Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: NZeder's Datsun 260z Build Thread

ERC, your "quote" is somewhat out. 15k pounds all done. Still seems a hell of a lot to me, but they are well sorted ready to run cars so....

Thanks Rhys. I knew the figure was high but my brain/memory is somewhat warped through the extensive travel and different time zones and currencies! I can't really see them getting a full grid, though the original UK pre 1957 Saloon series had some (limited modifications) A35s giving the Mk 1 Jags and Mk 2 Zephyrs a good run for their money. Much of that was due to handling packages.

Yes Ray you are right. Fun is what I want. I know I will never win, but having fun is me all the way. Why I have supported your series is the mix of makes and models, I love to see that. The handicap makes for great to watch motorsport and most of all the driving standard is a key focus plus all the competitors always have big smiles and all get a long with each other.

I don't see the need for yet another grid also....I will not make ice breaker as a competitor but will be supporting the erc cars/grid as I have done for the last 10 years.

My car is close but still in stored away from me but I will have the shed rearranged by next week so both my zeds will be here at home = will be easier to complete the track car.
    Last edited by nzeder; 08-28-2014 at 09:15 AM.
    Mike L

Long time no update.

Well things have moved on some since my last update.

1. I now have both 260z 2 seaters in the shed at home.

2. The fully caged car has been completely rewired by me, still have some minor wiring to complete (gauges, and coil loom and wipers outstanding)

3. With the restructuring at my last place of employment I have been busy looking for new employment. Shortage of IT staff in NZ....yeah right if you are a programmer maybe but I know of 4 others with similar skills as I and we all have been looking for roles for 3-4 months.

With #3 above in mind this has made me take a step back and rethink racing a Datsun for the following reasons.

1. Panel parts are either NLA (no longer available) or just too expensive to obtain.
    2. Mechanical parts are now becoming the same ie rear stub axles are hard to find and even though aftermarket items can be purchased (stronger than originals as they are 4340 then heat treated after the machining process) but a pair will set you back $1000NZD before shipping and customs take their cut.

I guess that is whay racing a classic is about but with my current income status I have decided once I complete the fully caged car I will put it on the market. So one 100% T&C compliant Datsun 260z (and that is 100% not partly using 5speed in car that never came out with one etc) will be available for purchase with a ton of spares or not depending on negotiations and price.

However I still want to race so I have purchased a Saloon not a GT like the Datsun Z car (not a sports car as there was never an open top model. Definition of a sports car = open top 2 seater and the hard top based on the same model).

This Saloon car still has panel and mechanical parts available new today and at much better price point than a Datsun Z car.

Anyway the saloon car project will not start until the 260z has moved on. Having said that here is some details on the saloon.

Garaged all its life it was NZ in March 1972 it has not been used on the road since 2004 and has been in storage since with the rego on hold. Only has minor rust in the front floor (common issue for these make/models) and a split in the battery box in the boot. It is white in colour with red interior (typlical 70's styling).

More later once I collect the car from down line later this week 15 hour road trip coming.

Cheers
    Mike L

Good luck Mike! Look forward to the 'other' car. We could do with a few more of those and as you say, bits are readily available.

Being a purist often means having deep pockets. One of the reasons I am a pragmatist. It is cheaper.

Like you, work opportunities have evaporated over the last three years as just about everyone I have dealt with over the last 25 years has either given up altogether or now imports from China. It isn't just the shop floor jobs that get exported, it is the support infrastructure that also goes.

Look forward to learning more about your new project Mike! I completely understand your reasons for stepping away from the Z build. Even if well financed, it can get a bit scary once you start racing a car in which parts are scarce and expensive.