Thread: NZeder's Datsun 260z Build Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Another pic of the ducted front on a racecar with ZG over fenders fitted.
    Name:  240z-ducted-zgflares.jpg
Views: 2846
Size:  137.0 KB

So what are the general con censors on this forum? I am leaning towards the ducted as that is what most race teams in the USA used + that allows me to run ducts to the brakes which aid in cooling period brakes which I will be running. Who is with me Option 4 (there are 2 version of this option the ones posted and later version for the USA Spec 280z which is more curved)

Reason I have posted these options up as I have one of each of these spoilers. I have not included other IMSA type or the number of ZG types that were used in period as there are just so many different looks - even the Macau 240z that had a very odd custom front end used back in the day.
    Last edited by nzeder; 03-31-2014 at 10:09 AM.
    Mike L

Quote Originally Posted by nzeder View Post
    Another pic of the ducted front on a racecar with ZG over fenders fitted.
    Name:  240z-ducted-zgflares.jpg
Views: 2846
Size:  137.0 KB

So what are the general con censors on this forum? I am leaning towards the ducted as that is what most race teams in the USA used + that allows me to run ducts to the brakes which aid in cooling period brakes which I will be running. Who is with me Option 4 (there are 2 version of this option the ones posted and later version for the USA Spec 280z which is more curved)

Reason I have posted these options up as I have one of each of these spoilers. I have not included other IMSA type or the number of ZG types that were used in period as there are just so many different looks - even the Macau 240z that had a very odd custom front end used back in the day.
    Brilliant thread Mike, I'm really enjoying this.

This would be my choice for the front spoiler. Its period correct, as you say, and looks fantastic on the Z. One of the nicest aspects of these cars, in my opinion, is the nose, and this spoiler compliments the nose really well, and doesn't detract from all the nice shapes and curves.

Journeyman Racer
    "Yes Nzeder, great job you’re doing and very informative and I admit my knowledge of 240’s is very limited hence great to have you on here!!

Personally I have no issue’s racing with Rickys Z and would race side by side with him any day of the week, he is one of the cleanest and smoothest drivers I know, but I keep getting question "only" about his frontal panel/spoiler work and no rear bumpers but I don’t know the answer, when I read T&C as attached below I get it as “original materials as per STANDARD SERIES PRODUCTION VEHICLE” and then this gets over ridden with “Period modifications are permissible”

3:2 Exterior The vehicle shall be smartly maintained and have all exterior trim in place. It must retain bumpers if originally fitted. All panels,bumpers, mouldings, spoilers etc. must be made of the original materials as per the STANDARD series Production vehicle. eg; steel panels must be retained if originally fitted. Period modifications are permissible.
    (1) Only rear wings (aerofoil) which were available for the car in period may be fitted. These must be
    made of materials from that period. ie; no Kevlar.
    (2) Any/all modifications must be in period (refer definitions).

But when I read what “Period” means it states when “first used actively in Motorsport Competition in New Zealand, or a minimum of three(3) separate overseas examples” so with that being the case does Rickys Z fit these descriptions hence making it correct as it currently sits? your help and thoughts appreciated Nzeder!!

“Period” means the era (years) during which a vehicle model and/or its components were first used actively in Motorsport Competition in New Zealand, or a minimum of three(3) separate overseas examples, and

Dale M "

Hi Dale
    The Thoroughbred and Classic regulations were never meant to be applied to racing car modifications, but over 40 years the thinking has changed. It was originally meant to apply to, say a set of Weber carbs on a car (much like your Mustang), or flared guards, twin SU's on a Viva etc. Modifications that would still allow the car to be driven on the road and get a WOF.

However, people have pushed the boundaries to build look-a-likes of their favourite race cars, such as MG Le Mans Midget, SCCA Alfa Romeo Spider, Datsun 240Z etc. The problem is that this invariably takes the cars outside T&C regulations compliance. Ideally these cars should be Sch K compliant, but they are never exact replica's, as is necessary for Sch K compliance, so they fall into no mans land.

I believe the Commission needs to define "Period Modification" so that it reflects the original intent of allowing for "road modification", rather than allowing the replication of a race car(3) that competed overseas in the period. If the intent of T&C can be regulated, then I believe we have a way forward. Tony R