Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Motoring Books - including your bookshelf.

Good score Ray Bell - cheers

An interesting read, too...

I have started on a bit of a clear out.

This set of books really is excellent.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...?id=2586380058

Check out my other listings for 3 Bburago model kits.

" On Track a History of Motor racing at Pukekohe " - Rhys Jones

With " jellywrestler " posting / enquiring about Waiheke on Lost Tracks and the story / history of the New Zealand Tourist Trophy races,

Raced at Waiheke 1931 - 1950, moved to Seagrove, Manukau, then to Mangere [ where ? ] Ardmore in 1962 and eventually to Pukekohe in 1963.

Made me get out the Rhys Jones book - for some information - so now having a a full re-read.
    published in 2008 by Phantom House - a Wellington Publishers..
    Rhys being a Motorcycle Guy focuses a lot on the " Marlboro Series " but covers Saloons, the GroupA B and H and also Formula 5000 at one stage the Grand Prix category.

Name:  Motoring Books #381 Pukekohe On Track front 2020_03_27_1403 (552x800) (2).jpg
Views: 733
Size:  145.9 KB

Name:  Motoring Books #382 Pukekohe On Track back 2020_03_27_1404 (547x800) (2).jpg
Views: 803
Size:  110.1 KB

Rhys writes

" ... the motorcycle fraternity, and their premier event the New Zealand T.T ( Tourist Trophy ) so named in deference to the Isle of Man T.T - were on course for the same destination [ Pukekohe ] " Italics mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    With " jellywrestler " posting / enquiring about Waiheke on Lost Tracks and the story / history of the New Zealand Tourist Trophy races,

Raced at Waiheke 1931 - 1950, moved to Seagrove, Manukau, then to Mangere [ where ? ] Ardmore in 1962 and eventually to Pukekohe in 1963.

Made me get out the Rhys Jones book - for some information - so now having a a full re-read.
    published in 2008 by Phantom House - a Wellington Publishers..
    Rhys being a Motorcycle Guy focuses a lot on the " Marlboro Series " but covers Saloons, the GroupA B and H and also Formula 5000 at one stage the Grand Prix category.

Name:  Motoring Books #381 Pukekohe On Track front 2020_03_27_1403 (552x800) (2).jpg
Views: 733
Size:  145.9 KB

Name:  Motoring Books #382 Pukekohe On Track back 2020_03_27_1404 (547x800) (2).jpg
Views: 803
Size:  110.1 KB

Rhys writes

" ... the motorcycle fraternity, and their premier event the New Zealand T.T ( Tourist Trophy ) so named in deference to the Isle of Man T.T - were on course for the same destination [ Pukekohe ] " Italics mine.
    dunno where the manukau came from, it went from seagrove to mangere, Ihumatoa area, tried to do a lap when in auckland last year and it was barricaded off, stopped just for a look and had my notes out and a large unfriendly person told me to eff off, when i said i was just looking at an old motorcycle race track he went to the next level telling me 'you journalists' i'm not a journalist, just a hobby writing, his poor daughter was in the car trying to get her dad to see sense, i was out of there as soon as i could....

jellywrestler bloody comma should have read " Seagrove Manukau, Mangere " ..
    [ lots of people don't know where it ( Seagrove ) was ].
    My oops..
    Your further comment tried to do a lap ..etc .. pity the Mangere Natives are so restless ..

It's not that long ago that you could see the shape of Seagrove from the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    It's not that long ago that you could see the shape of Seagrove from the air.
    Allan, yes - I looked at Google yesterday and very hard to define - the track was at the end of Seagrove Road which is now a farm.
    The area described as Seagrove - next to Waiuau Pa.
    In 1990 I took the Austin Healey Club on a run during the Annual Rally around a group of Motorsport venues in South Auckland /Franklin which included a visit to the end of Seagrove Road, [ not much to see even then ] and as luck would have as we returned to Pukekohe East to the Motel the entry gates at Pukekohe were open so we drove down to the area by the Tote building [ now demolished ] and the track gate was open, so .. after a very brief discussion - and a couple of rules don't go to fast and DO NOT PASS I led the whole group on an unofficial lap of the track, then we quietly drove out again. For many there only time ever on the track

It always was a farm at Seagrove, as were Waharoa and Raglan and others originally, "acquired" during the war as an airfield. When I went out there sometime in the 80's we went and asked the farmer if we could take a walk, to which he agreed. Many of the hexagonal concrete slabs were still in place, and being used for feed out areas, and parking farm machinery. It wasn't hard to figure the circuit and the way the airfield had been laid out.

Readings for the lockout.
    A lot more waiting, but these ones are my choices for the month.

Name:  DSC_0381.JPG
Views: 550
Size:  112.1 KB

I am re-reading some old Magazines - Sports Car World - from Australia 1961 - 1964 a few random copies that I was given.
    - including this one.

Name:  Motoring Books #432 SCW July 61 AH 3000cover 2020_01_05_1213 (576x800) (2).jpg
Views: 667
Size:  181.7 KB

Grant Howard was their new Zealand correspondent .

Poster from the 50th Anniversary year of Lakeside 2011.

In 2011 to celebrate Lakeside 50 years 1961 - 2011 - they ran a series of Special Events - apart form the usual series of meetings.
    In April May July and August there were special themed meetings around the various classes of Classic / Historic Racing.

Moved to Queensland, Bribie Island in the May - only 40 minutes from Kurwongbah where the track is located.
    - Missed the first meetings but got to the last two.

Name:  Motoring Books #599 Lakeside 50 years poster 2011 2020_04_23_1470 (457x640) (2).jpg
Views: 604
Size:  149.6 KB

Nearly up to the 60th Anniversary now, and may get there as this years trip - which should have been starting tomorrow is cancelled.

You don't happen to have the May 1962 issue of Sports Car World do you, Roger?

Looking for details from the Sandown Park International report in that...

Sports Car World - magazines in my colection.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    You don't happen to have the May 1962 issue of Sports Car World do you, Roger?

Looking for details from the Sandown Park International report in that...
    Ray Bell, looking in the box - " the box " is what BMC BOY sent the magazines in to me, the answer is No.
    Sports Car World issues I have are
    1960 - November
    1961 - April, May July [ '61- Cover below '], September, October, November
    1963 - June
    1964 - March and April
    1965 - September
    1967 - September
    1968 - October .

The other Australian Magazine is " Australian Motor Racing Annual - 1971 ".

Will scratch around though, as when this Country re-opens, will get to the " Greerton Vintage Fayre " and other local events and scour the " Op Shops " and " Secondhand Book Shops ".

Listed the issues in case others are looking for information

Name:  Motoring Books #432 SCW July 61 AH 3000cover 2020_01_05_1213 (576x800) (2).jpg
Views: 598
Size:  181.7 KB

Ray. Sandown report from SCW May 1962. I have a full set of Sports Car Worlds if you need any any other information from them.

Attachment 66202

Attachment 66203

Attachment 66204
    Last edited by Milan Fistonic; 04-27-2020 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    Ray. Sandown report from SCW May 1962. I have a full set of Sports Car Worlds if you need any any other information from them.

Attachment 66202

Attachment 66203

Attachment 66204
    Brilliant, Milan, thanks for that detail

Just realised that the images have gone - the Site no doubt.
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 04-28-2020 at 01:55 AM. Reason: images gone grr ..###47

Milan, that would be great if you could send them to me...

r@ybell.net

Weekend Warrior
    I have just gone through my library and was a astounded at what I did have. Here are a few:

The Bruce McLaren Scrapbook by Jan McLaren & Richard Becht
    Kiwi Bike Culture by Steve Holmes
    Burt Munro – A Scrapbook of his life
    The Vintage Years at Brooklands by Dr Joseph Bayley
    Full Throttle by Sir Henry Birkin
    Dick Seaman by HRH Prince Chula Chakkabongse
    Motor Racing Facts and Figures by Rodney L Walkerley
    McLaren Memories by Eoin Young
    When the Flag Drops by Jack Brabham with Elizabeth Hayward
    In the Track of Speed by Stirling Moss
    Bruce McLaren, The Man and his Racing Team by Eoin Young
    The Motorsport Photography of Terry Marshall
    Classic Motorcycles – Norton by Don Morley
    Zephyrs & Zodiacs by Tim Chadwick
    Legends on Two Wheels by Rhys Jones
    Saloon Motorsport in New Zealand by Tim Chadwick

Quote Originally Posted by Barrie View Post
    I have just gone through my library and was a astounded at what I did have. Here are a few:
    Full Throttle by Sir Henry Birkin
    Dick Seaman by HRH Prince Chula Chakkabongse
    Two of the books on Dad's smallest bookshelf alongside his lounge chair. Sadly, when I went over for his funeral, I never grabbed them, and should have done. They probably got grabbed along with about 800 other books when they started clearing some of the house.

Flat To The Boards

Guys, I am looking for this book, by Dick Messenger and Doug Woods.
    Have had offers of a couple one signed one not, but thought would ask on here in case someone has a surplus to requirements copy - $50 ish or so - plus would pay postage !!

" Flat To The Boards A History of Motor Car Sport in New Zealand From 1901 to 1940
    Messenger A R E, Wood Douglas E
    Published by Craig Printing Co. Ltd., New Zealand, 1985 "

This is Michael Nidd the artists original Artwork

Name:  Motoring Books #194 Book cover for ‘Flat to the boards’ from way back in ‘85. Michael Nidd .jpg
Views: 769
Size:  95.0 KB

PM me if interested in selling

Cheers

Roger