Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TRS quiz

It was Hanuman, distinguishable by the front shocks which are "De Rams" although now I may wish to re-think as Bill Morris was also looking after Romulus. More research needed!
    Done the research, R12B and had the de rams off R2b
    Last edited by Oldfart; 12-28-2013 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwaussie View Post
    ^^^^
    Maybe it was the Hon. Patrick Lindsay's Remus at Rouen 1964
    Patrick asked me to post this image here:

Name:  Photo 1.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  64.7 KB

As D Mc has already posted in 2012.
    "R2B was retained for many years by Prince Chula Chakrabongse, grandson of King Chulalongkorn (of King and I fame) and cousin of Prince Birabongse Bhanudej Bhanubandh, and after Chula's death by other members of his family. It returned to the circuits in 1976 owned by his daughter, Narisa Chakrabongse, but usually driven by Bill Morris. Narisa Levy (as she was by then) still owned it in 2006, but it is now with Greg Whitten in the US of A

The original 'Hanuman' was R12C, wrecked in 1939. It was rebuilt the same year as R12B, raced by Bira in the '40s and by Bill Morris from 1962-98, then Tony Stephens, who continued to drive it for its new owner into this century. It is now owned by Phra Bat Somdet Phra Poramintharamaha Bhumibol Adulyadej Mahitalathibet Ramathibodi Chakkrinaruebodin Sayamminthrathirat Borommanatbophit, otherwise known as King Bhumipol of Thailand

In the 1970s Morris reconstructed R12C on its original chassis, an.d raced it through the 1980s, then passing the driving chores to Tony Stephens through the 1990s. It has been owned for the past few years by Terry Crabb."

.......When Bill had Hanuman 11 out in NZ he used my Dunedin workshop to do some servicing and change the diff. I noticed quite a bit if lightening work on the chassis. Changing the diff was a major dismantle. We raced together in historics that season and had some real ding dongs especially on the Dunedin circuit....lot of fun..... Sadly it came to an end at Wigram with James Clark's accident.
    I had a drive of Hanuman round the streets in Dunedin after the 'service' and quite a lot happening to drive an ERA. Still, I had a drive of one of the defining cars in motor sport history so how about that!!!! Bill drove the BCM....I said how about a swap...he said he would let me know tomorrow....never did and all to late now. Chris Read - Arrowtown.

I have the ERA book special edition and refer to it often. It sits long side my die cast model of Remus on my bookcase.

Now there is a new thread......the best motor racing bookcases in NZ...photos please?

I've seen a collection with over 2000 books - that excludes magazines that are all catalogued - not like my 'scattergun' approach.

The ERA facebook site is a mine of information, and the personal contacts I have established through it have been rather interesting.
    As we all know the sorting of car histories can lead down some "interesting" paths, and often need to be very carefully re-visited as even the best of memories can be faulty. Not saying that is the case here, but it never hurts to remember that because sometimes what is written in books becomes the future "facts" even when it is a little erroneous.

Started a new thread for the books...