I did reply to this post but my post must have gone walk about ? Yep there is no year on this race .

..does put doubts on it as does lack of the story by mechanics but if it occured it may not have been 1972 it may have occured some years earlier but there are limits - the Fergusson 4wd Capri first saw the light of day in 1969 , The Chrysler 180 in 1970 - so if it occured somewhere between 1970-1972

Eion Young is a good suggestion but he may have been away covering other stories - He did seem to have a good relationship with Ford over the years (Did he do some work in PR for Ford?) while writing his columns Fords were often his company cars he borrowed -on one of his columns there write up of him driving one of first Mercury Cougars in the UK - he may have some knowledge of Fergusson Ford Capri 4wd cars

I surprised he is not on this board ...and do not have his email

Personally I believe the one of the guys who had the knowledge to put this 'report together' was one of Autocars overseas correspondents and it would not surprise me if Jerry Sloniger wrote this!

I guess we will never know the full story
It will be believeable as Adminal Bird going to Antartica on a so called 'Science mission' with a aircraft carrier, several warships and 5000 men around 1946 ...that story has never being fully explained. What or who was down there?

Well time to work on next find from my vault - Story #2