Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Ken Hyndman Collection

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    GD66
    I do not know why I took this photo of the flag marshals at Bay Park.October 1969.
    It looks like everyone has left except you dedicated guys. Are you in this photo ?
    No mate. That's actually the next marshal's post in advance, halfway down the back straight, you can see the quarter-mile straight, the back of the pits and the right-hander in the background. I did flag at this spot for that year's F5000 Christmas meeting, and stood trackside with Lawrence, Goth, Grable and co whistling beneath my fluttering blue flag. OK I might have had jandals on my feet, but I had the mandatory White Coat...

World Champion
    Milan,
    Thanks for this article. I do not know Alan. We are possibly distant relatives. I know one had a book store in Dunedin so that would be the side of the family that achieved something in life. Perhaps, thanks to you, we will make contact and sort out the family tree.
    Cheers,
    Ken Hyndman.
    (The dreamer who thought he would be back to drive here one day. 47 years later and he still is a dreamer ! )
    Bay Park October 1969.

Attachment 38271
    This is what it looks like today. Is that progress ? I am glad I came along when I did.
    Name:  Rosberg Place where Bay Park was..JPG
Views: 1341
Size:  64.0 KB

(Ken Hyndman )
    Attached Images Attached Images  

World Champion
    I sometimes find an old photo that seems pretty blurred at the bottom of the shoe box# 2 and it will bring back a memory.
    This was at Oran Park, NSW on August 9, 1970 and it shows the field on the opening lap of this touring car race.
    I think I have the correct names in order.
    Bill Brown in his Porsche 911 S, Ian (Pete) Geoghegan in his Mustang, Jim McKeown in his Porsche 911S, Brian Foley in his Porsche 911 S
    followed by Allan Moffat in his Mustang plus others unidentified.
    Name:  1970 Oran Park.jpg
Views: 1281
Size:  96.2 KB
    (Ken Hyndman photo )
    That was a very good field which made for a very good race as described at this site.

http://www.classicmotorsport.com.au/...previous-photo

Name:  Oran Park. 1970.jpg
Views: 1249
Size:  119.2 KB

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 10-21-2016 at 04:41 PM.

World Champion
    During my posting on the Damon Hill thread I kept thinking I had taken a photo of Graham Hill at Long Beach talking to my friend Graham Donaldson and getting Graham to come on board the Hill Embassy Team and be a mechanic for Tony Brise in the 1976 Formula One Season. After the US 1975 F5000 season Graham D. went back to England and looked for a place to live while the Hill team went testing in France. That is why he was not on that fateful flight.
    Anyway this weekend I was cleaning out and came across some old photos of a house we had in San Diego and stuck at the bottom of the envelope were some negatives that I have attempted to develop. So here we go from the Hyndman archives.
    First the photo I took of Graham Hill talking to Graham Donaldson during practice for the Inaugural Long Beach Grand Prix in Sept. 1975.
    Name:  PICT0011.JPG
Views: 1144
Size:  100.4 KB
    (Ken Hyndman photo )

Name:  1975 Long Beach.Tony Brise..jpg
Views: 1369
Size:  132.5 KB
    (Ken Hyndman photo )
    Teddy Yip, Julian Randles and Graham Donaldson prepare good old # 64 to go out for practice.
    Tony Brise enjoyed driving this Lola T 332 chassis # HU37. As I have mentioned it was not a pretty car but it was fast with Tony driving.

Name:  PICT0028.JPG
Views: 1192
Size:  177.9 KB
    (Ken Hyndman photo )
    Tony put on a great drive in # 64 but a half shaft broke at this corner on the next lap.
    Then it was onto Laguna Seca and a month later I would meet up with the Theodore Racing team
    again at Riverside. October 26. 1975.
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 01-10-2017 at 02:25 AM.

World Champion
    Riverside International Raceway. October 25/26th 1975.
    Name:  PICT0013 (1).JPG
Views: 1204
Size:  177.6 KB
    (Ken Hyndman photo )
    Practice session for Tony and he qualified 4 th.

Name:  1975 Riverside. Mario Andretti and Al Unser..jpg
Views: 1220
Size:  80.8 KB
    (Ken Hyndman photo.)
    Mario Andretti standing on the right watching as team mate Al Unser prepares to qualify in Viceroy Lola t332 # 51.
    This is the way they finished the main F5000 race with Mario easily winning from Al Unser.

Name:  PICT0029.JPG
Views: 1255
Size:  121.9 KB
    (Hyndman photo)
    Here is the Theodore Team with Tony Brise talking to Julian Randles and Graham Donaldson and Hyndman on the right.
    Just before Tony's last drive and Hyndman's last job as a race mechanic. (Hey, at least I gave it a try and got it off my "bucket list" )

Name:  PICT0016 (1).JPG
Views: 1237
Size:  128.4 KB
    Ken Hyndman photo ..
    Tony Brise about to start the race at Riverside as owner Teddy Yip looks at his watch.
    (This is the last of my lost negatives but I am glad I could share them as they were almost thrown away !)

World Champion
    This was the qualifying field for the Riverside F 5000 race in October 1975.
    Formula 5000 did not get much better than this in the US.;
    Name:  1975 Riverside F 5000 field..JPG
Views: 1095
Size:  169.8 KB

Name:  1975 Riverside program.jpg
Views: 1072
Size:  162.3 KB

(Ken Hyndman )

World Champion
    Plus that weekend, there were two exciting IROC races (International Race Of Champions ) where all the drivers had the same Roger Penske team prepared Camaros and they would all go out and just hammer them ! The US drivers had an advantage when it came to drafting but the others were much braver through the corners. It was all good stuff to watch.
    This was the field for that year.
    Name:  1975 IROC. Riverside..JPG
Views: 1078
Size:  162.6 KB

(Ken Hyndman )

World Champion
    We have not moved since 1979 and when I climbed into the garage rafters I found a box of memorabilia clothing and amongst it all was the Theodore Team racing shirt that I had last worn that day at Riverside over 41 years ago. (Please do not laugh.)
    My wife was surprised to see how much the shirt had SHRUNK !

Name:  PICT0054.JPG
Views: 1010
Size:  100.6 KB
    Riverside. October 1975.

Name:  Theodore Racing Team shirt.# 1jpg.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  77.0 KB

Name:  Theodore Racing Team shirt.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  166.5 KB
    Los Olivos. CA. Jan. 2017
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 01-17-2017 at 12:37 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Surprising that.....all my old stuff has shrunk in a similar way........must be global warming.!

World Champion
    I went to Australia in 1967 for my cousin's wedding. I think the return flight was 27 pounds (Before NZ went decimal ). I was making 5 pound a week so that seemed like a good amount of money back then for an apprentice "grease monkey."
    I remember coming across this GM dealership I think near Kings Cross and there on display was this beautiful Camaro.
    I thought it was a great looking car and always wanted one.
    Name:  PICT0060.JPG
Views: 855
Size:  111.6 KB
    I have a question; were these sold at GM outlets separate from Holden dealerships or did they mingle ?
    The Torana poster in the window reminds me of those commercials back then.

(Ken Hyndman )

Good thing you saw this first and took the pic, after Kings Cross, things may have looked different.
    The things you could get there for 5 bob.
    Adrian Dobbe should love the HB segment- I see Gilda is also starring here...........
    Sign writing shows- Pontiac, Chevrolet and Viva....should be GM
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 01-27-2017 at 01:34 AM.

Name:  1975 Long Beach.Tony Brise..jpg
Views: 1369
Size:  132.5 KB
    I LOVE this photo Ken!

Ken , this a beaut bit of history , and a beaut story , good to see you can suck the tummy in next to the cooper lol....all great fun yr a true champion for sharing these & sum hi to wifeeeee... Grant & Kylie

World Champion
    Yes, thank you Steve.
    These photos certainly bring back a lot of memories of what might have been.
    Name:  Long Beach. 1975..JPG
Views: 847
Size:  157.2 KB

Ken

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Good thing you saw this first and took the pic, after Kings Cross, things may have looked different.
    The things you could get there for 5 bob.
    Adrian Dobbe should love the HB segment- I see Gilda is also starring here...........
    Sign writing shows- Pontiac, Chevrolet and Viva....should be GM
    So John,
    If the GM dealer has a Torana advertisement in the window did the Holden dealer have a Camaro / GM advertisement at their showroom ?

Name:  1967. Camaro in Sydney. Torana window ad.. -.JPG
Views: 816
Size:  33.9 KB

(Ken H)

Ken- at that time HB Torana would be a new model, and so a large poster to announce this. Viva was well established, HA for 3 years.
    HOWEVER....I am not an Aussie expert, so lets wait for those who really know.
    Nice parquet flooring.

Ken- Half the US soldiers I ran into in Vietnam in 1967 were going home to buy a Camaro. Can't recall one that was going to buy a Mustang.
    Allan
    Just an interesting note, some of them were still too young to own a car in the state in which they lived.

Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Carmen Entin with fan and Gordon Calhoun of Goodyear tires and Jerry Entin
    working on the car are Graham Donaldson and Kerry Agapiou and Julian Randles with Sid Taylor on the other side.
    Last edited by Jerry Entin; 02-18-2018 at 02:39 PM.

We have not moved since 1979 and when I climbed into the garage rafters I found a box of memorabilia clothing and amongst it all was the Theodore Team racing shirt that I had last worn that day at Riverside over 41 years ago. (Please do not laugh.)

Name:  PICT0054.JPG
Views: 1010
Size:  100.6 KB
    Riverside. October 1975.

Name:  Theodore Racing Team shirt.# 1jpg.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  77.0 KB

Name:  Theodore Racing Team shirt.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  166.5 KB
    Los Olivos. CA. Jan. 2017
    Hi Ken,
    I have found the same problem with 30+ year old clothing but then I found, like you, that I have developed better abs over that time!