Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Festival of Motor Racing (2014)

Personally, I would consider $40 pretty good value, but I take your point. Big Day out - $185... Speedway $20 (or more for a special event) for 4 hours? Civic Theatre - $100+, Bruce Mason theatre about the same and $8.50 for a beer. Andre Rieu, Cirque du Soleil well over $100 a ticket for just three hours.

Goodwood, Friday practice only - $66 four years ago. I hate to think what our Monaco Historics cost us - and they only manage 8 sessions/races a day with a 40 minute gap between each.

Considering there was action from 9am, to probably after 5pm, 18 races (?) plus demos, that is pretty good value. However, taking a family and feeding them and getting to and fro is expensive, but at least HD don't have the food Nazis on the gate.

My $14 fettuccine fed me at lunchtime and with some cooked up extra sauce, my wife and I at night and there is still a portion left!

Couldn't agree more. Compared with other events I think NZFMR provide very good value for a days entertainment. $40 value in pit walk alone. Much rather spend that than pay the $$$ for a day at the Pukekohe concrete tunnel for Aussie V8s

I agree that the day would have been worth the money, I'd have been there if I hadn't rather put the $100 towards a new harness for my Lotus so I can get it on the road a wee bit quicker. For dyed in the wool classic race fans, $100 for the day is well worth it . However, if you want to catch a wider group and grow that fan-base you might need to look at pricing. At the end of the day value is measured by how many people purchase. If numbers are dissapointing then judgement has been passed, assuming appropriate marketing etc.

I assume visitor numbers especially unique visitors are being measured each day? It may be that you've simply spread the general public (i.e. not your core attendees) attendance over 6 days instead of 3. If numbers aren't good then your model is wrong, as simple as that.
    Last edited by Paul Wilkinson; 01-20-2014 at 05:52 AM.

Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Habu View Post
    As a member of the paying public, I was disappointed at the quantity of cars in some of the fields, compared to previous Festivals I have attended. Was it because Kumeu was on the same weekend, was it because Taupo was the week before, or was it because the focus was for a marque? I dont have the answers to any of the questions, but I will admit that this years festival didnt appear to have the same kind of "vibe" that every other I have been to had.

I read on another website this morning that the crowd yesterday (incidently the only day I went, or will be going), was said to be the largest so far? I noted a lack of trade support relative to other years, and the timetable was a bit slow.

Dont get me wrong, I appreciate the massive effort to promote and run this event and I know we are damn lucky to have an event like this in NZ. But I was still disappopinted, given the price to attend, the fact that its the only motor racing event I take my teenage son too, and that some classes were appearing a little thin for quantity, or depth of vehicle content.

Oh yeah, yes I've raced, and I know what it takes to prepare and run an older vehicle, and have assisted with promoting and running motorsport events previously..........just saying
    Hi Habu.
    As one of the directors of the Festival, I can tell you that we think long and hard about the upcoming Festival and try to make each year a bigger and better 'circus'. The competitor entry was down, noticeably the BMW's, but the new class of Sports Sedans added many interesting cars. Next week there will be three new classes, including Formula Libre. The Taupo round the weekend before does impact on the Festival, but HRC has many competitors asking for that event, so what do we do? There were more trade stands than last year, positioned down the wall where the spectators come in. Ray mentioned that some classic and historic events are free for spectators, but these are the low profile events that cater solely for the competitors. All HRC events are marketed and advertised to try to build up classic and historic racing and a gate charge is made to cover these costs. We are trying to build up motorsport overall, firstly by building a circuit and then promoting race meetings to the public. I know the $40 entry charge is at the upper level, but early bird and online purchasing is cheaper. (V8 Supercars are considerably more expensive). My wife and I went to the movies the other night the other night and paid $17 each for a two hour film - 8 hours of motorsport is much better value! I think we have learnt that both competitors and spectators are fickle and we definitely cannot please them all, but I guess we will keep trying!

It looks like a fantastic, world class event. Any criticism I've given is intended to be positive. I'm sure we all appreciate all the hard work, time and money you've all put into it.

Tony, I am drafting a positive response to you and your committee, as like many on here, I desperately want this annual event to be a huge success. I first of all need to circulate an email for a response from our own drivers on one aspect of it - and you'll get that email tomorrow anyway!

I have also sent an email to Habu and Shoreboy57 for their views.

There`s an old saying `you can`t please all the people all the time, you can only please some people some of the time' and that is pretty much the case here. Being on the inside looking out, the first thing about the weekend when the HMC marquee blew over, was firstly how everyone pitched in to help, and secondly that no one was hurt or worse. I`m not a religious person but someone was looking out for us. The Festival is a social occasion whereby you don`t get reemed for pit walks, etc and where everyday people can enjoy a good family outing and get to see some pretty exotic cars and a lot of kiwi ingenuity. It is also about celebrating NZ motorsport history and for those that can see a bit beyond their noses, the `older' generation are gradually leaving this world, so make the most of the opportunity you are given to meet and speak with them.

I have just returned to Christchurch after having a fantastic weekend at the Festival. Tony, you have a great facility, I really enjoyed having a thrash around in a borrowed Ferrari. I found everyone extremely friendly, and have made some great contacts for my own racing projects. I agree that the fields were a bit thin, but the quality of racing was right up there. I agree also that you are better to have conforming cars than just letting anyone in to make up numbers. I'm sad that I won't see Barry's Monaro run, but seeing the other Sports sedans and HMC cars race was worth the trip. A special thanks to Tony Rutherford, Ray Williams, and all the other track workers who made me feel so welcome. Pete Blomfield

I went along on Saturday and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a meeting where there is just as much (more) action in the pits than out on the track. Hats off to all those involved, both racers and organisers.

Also I was only charged $20 and parked free infield, so if you have something a bit different then the show and shine makes it both cheaper for you and gives the punters yet another thing to look at.

Keep up the good work guys.

Limezed- thanks for dropping in and saying hello. Good to catch up with you and from the look in your eyes, we need to find a space for you to play in.Still enjoy your video
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 01-20-2014 at 08:57 AM.

The thing that really struck me and I guess I am a tad biased, was the enthusiasm of the punters around the HMC marquee. (fortunately that was the only roll over for the weekend!!!) It was jaw dropping stuff for a lot of them. When all said and done, the fact is that the festival is all about history and it is active and punters get involved in it. For the majority of classes, punters were curious, asked a lot of questions and showed immense interest in the cars. For a lot of the kids they would never have seen anything like it before in their lives so well done to the competitors, the officials and Jim Barclay and his band of organisers. Was great to see Racer T having an experience of a lifetime in driving the PDL Mustang, makes a change from the air conditioned General. He will be buzzing for weeks after that and will probably get a second dose this weekend!!!!!
    Dave Graham

Hey Snoozin, absolutely brilliant photo's!!!!!
    I will need to get some enlargements done later of some of those.
    That photo of the F1 car could have been taken at any racing circuit - and unless you said turn x at Hampton Downs, then one would automatically think somewhere in Europe.
    Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Snoozin View Post
    Fantastic day, I can't make it tomorrow due to other event commitments but here is a few so far. Hundreds to come!

IMG_8063 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

IMG_8100 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

IMG_8115 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

IMG_8715 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

IMG_8858 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

In this modern day and age I wouldn't have thought that the admission price was at all over the top. The fact that you can poke your head inside the cars and under the bonnet and talk to the drivers and crew is a big plus. Reminds me of the Tasman Series races back in the 60's when you could go and talk to the F1 drivers who came out here for some R & R.

Where would historic racing be if it wasn't for the efforts put in by all of the people at HD and the Historic racing Club. A damn great job by all.

HD, you all do a great job, from the top office right to the people looking after pits, the track, cleaning toilets etc. You do it as well as is possible.

Sit a young kid in a F5000 and tell parent to get photos and look at the reaction of the kid (just mention it and kids eyes open) and the parents, it is easy to chat to them and answer questions. Now next year that parent will be hounded, 'dad lets go to the racing'
    Also it is amazing how many faces I see from previous meetings and some stop and chat, others just nod take photo and wander on.
    Why they do this is because they are allowed to, and I believe it is a wonderful thing, so hats off Tony, Graham and crew, well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Wilkinson View Post
    It looks like a fantastic, world class event. Any criticism I've given is intended to be positive. I'm sure we all appreciate all the hard work, time and money you've all put into it.
    Hi ya Paul....ha ha ha ,,,mate I would pay $200 just to go see me drive a Ferrari 458 around this track. Plus another $200 just to listen to the music of that V12 F1 car.....Come along next weekend with your family mate....pay ya $40 or what ever it is...come have a photo in the Safety Car....I will chuck a couple of extra peanut butter sanga's in the lunch box for you and even let you use my fridge in the end bay to keep your drinks cold! We could have a natter about the good old days and the mean green machine that gave us our jollys a few years back .....the atmosphere and friendliness of everyone including any of the stars there....(.me included...ha ..) I have met some lovely people here and everyone seems to be so bloody happy......not a shithead to be seen....oh and did anyone mention an air display........Mate ya gotta do it! I will guarantee you that you will go home feeling like you had one great day and ya kids will be fizzing at the bung like an old keg. If by the remotest chance you don't leave the track in trance like state with a strange smile on ya dial I will recompense any money spent! Besides all that, I wouldn't mind catching up with you. Kindest regards, Tony Rutherford.

I would also like to give a big vote of thanks to the flaggies who stand out in the weather all day long and cannot get to see any of the pit action because of where they are. They do a marvellous and sometimes thankless job but we wouldn't have any races without them and their commitment.

I have friend who owns a Lamborghini Aventador and he just loves letting people sit in it to have their photos taken. It is amazing the number of older women who are keen to have their photos taken sitting in the car. And the grins on peoples faces when they get out says it all. Yes that would give kids something to tell their mates at school.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!
    Your appreciation is.....appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi285 View Post
    I would also like to give a big vote of thanks to the flaggies who stand out in the weather all day long and cannot get to see any of the pit action because of where they are. They do a marvellous and sometimes thankless job but we wouldn't have any races without them and their commitment.

I have friend who owns a Lamborghini Aventador and he just loves letting people sit in it to have their photos taken. It is amazing the number of older women who are keen to have their photos taken sitting in the car. And the grins on peoples faces when they get out says it all. Yes that would give kids something to tell their mates at school.

Thanks everyone who has posted up photos here for those who couldn't attend. Don't you just love the internet! Keep the pics coming guys, this stuff is really enjoyable.

I see a few comments relating to car numbers at this event. To my mind, and this is just a personal thing, an event like this should always be about quality, not quantity. OK, if you can have both, that would be ideal, but for me an event like this is about seeing the best and most interesting cars, not merely seeing lots of cars.

There are cars running at this event that you cannot see anywhere else. For me, there are four cars I really want to see, for personal reasons. They are the Graeme Addis Charger, the Barry Algie Monaro, Ian Algie Alfetta, and the Sidchrome Mustang. I was born in the 1970s, and grew up watching Sports Sedan racing, and seeing these amazing, wild and crazy cars that were so loud, temperamental, and unique.

I always loved watching the Ian Algia Alfetta, and am really looking forward to actually seeing this car race again for the first time since the late 1980s. Same with the Addis Charger. I saw this car racing in period, and always loved it. I haven't seen the car for over 25 years. I only saw the Sidchrome Mustang race once, at Manfeild, in the early 1980s when George owned it. I never got to see the Barry Algie Monaro race. My local race track was Manfeild, and Barry never ventured down that far during any of my visits. But I got to see the car on tv when it raced at Pukekohe and Bay Park.

For me, the $40 entry is worth it just to see these cars, as they're all a part of my childhood, and the very reason I am so passionate about motor racing. I guess, they're the very reason this website exists.

OK, of course there are many others I'm looking forward to seeing, but for me its about the individual cars, and the stories they tell, and not so much about the racing itself.

I am sure there are many others like me, who attend just to see one or two cars in particular. Thats what this event is about. Quality over quantity every time for me.

Thanks to Shoreboy57 and Habu for their PMs and comments. Much appreciated.

Sorry Steve, low numbers are a massive put off for paying spectators. Fine wandering around the pits, but try sitting out on the track and see how fast you (and the family) get bored looking at empty tarseal.

Continued low grid numbers will kill the Festival and I'll say it publically even if others might not, but half a grid of BMW E30s is not an attraction that I would pay for - ever. A full grid of E30s I could tolerate at the Festival - just, but only if there were no other more interesting and worthy cars available.