Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Circuit Cars racing on the Quarter Mile

Circuit Cars racing on the Quarter Mile

Have started this thread as there were many times in the early days when circuit drivers would take there cars to the dragstrips arround the country.I have found a few pics will post some now and more later.Anyone alse have any please post.The earlyist i have found is 1971 drag racing at Wiri,photos by Allan Porter NZ Hot Rod Magazine.

Journeyman Racer
    Photos taken at a standing quarter held by Eastern Southland Car Club in 1973. River Street, Gore. Not much in the way of OSH rules and regs - don't recall anyone being run over!!!!!!!!!! 2 photos of Stewart Quertier in the Stuart Ford V8. Others I don't know, perhaps Stewart or JacMac could hep. Have others from this event but they are just locals having a go - not what the subjects about.Name:  Stuart Ford V8 (Quertier) b.jpg
Views: 2183
Size:  157.7 KBName:  Stuart Ford V8 (Quertier).jpg
Views: 2083
Size:  147.9 KBName:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 2095
Size:  152.3 KBName:  Untitled-2.jpg
Views: 2055
Size:  159.1 KBName:  Untitled-3.jpg
Views: 1930
Size:  157.4 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Yellow #25 is Elin Mini sports, was owned by Ortons from Clinton & Alec McClennan Riversdale- 1275 Mini Cooper power ( Car was designed /built in Dunedin, cant remember guys name, but he built several cars), Viva is David Brown- 3liter Ford V6 with Lucas injection. Motoring Center Mini might have been Athol Warnock, not sure on that though. Sprint was 400 meters IIRC, looks like that one was a saturday morning event, we also held it on a midweek day during festival week from 5pm onward.
    Last edited by Jac Mac; 04-20-2013 at 03:24 AM.

Jac Mac, Yellow #25 was built by Wop Amos. Stated building them in Otematata while with the NZED. Later shifted to Ocean View near Dunedin.

Was there that day when Jim ran the Monaro, was good to watch, as at the end there was a sweeping right hander and all the others were hard on brakes but Jim just kept it up and majic power slides.

Also Tony Rutherford held that record a number of years, and also won a good bet with Mr Hot Rod mag Rob Campbell that day.
    Maybe Tony will extend on that.

Good stuff guys,awesome pics Southspeed osh would go nuts with all those kids that close today,you could feel the racing back then. . . .Tony Rutherford had one quick little Mazda 11.9 at 122mph awesome

Weekend Warrior
    Stuart Ford V8 managed a 13.92 that day.
    Must of been just after the beach racing in Nelson as the extra large "beach proof" roll bar is still fitted.
    Rear tyres were the fronts off Graham McRae's Crown Lynn McLaren.
    Dad bought them off George Begg for $30 and he still has them.

I have seen a photo of the Heron Daimler V8 winning the port road 1/8 mile drags in wellington. some time in the 70's I think

Journeyman Racer
    Just a follow up to post no 3 above - for those "older" members of ESCC the rest of the photos are posted on the net at the link http://www.flickr.com/photos/southsp...th/7422905046/ After a phone call from Stewart Quertier last evening he has assisted with naming some of the photos and also included some of the times recorded. There is even a photo of JacMac.

Two photos from Ardmore drags featured in NZ Hot Rod Magazine June 72 photos by Allan Porter,sorry no times with these photos.A great photo of Allan Boyle in Viva and the neat Sidchrome Imp.Name:  Boyle Viva with Roadster.jpg
Views: 1951
Size:  96.8 KBName:  Sidchrome Imp.jpg
Views: 1992
Size:  127.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Was there that day when Jim ran the Monaro, was good to watch, as at the end there was a sweeping right hander and all the others were hard on brakes but Jim just kept it up and majic power slides.

Also Tony Rutherford held that record a number of years, and also won a good bet with Mr Hot Rod mag Rob Campbell that day.
    Maybe Tony will extend on that.
    Well I never knew about the photo in NZ Hot Rod Magazine until now. (thanks Paul) In fact I have a full collection of these magazines from the very first one right up to the 90's so I must have that one! Yeah Rod I managed to hold that record for fifteen years and it did make me wonder what I could have gotten the times down to if I had not used my old used up circuit slicks. I recall at the end of the Dragstrip there half a dozen guys down there who's job it was to retrieve the chutes of the top fuel dragsters. Well after each run I came back along the return road which ran parallel to the strip. These guys were so excited and going totally nuts because I would see how high I could get the right front wheel in the air as I did a u turn onto the return road.. The car is currently being restored back to how I had it in Brisbane and Scott (new owner) is coming back to reside in Gisborne soon and will bring the car back. .....
    Rod....you have me wondering whether I did pick up my "winnings" from my dear friend Rob Campbell. Thanks guys and kind regards, Tony R.

Tony, Let me know if you don't have a copy. I'll stick it in the post....

Ruapuna 1972

A photo here of Ron Sylvester in the Chev Coupe at Ruapuna Drags,not sure who the photographer is June 72 NZ Hot Rod Mag.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Two photos here of Brent Thorpe in his Chevy powered MK3 Zephyr.Both photos taken by Richard Neale first photo from Sept 72 NZ Hot Rod Mag second Dec 72.Name:  Brent Thorpe MK3 Zephyr.jpg
Views: 2337
Size:  130.4 KBName:  Brent Thorpe Zephyr.jpg
Views: 1903
Size:  111.2 KB

That is one mean looking MK111, what ever happened to it. Did he use it in OSCA. 327 good conversion for these cars along with 289

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    That is one mean looking MK111, what ever happened to it. Did he use it in OSCA. 327 good conversion for these cars along with 289
    Dont know anything about this car,it does have that OSCA look about it,can anyone else add any info