Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
In the garage area is Roger Penske in discussion in front of # 7 Camaro that was to be driven by Emerson Fittipaldi that day.
As usual Roger is impeccably dressed even to the black shiny shoes as the rest of us had the dusty versions !

(Note special spare IROC motor in the background, painted gray )

This car went on to be one of the best as noted in this article.

"The black number seven 1974 Chevrolet Camaro IROC Race Car was offered for sale at the 2006 RM Auction in Monterey California where it was expected to sell between $100,000-$150,000. It was offered without reserve. Driven by Bobby Allison, Bobby Unser plus Emerson Fittipaldi who drove this vehicle and never lost a race while behind the wheel. This vehicle was never defeated. It is thought that the vehicle was a Penske/Donohue prototype car. It was dubbed 'lucky number seven' due to its very prestigious accomplishments on the racing circuit. "

Name:  RIVERSIDE_0005_NEW.jpg
Views: 1489
Size:  146.8 KB

(Ken Hyndman )
Outstanding images Ken! Thanks for sharing. The 1974/75 IROC season was the second year for the series. It was also the first year in which Camaros were used. The first season the cars were Porsche RSR's. My guess is that the car pictured was no more special than the other cars, or at least, that was not the intention. As you know, you can build two cars identical, but its always possible one is just a little bit better than the other.

Mark Donohue raced in IROC the first year, with the Porsches, and I think his successes here did a great deal for his reputation, and even in his own mind. Traditionally, Donohue hated having a team mate, as he was convinced he wasn't a great driver, and that he was able to better set up his car, which helped him to win. But he beat some of the very best drivers in the world in the first year of IROC, winning two of the three races, and I think this really cemented his reputation as one of the greats.

Thanks again for the photos Ken. Its rare to see such great early IROC images.