Thread: Mid- 80's Auckland based Rally / Hillclimb photo's

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Journeyman Racer
    Here's a series of photo's of the aftermath of Possum going off at McLaughlan Road , Kaukapakapa in '86

Possum had Snow Mooney with him as passenger when they shot off the road on a high speed downhill sweeping left at the HCMC Rallysprint.
    Paul Adams and Jim Scott were sharing the car that day with Possum ( I think it was Paul's first drive in a 4WD car ? )
    Only a handful of us saw the crash. The car was so quiet that you couldn't hear it coming and as it somersaulted into view - I was dangling my camera down by my side. Dammit
    Myself and fellow HCMC driver Brian Chadwick got to the car in seconds as Possum and Snow were climbing out the windscreen.
    Snow had a hand injury from ( I think ) grabbing the rollcage above his head and having it crush his hand in the process.
    The car was totalled - it couldn't even really be towed off the paddock because all wheels were pointing in different directions
    The alloy cage above Snow's head shattered on impact ( the MANZ steward had a good , long look at that ).
    I have a feeling the rules about alloy cages in N.Z were changed not long after.
    Sure was the fastest crash I've ever seen and we were glad they weren't too badly hurt.
    The crash really set back Possum's lead up to the International rally a mere month or two away
    There is now a house and garage built on the spot they came to rest.
    Name:  Possum's point of lift off '86.jpg
Views: 1735
Size:  58.9 KBName:  Possum off in 86 1.jpg
Views: 1782
Size:  66.4 KBName:  Possum off in 86  2.jpg
Views: 1785
Size:  59.0 KBName:  Possum cage shattered 2.jpg
Views: 1793
Size:  47.3 KBName:  Poss, Jim scott & MANZ steward.jpg
Views: 1750
Size:  40.2 KBName:  Possum cage shattered 1.jpg
Views: 1768
Size:  47.7 KB
    Last edited by Jeff; 12-09-2013 at 08:54 AM.