Thread: Photos: The Ken Hyndman Collection

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    World Champion
    The Trojan T101 / 103 was the car I took the Hewland parts for to Silverstone as the car was being driven then in the US.
    The first time it came out was at Brand Hatch in March 1973 and Jody did not push it too hard as he had McLaren commitments for the Race of Champions that weekend.
    This photo shows my boss Robert Redford in the dark suit walking alongside the super mechanic, Ron Bennett, for Sid Taylor in the Brands Hatch paddock area and the Trojan T101 / 103 at it's debut March 1973.

Name:  Jody%20Scheckter%20Trojan%20T101%20Smith%20GY%20White___.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  159.0 KB

With Jody Scheckter driving this Trojan went on to be very successful in the 1973 US F 5000 season winning 3 of the first 4 races and coming 2nd in the other. We were all excited for the future at Trojan Racing but the 73 season was to be the last winning season and as I already noted they did not achieve any success after I left !

In Old racing cars.com it shows that this Trojan T 101 has had quite a history of being cut up and altered although in recent "For Sale" ads
    it looks remarkably good.
    From Oldracingcars.com;
    " Trojan T101

Built for 1973 season. Jerry Entin and Sid Taylor for Jody Scheckter UK 1973 (two races) and US 1973 (three wins and one second in the first four races; crashed in practice at Watkins Glen and repaired at Trojan works; thereafter used at R6 Elkhart Lake and R9 Seattle; also for Sam Posey in the heat at R7 Road Atlanta and Steve Durst at R8 Pocono. Scheckter bought a Lola T330 with his winnings after Elkhart Lake allowing him to add a win and a third and to win the series. The Trojan was returned to UK with Syd Taylor and advertised through to August 1974.

The next part of this car's life is something of a puzzle. It is next seen with Jon Bradburn in 1981 when it would have been the spare monocoque he advertised with 102 and it would appear therefore that it had traveled with its sister car 102 via Damien Magee and Jim Kelly. With F5000 having finished and having even fallen out of fashion for sprints and hillclimbs, Bradburn was unable sell the car and it was eventually stripped and sold to Anthony Taylor. Taylor continued to part out the car and even removed the bulkheads in order to build a special. Simon Hadfield recalls seeing it about 1990/92 when it was just a cut about monocoque but still had Scheckter's Winston Tires livery on the remaining skins. It was finally sold to Othmar von Diemar (Cologne, Germany) about 1997 and slowly restored by Peter Denty. It was initially raced c2001 in dark blue livery but was put into Jody Scheckter colours over the winter for the 2002 season. Sold in late 2010 via James Hanson of Speedmaster to Mike Sidgwick (Lancashire, UK). Raced in white Winston livery at Oulton Park June 2011. Raced by Sidgwick in HSCC events in 2014, 2015 and 2016. Also raced by Sidgwick in F5000 Tasman Revival races in early 2017.

Driven by: Jody Scheckter, Sam Posey and Steve Durst. First race: Brands Hatch (UK R1), 17 Mar 1973. Total of 10 recorded races. "

Recently for sale.
    https://collectorscarworld.com/listi...-trojan-t-101/

Name:  1973 Trojan T 101.JPG
Views: 676
Size:  159.3 KB

When I first started at Trojan I snapped some photos not realizing then that they would be used as in this "Primotipo" article.
    It was hard to believe that 10 years earlier in 1963 I was a complete little nerd who had had a knee operation, appendix removed and just lost my father and a wall flower at all the school dances etc. etc.. Now in 1973, I had met the beautiful Californian woman who was to become my wife, traveled around the globe and had a job where I could watch and meet race drivers I had only read about before. All my school books were filled with motor racing art and now I was living a dream.I was very blessed then and I still am. (Still the little nerd !)

An interesting read here;
    https://primotipo.com/2018/03/26/jod...d-trojan-t101/

Trojan Racing workshop. October 1972.
    Name:  Trojan%20F5000_NEW_0001 (2).jpg
Views: 681
Size:  183.8 KB
    (Ken Hyndman photo.) Note, Jody Scheckter McLaren M21 body panel in foreground.

(Ken Hyndman.)
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 12-24-2019 at 06:17 AM.