Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tony Sturm in serious condition

Tony Sturm in serious condition

Report on the Herald website that Tony had a serious end over end roll at Taupo and is in serious condition.
    Not good to hear, recover well Tony.

World Champion
    Yeh, not good. Tony and I were among the very few drivers still going, who competed in those first Classic meetings at Old Taupo circuit in the early 1980's. Was an end-over-end roll-over so not sure what happened. Tony certainly knew the car as he has owned it for 25 years or more. Was always a tough competitor, so Tony you had better be as tough in Hospital as you were on the track.

Thinking of you at this time.......your mate Geraldo.

Just heard from a mate who is at hospital with Tony - fortunately he is not as bad as first thought but has chipped vertebrae in the upper and lower back, cracked pelvis and both legs/ankles damaged. Considering what has happened he is in good spirits and was just going in for further surgery.
    Evidently a nasty accident just past the old club house and as a result of a coming together Tony hit the tyre wall which threw him into the air and he eventually landed upside down back on the track - his helmet was cracked and grazed from making contact with the track. Hope Tony has a speedy and full recovery.
    Also heard that there was another accident this morning at Taupo (FF?) that required another driver airlifted to hospital.

I can confirm that Tony is in good spirits but can't remember anything of the accident. However, the MGB is a write off which is a sad end to the car built originally by Derek Prior (with Peter Burke), later sold to Greg Bellingham and then Tony. The car won the BMC or ERC series with all three drivers.

Picture taken during the scratch race Saturday.

Name:  214_0111_181b.JPG
Views: 1944
Size:  148.8 KB

The FF accident was a fairly slow roll over at the final turn at Taupo and the unlucky driver, Vic Clarke. In all our years of racing, I don't think there has ever been an injury accident in consecutive races, certainly not requiring a Medivac.

They say trouble comes in threes, and it kicked off with an Alfa competitor scalded when the radiator expansion tank exploded when he was trying to identify a small fluid leak when warming up the car before practice. He returned later in the day and was driving extremely well, leading the field at the time of Tony's accident - lapping faster than normal!

The Herald rang one of our competitors at 1:30am for news of Tony... Not very impressed with them. They never seem to want to cover classic racing unless there is a serious incident.

Full marks to the Taupo marshals and the other officials and particularly to Tony's mates for sorting out the car, their luggage and of course, our best wishes to Tony and Vic for a speedy recovery - and to the marshal who also suffered an injury this morning. Big thanks also to Tony Ollisoff and Arthur Vowles who stopped and rushed to assist.

Probably not the best weekend we have ever had in motorsport terms, but we all know the risks.
    Last edited by ERC; 01-12-2014 at 08:40 AM.

Vic, is a lovely man, has been the Chaplain on Targa for years and always a most thoughtful and genuine man. I am not one given to religion but he is the sort of person who makes you think. Hope all is well Chappy for you too.
    Yes Ray, the media loves to portray the dramatics, even Ron Roycroft talked about the attrition.

Sad news indeed, I wish Tony a speedy and complete recovery. Also it's sad to think the car is destroyed, it has always been one of my favorites... Wayne.

Very sad to hear about Tony & condolences on the loss of his MG. Wishing him a speedy recovery and hope to see him back at the track sometime soon.

Can anyone tell me how Vic is? And his FF of course.

Thanks.
    Kerry C.

I doubt that Tony will be back on track again as he was contemplating selling the car and retiring. Sad that the car is so comprehensively damaged that there is very little of value to be salvaged. It made me think seriously about the possibility of selling the Marcos as Tony was described as "elderly" in the paper...

Just to correct AMCO, Tony sold his original car (also a red MGB) some years ago.

As to Vic, I am not in touch with anyone about his condition, but his car looked salvageable as far as I could see - but I am certainly no expert.

Saturday pic. Vic leading this group.

Name:  214_0111_204b.JPG
Views: 1740
Size:  53.0 KB
    Last edited by ERC; 01-13-2014 at 04:39 AM.

Understand Vic has a badly damaged arm. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

Martin Lucas went to see Vic last night and reports he is in 'good spirits'. Vic is one the stalwarts of our group - he and June always have a cup of coffee for thirsty FFers in their motorhome. We all wish them well.

That's great news Michael. Is Vic in hospital or at home?
    Allan

Thanks to Grant Kern, Dave and Anthony Mallin, Nev Thompson and Todd Forsyth and Andy Wallace for sorting out getting Tony's car (and luggage) back to Auckland, safely strapped down and covered with tarpaulins (away from the Herald's prying eyes...).

Latest news (via Grant) is that:

Tony is doing OK
    He has had his feet set. Apparently he lost a tooth, got a black eye, cuts and bruising on his face.
    His helmet got broken.

Geez that not good news. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery to everyone.

Some helmet shells delaminate on impact, while others may crack or break if severely impacted. This is one way a helmet acts to absorb shock. It is doing its intended job.
    Wishing Tony and Vic both a speedy recovery also.
    Last edited by nzeder; 01-13-2014 at 10:10 PM.
    Mike L

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
    Martin Lucas went to see Vic last night and reports he is in 'good spirits'. Vic is one the stalwarts of our group - he and June always have a cup of coffee for thirsty FFers in their motorhome. We all wish them well.
    Thanks Michael, I was waiting for Martin's update before blundering in.

Vic's roll over seemed to be in slow motion and very gentle, the issue was that the car remained inverted and Vic was trapped and in a lot of pain. Both Martin and Bernie Hines stopped and from my vantage point a fair way away on top of the garages looked to have rolled the car back on its wheels to free Vic before the marshalls arrived.The Historic FF group is very close knit and the accident and aftermath very upsetting especially to those directly involved.

If nothing else these two accidents are a reminder that we are flesh and blood and these things can occur making skimping or arguing over safety gear and roll cage/ bar specs etc irrelevant.

It sure put a dampener on the weekend, I have never taken so much notice of where the marshalls etc were during the warm up laps as I did on Sunday!
    Last edited by Howard Wood; 01-14-2014 at 01:12 AM.

Chicane could do very nicely on Friday, or even Thursday, selling their arm restraints to FFers. Vic mentioned to a visitor today that had he been wearing them, he'd not be in hospital right now but back in Tauranga trying to get his car fixed for this weekend.

Vic's roll was not very gentle it was at least twice possibly three times which is why his right arm was badly damaged.

Chicane could do very nicely on Friday, or even Thursday, selling their arm restraints to FFers. Vic mentioned to a visitor today that had he been wearing them, he'd not be in hospital right now but back in Tauranga trying to get his car fixed for this weekend.
    I have passed that on to Shane, who is back Friday. Chicane do stock them.

I know Ray - $50 aren't they?

I know Ray - $50 aren't they?
    I believe that they stock the G force version and Simpson from $89-$99 incl GST. Probably a small price to pay considering the job they do. Compulsory wear in speedway.