 12-04-2013 at 08:34 AM.

That's cool Dale. The Chev cross ram I had with the Tulloch Camaro I sold back to the States a few years ago. $7000 US. There was no market here for it and Inky didn't want it with the car.
    Ron Hogan even made speed gear for his Lincoln Zephyr Coupe.

I also luv this one, the late Gary Rorison always said "if you find anything unique" arrr just buy it, for him i purchased these intake manifolds. The top one is a Shelby IDA Weber intake for a Boss 302 engine, the bottom one is a very rare Falconer and Dunn IDA Weber intake as on my Boss 302 race car, same as fitted to Allan Moffats Coke Mustang, im told only 30 ever F&D intakes were made for the Boss 302 engine. The Family still owns them and i have two, ones on my Mustang off-course Dale M
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Sheffield View Post
    Ron Hogan produced cylinder heads in Auckland, which were sold for both speedboats and cars. I believe some still exist.
    Garth Hogan runs some of the heads made up with no water jackets on his Bonneville salt car.

Berry and Chung (B&C) produced lots of performance inlet manifolds and a few sets of these front wheels. They are very rare now days.

I had a friend in Wellington back in the mid sixties who had a triple carb set up on a flat head V8. He used a manifold adapted from a standard one using some kind of fancy fibre glass or plastic stuff. The biggest thing was the front and rear carbs were there for show only and the engine ran on the centre carb. It had all the linkages and fuel lines etc and looked very impressive.

PDL Racing had, I am told, 6 manifolds cast by Hamilton Jet to suit 4x Weber IDA carbs for the Ford 351C.
    I am not sure if any were used?
    A story I was told was that PDL were going to sell them to Falconer and Dunn, but they were rejected because they were too heavy!
    Anybody know more about this?

Excellent stuff guys - keep it coming

Steve, as the owner these last 40 yrs of the only surviving BCM single seaters can you put me in touch with the owner of the BCM V8 manifold so I can add it to the history. The ali cast insignia's on the race car are exactly the same. thanks....Chris Read-Arrowtown.