Thread: NZeder's Datsun 260z Build Thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    So long time no post or work on the car kids little time vampires

Anyway it is now decision time - front spoilers. The zed cars had 4 options in period depending on market and customer requests. Well there were other options like the ZG nose and the 3 different type of fender flares from factory ZG fender flares, type A works fender flares and the super large works type B fender flares (like those used on the Le Mans enter zeds)

Option 1 = no front spoiler
    Option 2 = UK, EU and NZ factory/dealer delivered/option Urethane front spoiler (super rare and most are damaged)
    Option 3 = USA/CANADA factory/dealer delivered/option non ducted front spoiler
    Option 4 = USA/CANADA factory/dealer delivered/option ducted front spoiler

As I have decided to go Schedule K with my application once the car is complete - then all of the above options are open to me. If I go T&C then no front spoiler is allowed (however I see many cars in that claim to be T&C compliant have front spoilers including HMC) this is from 3.2 (1) which stated only rear wings that were available in period can be fitted.

Under T&C must be of the original materials etc - the factory fitted Urethane front spoilers have an issue that their mounting brackets tend to rust off/out of the Urethane. I have managed to locate one of these spoilers but like most it has seen better days now they are some 40+ years old. I see CAMS in AU due to this reason they allow replica version of these to installed as does the FIA - so I assume MSNZ/HRC too will allow Fiber Glass replica. I have seen FIA HTP 240z for sale with option 4 fitted.

As I am 99% sure I will go down the Schedule K path so that means any period spoiler can be used so what say you??

Sample Image time.
    First up the Urethane item - my old 240z NZ new
    Name:  myold240z.jpg
Views: 2151
Size:  66.0 KB
    UK Press picture from back in the day
    Name:  factoryspoiler#1.jpg
Views: 4723
Size:  22.4 KB
    Datsun 260z in a museum in Germany
    Name:  factoryspoiler#2.jpg
Views: 2076
Size:  142.0 KB

Now the non ducted USA/CANADA option
    Name:  240z-spook-front-air-dam-no-ducts1.jpg
Views: 3017
Size:  120.2 KB

And now the ducted USA/CANADA option (as used by BRE race car and others)
    Name:  bre240z#1.jpg
Views: 1967
Size:  120.4 KB
    Period race team pic as completed in an event - notice no bumpers fitted, usually only the front bumper was fitted during transportation and photos pre event.
    Name:  bre240z#2.jpg
Views: 2147
Size:  44.9 KB
    Last edited by nzeder; 03-31-2014 at 10:11 AM.
    Mike L