Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Ken Hyndman Collection

Photos: The Ken Hyndman Collection

Name:  FH010007.jpg
Views: 4254
Size:  157.7 KB

Ken Hyndman joined The Roaring Season in late 2013. Upon joining, he sent me this wonderful message:

"I grew up in the Morrinsville, New Zealand, area during the days of Dennis Marwood, Bryan Innes and Spinner Black etc. Great memories. Went to England in 1972 and got a job working on Hewland transmissions at Trojan Works.
    A wonderful experience with Can Am and F5000 cars and drivers and we were also the workshop for Suzuki of GB and could go to bike races to help Barry Sheene in his early days. I used to go to races with Patrick Head in my Morris Minor as neither of us had any money in those days !

"I left when the fuel crunch slowed things at the end of 1973 and came to California and married and remain here. I spent one month in 1975 helping my good friend Graham Donaldson on the Teddy Yip team with Sid Taylor and Tony Brise as the brilliant driver in the T330 as we did the Long Beach, Laguna Seca and Riverside F5000 races before Tony sadly lost his life with Graham Hill a few weeks later. I have just followed racing since.

Thank you for this site.

I have some photos to share from back then if you are interested".

Interested? Absolutely! I'm hoping Ken will share not only his images from his time in motor racing, but also his stories. He has already sent me an interesting collection of the photos he has taken, which I'll be posting here. The first batch of these are from the 1973 British Grand Prix, and they're just beautiful!

Ken takes up the story:

"I had the 'awful' task of taking some transmission parts to Sid Taylor from our Trojan shop to be put in Jody Scheckter's F5000 T101 before it was sent to the States. That let me in so I could watch from above the McLaren (for whom Scheckter was driving this weekend) pit while the action went on below. I only had a 24 capacity 35 mm film in my camera so I tried to make the most of what I could".

Ken has provided a description to go with many of his photos, so I'll post that description with each, as this really helps the photos tell the story.

Enjoy!

"This photo shows Jody talking to Jackie after Jackie almost lost it coming out of Woodcote corner.
    24 hours later Jody did lose it in a huge crash that wiped out 1/2 the field!"

Name:  FH000020.jpg
Views: 4178
Size:  158.9 KB

"This photo shows Teddy Mayer with his back to Peter Revson watching Emerson Fittipaldi. Peter wins the F1 race and finds out on the Monday he is being replaced for the 1974 season by Emerson Fittipaldi".

Name:  FH000017.jpg
Views: 4597
Size:  183.8 KB

Seeing these photos (and hopefully more) has convinced me that I need to complete one of the items on my bucket list and that is to see a race of the historic 3 litre F1 from the mid 60's to the late 70's. There seems to be a few on the go so I will start making some plans. Where is my Lotto ticket LOL

"As I said I went to the track with parts from Trojan Works for Sid Taylor’s F5000 T101 that was driven by Jody Schechkter. Jody was the exciting new boy in F1 and on the practice day everyone was clamoring to see him in action. 24 hours later he had caused havoc in a huge crash right in front of where these photos were taken which wiped out about 9 cars and everyone hated Jody’s driving style!

"This Grand Prix was also the only one I think where 4 Kiwis qualified to start; Denis Hulme, Howden Ganley, Chris Amon and Graham McRae in a drive for Williams".

Name:  FH000001.jpg
Views: 4297
Size:  172.9 KB

See Peter Bruin standing in front of Yardley car

World Champion
    This photo is of Jackie Ickx being pushed along pit road in the disappointing Ferrari 312B3.
    He was so upset with it that he refused to drive it again until the team could make it more
    competitive ! He drove for McLaren and the Iso Marlboro in 1973 while he waited. Can you imagine
    that happening today in F1 !
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 01-16-2014 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    This photo is of Jackie Ickx being pushed along pit road in the disappointing Ferrari 312B3.
    He was so upset with it that he refused to drive it again until the team could make it more
    competitive ! He drove for McLaren and the Iso Marlboro while he waited. Can you imagine
    that happening today in F1 !
    Enzo never took criticism of his cars well

"That is the boxer Joe Bugner walking though the pits and talking to Jackie Stewart (note the height difference!)"

Name:  FH010010.jpg
Views: 3801
Size:  176.6 KB

Name:  FH010011.jpg
Views: 3675
Size:  124.5 KB

Wonderful atmosphere. Before Uncle Bernie got his hands on F1

The shot of Jackie Stewart sitting beside Jody Scheckter and talking about a whoopsie that he had reminds me so much of what Motorsport was like before the current crap started taking over. Can you imagine the egos letting any of them do this now - they are all so full of themselves and in all probability no better than anyone else.

Give me those days anytime to the modern crap - I wouldn't go out the back door to see modern racing and I don't even bother watching TV when it is shown.

Just working on a coupla DFVs in the carpark. As you do (or did).

just replacing a DFV would be a better description i think

Quote Originally Posted by 928 View Post
    just replacing a DFV would be a better description i think
    Still not the antiseptic conditions required today by their descendants! And someone gets to see it rather than hidden away from the enthusiasts who keep the sport alive.

I am 100% sure these people wouldn't know or care who keeps them in business. Its all about them and their big secret squirrel stuff - the fans are a pain in the ass who should be kept right away form them. Drivers, motor homes should be banned and the wan..rs made to front up to the paying public
    Last edited by kiwi285; 01-21-2014 at 08:00 PM.

Mike, drop in to pit after racing on weekend and I will show you some of our 'secret' stuff, bring a nice big glass. F5000 pits always open to public, it is hard to consentrate on what you are doing sometimes with the sights, but we get by. Thats the glory of 'classic' meetings, all welcome and wander in for a chat.

World Champion
    Hulme's M 23 had an oil leak after practice so here are the mechanics hard at work taking out the DFV and putting in the race engine which is sitting right in front in full view for all of us to watch. An engine change today would mean going to the back of the grid but not back in 1973. Note how the rear wing is propped up against the Tyrrell transporter beneath Francios Cevert's name ! All the teams had the same work conditions. I would like to get the names of the mechanics as I admired how they got 3 McLarens on the first 3 rows of the starting grid that day. (That guy in the white t-shirt seems to be in most of my photos !)
    from Ken Hyndman.

The McLaren indycar team had a sponsor whose name was Boyd Jeffries and I believe the guy in the white t-shirt was his son who spent the summer with the F1 team. I cannot remember his name.