Fair points above. We no longer have cars on track that were regularly competing 20 years ago, as they are now too valuable to risk on the track (accidents will always happen). What we do NOT want in the classic area is any dilution of the very thing that sets us apart from modern racing - variety of make and model. If we insist on exceptionally tight rules (other than purist or K), then all that will happen long term, is that people will only be in a position to run very popular cars where the restoration or reproduction parts industry is vast and that by definition is only going to be popular makes and models previously produced in vast numbers.

One of the often overlooked points is the scarcity of original trim AND panels. NZeder is on the same hymn sheet as we are regarding trim. As long as the car is finished to a presentable standard, the absence of almost impossible to source trim is totally irrelevant.

The other issue of fibreglass panels whether they be arches or straight copies of originals, means that originals in good condition can be preserved - as they need to be.

As for rules, this is a red herring as the rules for sports that have a hundred year plus history are still changing and that includes major sports such as football, rugby and rugby league and even badminton. For those of us of a senior age, we remember when there was no such thing as substitutes in a soccer or rugby match. Those rules and several others have changed since I gave up playing soccer. There was a time when a soccer goalkeeper holding the ball, could be shoulder charged into the net. Why do the rules change?

Because very few rules are totally locked in concrete, as time marches on, the bigger picture is essential for the sport to survive. We are no different. (By that , I mean the ERC Series just as much as the T & C rules.) I understand some of the issues the commission has to deal with, but there comes a time when some tough decisions have to be made. By all means retain 100% pure cars as there will always be a place for them, but history will show quite clearly that the most interest is generated by the odd balls, the one offs, those where individuality came to the fore, not a load of identical clones.

Stamping out individuality is spitting into the face of the great Kiwi engineers of the past. Without it you wouldn't be raving about breadvan Anglias, Twin Cam A40's, the Lycoming special, the Zephyr Corvette, Morrari, Custaxie, V8 Starlets, rear engined V8 Marina. Alfetta and so on.

If this is far too complex for the Commission to cope with, then delegate, but the CoD system, or more correctly, the existing rules, are catering for a valid section of the fraternity but not all of it. If there are three or four different documents, so be it, but as alluded to above, possession of any piece of paper is worth diddly squat in an invitation series or an invitation meeting - and I have no problem with that at all.