Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Motoring Books - including your bookshelf.

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    In all my years on this earth, the only unfathomable book I came across was- Aristotles Metaphysics with Analysis..
    Recently I have been given a book that equals it...Weber Carburettors by John Pissini.
    A challenging book and all I can say is just pay someone to make your Webers perform better.
    Life is too short to get into this book from 1968,- V8s didnt exist then apparently- unless you are into Anglias, Healeys and Italian cars
    Is that why Murray can charge so much? He is a wizard with the Webers though.The book was written for Poms!I have copies of both the basic and next more complex, anybody need them?

I'd fancy one of those. You have a message Oldfart

Motoring Books - not quite - Castrol Motorsport Cars Card series

A card on the Austin Healey 100S was posted on a Fb page " Austin Healey 100S " some time ago by Paul O'Neill - Paul has the whole set of 24 cards which he recently got out and photographed;

Here is the entire set - the AH 100S was number 19.
    Must have been a 1950's set ;

Name:  Motor Racing UK #1 Card collection set of 6 1 Paul O'Neill .jpg
Views: 4292
Size:  88.7 KB

Name:  Motor Racing UK #2 Card collection set of 6 2 Paul O'Neill .jpg
Views: 3584
Size:  94.8 KB

Name:  Motor Racing UK #3 Card collection set of 6 3 Paul O'Neill .jpg
Views: 3239
Size:  99.5 KB

Name:  Motor Racing UK #4 Card collection set of 6 4 Paul O'Neill .jpg
Views: 3151
Size:  95.8 KB

Close up of the Austin Healey and the details on the back.

Name:  Motor Racing UK #5 Card collection set Austin Healey fr Paul O'Neill .jpg
Views: 3422
Size:  71.0 KB

Name:  Motor Racing UK #6 Card collection set Austin Healey rr Paul O'Neill .jpg
Views: 2694
Size:  58.0 KB

Many of the cars pictured were seen in New Zealand in the 1950's / 60's ..

I remember and collected those Castrol Motorsport Year Booklets back in the 1960's - sadly all gone - with the number of house moves over the years [ around 12 ] and the " giving away " of a lot of stuff, I now have only two big boxes of books brochures etc, about 4 boxes of photo's 10 large boxes of Scale Models not forgetting the Seven Boxes of Magazines that I rescued for seaqnmac from his Uncle.
    They need to be sorted mainly Classic and Sports car Vols 1 to 22 in 6 boxes and another box of a UK newspaper style motoring publication from the 1970's.
    However as " ERC " and others have mentioned on TRS and elsewhere - you collect it, and no one else in the family is really interested where does it all go !! when you Go >> ..
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 06-10-2019 at 04:30 AM.

[QUOTE=Roger Dowding;
    However as " ERC " and others have mentioned on TRS and elsewhere - you collect it, and no one else in the family is really interested where does it all go !! when you Go >> ..[/QUOTE]

This applies to all the stuff collected by the late Ralph Watson, as I have previously mentioned without receiving any response. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Sheffield View Post
    This applies to all the stuff collected by the late Ralph Watson, as I have previously mentioned without receiving any response. :-(
    Trevor yes, It is hard to deal with - Ralph would have some fascinating things I am sure - photos etc are easy can be scanned, but other things take space and as we get older we downsize -
    My own experience - 1994 - 25 years ago owned a large house with double garage a carport and had 3 to 4 cars at any one time.
    The garage held a lot of tools and car spares,books magazines and other stuff - out of the way of family.
    Now small house, single garage, two cars, one of which lives 200km away in Auckland and gets used every couple of months.

I daren't take on any more " stuff " really but do get the odd item - have to deal with all those boxes soon !!

** and today indicated would take some NZ Classic Car mags -
    see how it goes !! storage is the issue for most of us !!
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 09-04-2019 at 10:47 PM. Reason: ** more stuff ###47

Love the cards Roger.
    Fantastic to see, thanks for posting them up.

It is a shame with a lot of the collections needing to be re homed, I usually collect by sight and it is hard sometimes to do this unseen.
    And then there is the space issue, as Roger has said. I am also mindful of this. Don't have and answer for this sadly.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Paul B; 06-11-2019 at 09:24 AM.

Motoring Books - on the Shelves ..

The Motoring Books -

The Austin Healey and BMC books

Name:  Motoring Books #195 The AH and BMC book R Dowding .jpg
Views: 884
Size:  131.5 KB

The Moss [ a borrow ] Brooklands, Le Mans series and the US collection
    In the cardboard cartons are the Vintage Motorsport collection " The Specials " and the big one is the Corvette Book by Dick Guldstrand - self published and marketed - mine I got around 2003 and it arrived in a US Postal Service Mail Sack with a lock on it - I wrote back and said did they want and was " keep it '.

Name:  Motoring Books #196 Moss, Le Mans and US colln R Dowding .jpg
Views: 1065
Size:  130.1 KB

and the New Zealand collection - two of which I contributed to, too !!

Name:  Motoring Books #197 the New Zealand colln R Dowding .jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  138.0 KB

Many that I like, so no favourites really.
    Hope you don't get a crick in your neck reading the titles

Missing is the Trevor Sheffield - self published " Ralph Watson - Special Engineer " as I am reading it at the moment.

Name:  Motoring Books #190 Ralph Watson SpecialEngineer Trevor Sheffield book .jpg
Views: 2680
Size:  66.4 KB

Hopefully there is a gap for it !!

Is anyone interested in accepting a gift of most NZ Classic Car, magazines from the early days up to about three years ago when I stopped buying it?

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Is anyone interested in accepting a gift of most NZ Classic Car, magazines from the early days up to about three years ago when I stopped buying it?
    Ray yes I would - can collect when next in Auckland - have kept a few but mainly recent ones [ with all my house shifts " Her Indoors " wanted them gone.. Cheers

Roger

Thanks Roger. We are away Dec 11th to 27th, but any time is OK. My wife will be SO impressed... Now I have to address the rest of the stacks. Most are worth selling - or donating to a worthy cause if unsold. Chaindrive may be interested in some old model car magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Thanks Roger. We are away Dec 11th to 27th, but any time is OK. My wife will be SO impressed... Now I have to address the rest of the stacks. Most are worth selling - or donating to a worthy cause if unsold. Chaindrive may be interested in some old model car magazines.
    Doing the maths guess it is around 300 magazines all up that's quite a few boxes !!.
    Will keep in touch,
    Cheers

Roger

"Alf Francis - Racing Mechanic".

I have a my own copy of the 'Motoring Book Club' edition, but found a hard copy of the original in one of the local charity shops yesterday. No dust jacket, a little faded, but otherwise OK. I'd already bought three books and with a kilo of monk fish and a 1.5km walk home ahead, no shopping bag, didn't want to carry any more.

A great book as I remember, when race mechanics had it really tough.

If anyone is interested ($7), I'll grab it - but be quick.

If still available, I'd be interested. I'll pay the shipping to France.
    I never find this kind of gems in charity stores in France!

OK Remi. Got it for you! Email me your address and I'll also put the Ginetta pics onto a memory card for you. Can't do anything much for a week until I get the PC returned. If there are any other makes/models you are interested in, just let me know. Will be easy enough to stick them on.

NZ Classic Driver issue # 86 Oct- Dec 2019

NZ Classic Driver due out in Late September - early October will be the first of the quarterly editions as compared to bi-monthly until now.

In the Issue will be the story of the Telecom Classic Motorfest events of 1993 and 1994 - The article has been written by Laurie Brenssell - who was the Chairman of the organising committee.

Covers from the 1993 and 1994 Programmes; Images from Laurie's archives - I have other copies of both, one from Remi who owns the Tony Herbert Ginetta that raced there in 1994

Name:  Telecom Motorfest 1994 #4 Hamilton   Programme 1993 L Brenssell CCI08092015 (2).jpg
Views: 1216
Size:  88.6 KB

Name:  Telecom Motorfest 1994 #3 Hamilton  Programme L Brenssell CCI08092015 (2).jpg
Views: 780
Size:  68.2 KB

" POWER and the GLORY " indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    NZ Classic Driver due out in Late September - early October will be the first of the quarterly editions as compared to bi-monthly until now.

In the Issue will be the story of the Telecom Classic Motorfest events of 1993 and 1994 - The article has been written by Laurie Brenssell - who was the Chairman of the organising committee.

Covers from the 1993 and 1994 Programmes; Images from Laurie's archives - I have other copies of both, one from Remi who owns the Tony Herbert Ginetta that raced there in 1994

Name:  Telecom Motorfest 1994 #4 Hamilton   Programme 1993 L Brenssell CCI08092015 (2).jpg
Views: 1216
Size:  88.6 KB

Name:  Telecom Motorfest 1994 #3 Hamilton  Programme L Brenssell CCI08092015 (2).jpg
Views: 780
Size:  68.2 KB

" POWER and the GLORY " indeed.
    I knew this ran one year, but not two. Was the circuit the same both years and did they run bikes both years please?

Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    I knew this ran one year, but not two. Was the circuit the same both years and did they run bikes both years please?
    Circuit the same - and cars only Mate, the full entry lists on the " Telecom Classic " thread - the V8's used a lot of the Circuit.. will find a Map - now a " Lost Track " too ..

Name:  Telecom Motorfest 1994 #101 Programme 3 - Track Map Remi Rutkowski .jpg
Views: 662
Size:  116.5 KB

According to the programmes:

In 1993 there were two 5-lap Motorcycle Demonstrations.

Name:  img836 (2).jpg
Views: 451
Size:  157.8 KB

In 1994 the was a race on Saturday and two races on Sunday.

Name:  img835 (2).jpg
Views: 494
Size:  169.4 KB
    Last edited by Milan Fistonic; 03-19-2020 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post

According to the programmes:

In 1993 there were two 5-lap Motorcycle Demonstrations.

Name:  img836 (2).jpg
Views: 451
Size:  157.8 KB

In 1994 the was a race on Saturday and two races on Sunday.

Name:  img835 (2).jpg
Views: 494
Size:  169.4 KB
    My oops again Milan, I do not remember the Motorcycles - should read my own archives !!

The local Vintage Car Club has been purging the pile of books in its library, they have an abundance and I picked up this one: