Thread: NZeder's Datsun 260z Build Thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    During my research I found that Nissan had 4 pot calipers approved/homologated both front and rear with vented rotors front and rear. They also had approved/homologated solid rotors on the rear, drums on the rear, solid rotors on the front. It appeared that all combinations of these was used in period depending on the class or teams or budgets.

Nissan had 4 different brake packages available to customers in the USA - here are number of combinations used in period
    1. The standard 2 pot Sumitomo calipers on non vented rotors up front and finned drums in the rear
    2. 4 pot Sumitomo calipers up front in either vented or non vented setup, sliding caliper with solid rotor on the rear
    3. 4 pot Sumitomo calipers up front and in the rear with vented rotors front and vented or solid rotors rear.
    4. Lockheed 4 pots on vented rotors up front and Lockheed 2 pots on the rear with vented rotors
    5. AirHeart/Hurst 4pots on vented rotors up front and AirHeart/Hurst 2 pots on the rear with vented rotors.

The 4 pots sumitomo calipers were listed on the sports option list which could be ordered with the car or after the car from the dealer network world wide - along with the LY cross flow head, triple mikuni carbs, extractors, larger/wider rims, race seat, LSD diffs, close ratio gear sets, suspension upgrades for circuit or rally, rally lights, electronic ignition, CDI ignition, rally clocks, bolt in cage, steering wheel, engine internal upgrades the list was very extensive. All these parts OEM from the factory.

Research showed 15" were used in period - this was determined via the brake rotor sizes that were offered. Given T&C rules allows for 1" over the factory spec rim which was 14" 15" rims is what the car was going to run and as luck had it the car was already fitted with 15x8" rims

The car was fitted with 12.2" Wilwood rotors and 4pot Wilwood calipers up front and 12.2" solid Wilwoods with 4 pots Wilwoods on the rear- these could have stayed on the car and would have saved me some $$ and time - but I decided to change them for a number of reasons.
    Last edited by nzeder; 12-05-2013 at 12:11 PM.